A&H

Could have been a problem

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Hopefully I can convey this situation with some accuracy.

Just played advantage for a foul, as ball as run through to attacker heading towards penalty area, GK mistimes challenge and fairly blocks attacker for an obvious foul (Just outside PA), however as the ball is heading towards the goal, I wait once more to see if there is an advantage (goal in this case).The ball IS going to reach the goal but is moving quite slowly. Defender sort of ambles over to it, clearly expecting me to give the free kick. " Just stop it", I'm thinking as the player allowing the ball to drift over the line and me subsequently awarding the goal wouldn't have gone down too well.

Nothing else I could really do though, was there?

Not that it makes much difference but it was an OA Women's League match for those that like to know!

The Referee Store
Hopefully I can convey this situation with some accuracy.

Just played advantage for a foul, as ball as run through to attacker heading towards penalty area, GK mistimes challenge and fairly blocks attacker for an obvious foul (Just outside PA), however as the ball is heading towards the goal, I wait once more to see if there is an advantage (goal in this case).The ball IS going to reach the goal but is moving quite slowly. Defender sort of ambles over to it, clearly expecting me to give the free kick. " Just stop it", I'm thinking as the player allowing the ball to drift over the line and me subsequently awarding the goal wouldn't have gone down too well.

Nothing else I could really do though, was there?

Not that it makes much difference but it was an OA Women's League match for those that like to know!
Fairly blocks for an obvious foul. Is this a footballing oxymoron? ;)

You could have shouted play on advantage.. Defender stops the ball then shout no advantage and bring it vback to the foul then caution keeper or send off for dogso depending on what would have happened without the foul...

You could have shouted play on advantage.. Defender stops the ball then shout no advantage and bring it vback to the foul then caution keeper or send off for dogso depending on what would have happened without the foul...
Thanks James.

Main reason for my question/action was that I seem to remember a discussion on here, where it was stated that you should not actually shout/signal advantage until it has actually accrued?

Reasoning being that it can appear that the side are getting two bites at the cherry 1) The advantage we have signalled and then 2) Any free kick when we pull the game back

"Fairly obviously", I originally wrote, but the schoolboy in me wanted to avoid repetition, but the old man in me didn't get rid of "fairly" :p :rolleyes:

Thanks James.

Main reason for my question/action was that I seem to remember a discussion on here, where it was stated that you should not actually shout/signal advantage until it has actually accrued?

Reasoning being that it can appear that the side are getting two bites at the cherry 1) The advantage we have signalled and then 2) Any free kick when we pull the game back
Thats why I said you could have. And not should..

There are expectations at different levels, grassroots is signal and bring back and as you go higher up the expectation is to signal once the advantage accrues.

However, there are times when we need to do something different. In your case damned if do and damned if don't.

In that scenario I would say I wanted to see if there was a goal before giving the foul, as that would have kept your keeper on.

In an FA cup match this season I had very similar, where striker lobs an onrushing keeper who then wiped the attacker out.

I waited until I could see no goal and then blew.

No dogos as shot was away before the foul and the play was such he wouldn't have been able to regain control of the ball. In hindsight I should have called it straight away to get the injured players seen to, but had a goal been scored I'd have signalled advantage.

In your case, sounds a bit like the keeper asking to pick the ball up. By not communicating anything you're going to really annoy the team who concede by not indicating what your intentions are.

Thanks James.

Not DOGSO as attacker, like in your example didn't have control of the ball and a couple of covering defenders in any case.

Thanks again for the line of thinking.

Thinking at younger age groups I might well have communicated something, but as this was WNL reserves I, probably naively!, thought they should know what they were doing!

In the OP the expectations from both side (YHTBT) would probably be to give the free kick so no issue with giving it. However if I may change it a bit. If it was a clear dogso, would you still stop play or wait? I would wait to give the defenders a chance to let the ball go in and avoid sending off the player (assuming the foul is outside PA).

Back