A&H

Open Age County Cup Appointments

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Hi,

I got an email about 2 weeks ago asking me to confirm my email address for County Cup (CC) games. I did confirm my email address and thought nothing of it as never been given CC games in the past even when doing the same admin process.
This season, however, they have appointed me a game close by, but not easy to get to because I don't drive (yet). My local league knows I don't drive so keeps me local to my address.
Today, however, they have given me a 2nd CC game - this time 50 miles away, making it a 100 mile round trip. Is that not a bit excessive? After all, it is effectively the Sunday Morning league. This is the Berks and Bucks FA.
If I turn it down, it will look very bad on me, but it is just possible for me to do. I work nights, and have no problems doing morning games (as I treat them like 99% of referees treat evening games). But finishing work at Heathrow Airport, and having to get to a game in Milton Keynes is a bit ridiculous is it not?

What would you guys/girls do in my situation?

The Referee Store
E mail appointments officer and explain why it would be "difficult" for you to do this particular match.

Matches are like buses, there will be another one along before too long!

Contact the appointments officer (and RDO if necessary) and explain the situation. They may have forgotten! It wont look bad on you if you are careful in your word choice! Hope it gets sorted!

As the others have said - make it clear that although you are willing to do the game, the fact you don't drive and your non-standard work schedule does make it very difficult. It's possible they'll switch you with another referee, or just take you off.

I'd suggest the same as above, although it may be worth touching Base with the other officials to see if you can get a lift.

My county put it in the instructions that match officials should car share where possible, and that anyone who decides to make their own way there will not be able to claim expenses.

I appreciate working nights makes this more difficult but it's worth looking at available options.

However, that being said if you let them know in plenty of time then I can't see them holding it against you. I had to cry off a cc match tomorrow due to injury, still got a second appointment through for a more senior competition next month.

Hi,

I got an email about 2 weeks ago asking me to confirm my email address for County Cup (CC) games. I did confirm my email address and thought nothing of it as never been given CC games in the past even when doing the same admin process.
This season, however, they have appointed me a game close by, but not easy to get to because I don't drive (yet). My local league knows I don't drive so keeps me local to my address.
Today, however, they have given me a 2nd CC game - this time 50 miles away, making it a 100 mile round trip. Is that not a bit excessive? After all, it is effectively the Sunday Morning league. This is the Berks and Bucks FA.
If I turn it down, it will look very bad on me, but it is just possible for me to do. I work nights, and have no problems doing morning games (as I treat them like 99% of referees treat evening games). But finishing work at Heathrow Airport, and having to get to a game in Milton Keynes is a bit ridiculous is it not?

What would you guys/girls do in my situation?
At first I had some sympathy for your plight and then I thought, you know what... if I was a referee who didn't drive, had to stay close to home and an irregular work schedule, I'd have told everyone who gives me games that I can't drive, need to stay on a public transport route, within a reasonable distance of home and that I can't always do games at certain times.

You haven't and now you're on here asking for advice when your failure to manage the situation has put you in a bad position. How about this? Why don't you pick up the phone and talk to the RDO explaining your situation, apologise for not telling them sooner and then hope they help you out. If not, you lose the game.

I did county cup appointments last season and also received a county cup final which all enjoyed and I've got a Saturday vase competition next month

At first I had some sympathy for your plight and then I thought, you know what... if I was a referee who didn't drive, had to stay close to home and an irregular work schedule, I'd have told everyone who gives me games that I can't drive, need to stay on a public transport route, within a reasonable distance of home and that I can't always do games at certain times.

You haven't and now you're on here asking for advice when your failure to manage the situation has put you in a bad position. How about this? Why don't you pick up the phone and talk to the RDO explaining your situation, apologise for not telling them sooner and then hope they help you out. If not, you lose the game.

Hi,

I wasn't looking for sympathy, just advice on what to do.
I'd never done CC games before, as I'd requested not to considered. But with my driving test coming up, I wanted to expand on my refereeing (which has also taken on Combined Counties league).

Both the Combined Counties and my local leagues know of my situation regarding using public transport, but admittedly I failed to inform the County FA. Both have been fantastic in their allocations so far.

I did think I had ticked a box or something when I re-registered for this season saying I don't have access to own transport, and thought this would have been taken into consideration. My RDO confirmed that I had in my registration informed them of no transport.
However, according to the appointing person it was an oversight.

After a quick exchange of emails, I was transferred to a match much closer, which was played today in great spirits and was very enjoyable.

In future, however, I think I will just send a courteous email if this ever pops up again. Hopefully, however, I will pass my driving test in 10 days and not have to worry about this.

Thanks all.

Hi,

I wasn't looking for sympathy, just advice on what to do.
I'd never done CC games before, as I'd requested not to considered. But with my driving test coming up, I wanted to expand on my refereeing (which has also taken on Combined Counties league).

Both the Combined Counties and my local leagues know of my situation regarding using public transport, but admittedly I failed to inform the County FA. Both have been fantastic in their allocations so far.

I did think I had ticked a box or something when I re-registered for this season saying I don't have access to own transport, and thought this would have been taken into consideration. My RDO confirmed that I had in my registration informed them of no transport.
However, according to the appointing person it was an oversight.

After a quick exchange of emails, I was transferred to a match much closer, which was played today in great spirits and was very enjoyable.

In future, however, I think I will just send a courteous email if this ever pops up again. Hopefully, however, I will pass my driving test in 10 days and not have to worry about this.

Thanks all.
Good luck with your test

Back