A&H

County Cup Finals

DanRicketts

Level 7 Referee
Anyone had the nod this season? I didn't even have a first round game this year. I can only assume due to reffing on Saturday youth league and being level 7.

The Referee Store
Could be a couple of factors - did you declare at the beginning of the season that you would only do youth, or did you open up to OA also? Are you on the promoton schemen Iby only doing youth games I'd assume no, bu thena gain you'd probably have failed the promotion as only a certin number of games can be youth to qualify for the promotion criteria).

What's your availability like - every weekend or one every other month? from what you've stated I would not expect any CC games, farless quarter / semi or finals. Unless they be the county youth cups / competitions.

Level really has nothing to do with it - CFA's usually use the semi and finals as a pat on the back for those that have done well through the season at their level. As a 7 I was lining a Senior Sunday Cup final in my first season - wasnt on the PS, but availability, admin, season marks etc all fed into it.

@DanRicketts The Essex FA county cup seminar was last night (Friday). All of the referees were told of their selection a few weeks ago.

All referees are considered for every country cup game during the season, but it all depends on how the draw turns out as they will always select a local referee to minimise travel and expenses. You might just be unlucky in that none of the games were near to you. Selection for the Finals is based on nominations, referees on the promotion scheme etc. You have to put yourself out there and badger the appointment secretaries for each cup next season.

As a L7 I got loads of county cup games, usually youth games but even so it was an appointment. As I went to L6 and then 5 I just started getting more and more senior games.

I didn't get a cup final this season either, was pretty gutted really but I had one last season so there's a lot of others due one.

@DanRicketts - @Monotone Whistle is right about nominations for finals - I'm on 3 leagues in Essex plus regularly put my hand up when the RDO asks for availability for certain games - this all helps - and helped me get a cup final this season ... The Seminar was very good last night - included a talk from Wade Norcott ... Monotone is also right about getting more as a L7 than as a L5 ... Maybe though there would have been a few games near you that you could have been appointed to ... It helps to know / talk to the appointment officers - no harm in asking them or the RDO to be considered for them next season - once you get one you'll be on their radar and others should follow

I think i probably got a black mark next to my name for turning down 2 appointments last season. One OA when i only checked the youth box and then another in Basildon when i live in Harlow. Oh well. Role on the rugby reffing!

They've changed the appointment officers since then - give it another shot next season :)

London do not appoint sucessive years, ie if you do a final this year (in any role, ref, AR or 4th) then you will not be considered for a final next year. So those that have one last year don't habe to hold their hope us, as there arent any hopes!

Excerpt.....

"As in keeping with normal protocol, Cup Finals will be allocated to those referees that the Referees Committee feel are best suited to officiate these games, based on experience, club marks, administration, match day time-keeping, commitment & service to the League and most of all, being available on the Saturday of the final. Also this season the Referees Committee will be appointing referees outside of their normal available zones, so as to ensure as much fairness as possible as already 4 of the 5 finals are in zone 1 (east).

If you do not want to be considered for a final outside of your normal area, then please let me know by return or if you wish to be considered for any north/east/west final but not south or vice versa - again let me know asap. If we do not hear from you the appointments will be done on availability dates and the criteria above and you we assume will be proud to be appointed to one of our Cup Finals! "

I've done 8 County Cup games this season. All OA. Today I also did the West Riding FA U18s vs Northumberland FA U18s at County HQ.

I'm hopeful for this year but its not the be all and end all for me this year.....that's now on my final 5-4 Assessment tomorrow!

15 games this season so far, 7 County Cup appointments. Had a final 2 seasons ago and you don't usually get more than one County Final in 10 years in our County. The news that I'm finally going at the end of the season might sneak me an appointment to a junior final.

I got a county cup final last year as a 4th official in an U15s cup game which was a great experience but didn't get one this year unfortunately, I'm not too sure why cos I have done 8 games for county from U13s to OA so not sure why, I'm a bit gutted as to why I didn't get one as I have done more or less the same games as last year,

Does anyone know the protocol of selection for these? Just curious to find out really...

I got a county cup final last year as a 4th official in an U15s cup game which was a great experience but didn't get one this year unfortunately, I'm not too sure why cos I have done 8 games for county from U13s to OA so not sure why, I'm a bit gutted as to why I didn't get one as I have done more or less the same games as last year,

Does anyone know the protocol of selection for these? Just curious to find out really...

It maybe that like most counties yours has the policy of not giving someone a county cup final appointment two years in a row, thus giving more refs the chance of experiencing a final.

Arrived this morning - Ladies Intermediate final on the Line.

Alas, no more free kits, but a "reduced" price on a full kit by using a discount code relevent to cup final 16 and lining Geoff's pockets with £60!!

I've been awarded a county cup semi final on the line and it is a pat on the back for me

Reactions: SM
Congrats to all. I won't be getting one this year as I was on there last year. Also railed against the injustice of it - I don't do Sunday Men's football, so why give me one of their finals, and take away a slot rightfully belonging to someone who is out every Sunday? Maybe I vented too much on social media....

Damnable humanitarianism :p

Reactions: DB
Anyone had the nod this season? I didn't even have a first round game this year. I can only assume due to reffing on Saturday youth league and being level 7.

Totally random, I've had 2 CC appts, one U15 middle and a Senior Youth Cup (U18) line this season.

Just found out that I'll be an AR on the Saturday Junior Final. Really pleased and delighted by the team I'm working with :). Now need to try and stay injury free for the next few weeks :rolleyes:

So your all talking about finals, ive only just been given my first county game all season on the 28th. Its an under 14's game, as a rule i dont do youth football, but as its county didnt want to knock it back

I think i probably got a black mark next to my name for turning down 2 appointments last season.

Well you didn't mention that bit @DanRicketts . The way it works (perhaps unfairly) is that unless you tell them, they assume you are available and will do the job.

I don't know if you are ever going to apply for promotion, but always get your admin spot on and close your dates with County. If you need to turn down an appointment, copy James (the RDO) on the email especially if it's because you don't do OA football - that's a fair enough reason.

All of the county cup officers are listed on the website, get an email into them early next season offering your services...

I was very peeved. The officer asked me then realised it was perry street in Basildon not potter st in harlow. Then he asked me to go to Dagenham!

Back