A&H

Corner flags

micky2001

In the LOTG it says we can stat a game without nets but we need corner flags. Most games I have have no corner flags.

Anyone refused to ref because of this?

The Referee Store
From Law 1:
Flagposts A flagpost, not less than 1.5 m (5 ft) high, with a non-pointed top and a flag must be placed at each corner. Flagposts may also be placed at each end of the halfway line, not less than 1 m (1 yd) outside the touch line.

So the answer don't start until they find them. If they cannot find them , then play the game and report them to the league. The Home team will quickly realise that it is cheaper to buy their own than pay the fines...

Ive refereed plenty of games without corner flags or nets. On the corner flag front, ive happily played the games, just then reported it to the league afterwards.

/awaits flaming

I once started quite a high profile game, then realised there were no flags. Quietly sneaked across to the home bench and said "nice and discreet mate, go get your corner flags and put them out"

He did.

It was as much my mistake that one as I had failed to notice. Never done it since.

Didn't that happen in the World Cup?

EDIT: Yes, it did

Watch from 10 minutes

Last edited:
Common sense should prevail. Play the match and report the facts...not that I have had this yet!!

Damn, I still got some burns from the time I said that in France when a player doesn't have shin guards we had to let him play and just report it on the game sheet, and now I learn that you all regularly play games without corner flags :D

Reactions: SM
I did it on a game on which I was being assessed. It was only at half time that both the assessor and I spotted they were missing. Flags came out for the second half. Mark not affected.

As others state - it's not something that prevents the game being played, so start the game and report it.

Let the home team know before that if they don't turn up they'll be reported and may face action.

2 weeks ago I had neither corner flags, nor penalty spots and barely any touchlines. Both teams happy to play - sorted.

Penalty spots I don't even worry about - usually because that's a dirt spot, they'd be rubbed off within 5minutes and it doesn't have any impact anyway. Touch lines can be an issue though, even if they're present but barely visible.

For me it depends on the level of the game. Incidentally would you prefer this or no flag at all?

B3sV-NdCIAEhDPT.jpg:large

Back