A&H

Corner flags and drop kicks from keeper.

MKAhmad

Level 6 Referee
A couple of queries on the LOTG.

Firstly is it mandatory to have flags on the corner flag poles. I do a lot of youth games without flags.

Also what is the ruling on attackers jumping in front of keepers attempting a drop kick from thier hand. Yellow and IDFK?

The Referee Store
1) Yes, they’re mandatory, but at lower levels, use common sense - it’s more important to get the games played.

2) IDFK, unless they’re stopping a promising attack, in which case it’s also a caution

A couple of queries on the LOTG.

Firstly is it mandatory to have flags on the corner flag poles. I do a lot of youth games without flags.

Also what is the ruling on attackers jumping in front of keepers attempting a drop kick from thier hand. Yellow and IDFK?

1> be thankful you even have corner flag poles !! Play on.
2 > 9 times out of 10, IDFK, caution would be as above , promising attack or if he did it again, you could go for persistent. if someone did it once and you gave a strong public warning, then nobody can complain if you caution the 2nd time , it would be expected that a card would follow

Although;
2 > Is not strictly true. It's seems to be a 'football expects' thing
Recall the World Cup incident in which the keeper threw the ball towards a teammate and an opponent intercepted at fairly close range? Even that was met with an IDFK

Am taking a card 100% if the same player does the same thing again, and 95% if one of his team mates does
If the other team did it after the 1st warning to the other team, then, I am kind of obligated to give the same warning, but after that, all bets are off !!

A potential punt downfield from the goalkeeper is rarely a promising attack.

If I was a keeper, i'd rather have the option of the drop kick than an IDFK, though ! Strikers often do this to slow don't an attack, or disrupt the slow of a game. Another example of where the attacking team is penalised by a bit of "professionalism" by the defending team.

What about general USB YC for trying to stop the GK releasing the ball?
Why? If it's particularly dangerous (eg kicking it), then that's clearly a caution. But just jumping up to block? A keeper release is a 50-50 ball in the middle of the park, usually. Or unless you start seeing repeats and it starts to look like a tactic rather than a moment of stupidity. i think @Ciley Myrus has a fair summary.
Because it's a blatant offence you'd probably want to give a clear verbal warning on the first one. If it's an unsuccessful attempt, a loud 'leave the keeper alone!' might be sufficient, or you may want a verbal warning at the next stoppage, depends on your feel for the match and how antagonistic it was.
No need for a caution unless you can see the keeper is trying to launch a quick counterattack and get the opposition on the back foot IMO.
USB would be the YC offence.

@Ciley Myrus, care to give a % on this? :)

I agree, its rare, its just a lottery kick from hand, no diff to left back belting it up the field
UNLESS
its a exceptional breakaway situation on the cards, say the opponents up for set piece leaving a 2v2 or even a 2v1 at the half way line.

95% not promising attack but yes it could happen :)

Back in the 80s we had Deane and Agana, We didn't need a midfield..... Every flykick was an attacking opportunity!!!

What about general USB YC for trying to stop the GK releasing the ball?
This is another one of these examples of where there used to be a more detailed exploration of the issues contained in the Laws and which was later removed either because it was considered self-evident and already well-enough known, and/or as part of the effort to make the Laws shorter overall.

Here's what it used to say, up till 2016:
• It is an offence for a player to prevent a goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands
• A player must be penalised for playing in a dangerous manner if he kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing it

This, along with the section lower down the page that said:
If a player plays in a dangerous manner in a “normal” challenge, the referee should not take any disciplinary action. If the action is made with obvious risk of injury, the referee should caution the player
gave a much fuller and better insight into this issue, IMHO.

(PIADM involves no contact and was then, as it is now, is an indirect free kick offence).

A potential punt downfield from the goalkeeper is rarely a promising attack.
You've not been watching Ederson this season.

(He was impeded by an opponent on Saturday and ended up pushing the opponent with the ball. Stuart Attwell gave the FK to Ederson, and managed it well - his second game this season at the Etihad with no cards shown.)

Back