A&H

Coaching while acting as an AR

Chris Crowe

I had an incident today with an AR who was coaching form the side, The game was an Under 11 game, the situation arose when his keeper was about to step outside the box with the ball in his hand he proceed to shout at him to stop where he was as he was trying to prevent his keeper giving a free kick away.

I stop the game and told the AR that I appreciated why he had done it however as an AR I would prefer if he could concentrate on doing his AR duties.

Unfortunately this is common practice in Junior football so you have to make the best of it, would love to here others view's

The Referee Store
Well the manager that ran the line I did not mind him coaching because he was the manager but anyone else running the line as club giving instructions then I would worn them

This happens all the time in my league.

Personally I just accept it, frustating I know but don't forget they are coaches first and CAR second. They won't forego their own responsibilities to take on CAR's instead, that is of course why they were there in the first place.

Provided it didn't stop then doing the CAR job altogether and wasn't excessive I think you'd have to let it go.

Provided it didn't stop then doing the CAR job altogether and wasn't excessive I think you'd have to let it go.

Bingo! Especially at youth level I find the CAR is a dad helping out. They are there to support their kid and expecting them to ignore that and give officiating 100% concentration is unfair in my opinion. As long as they don't cross the line and ignore what they are meant to be doing then I'll let it slide.

A few years back had to ask for a different CAR for a second half as he was essentially getting th back line to run with him and running the offside trap. He did apologise eventually, although was a bit annoyed at the time.

Luckily in hull and Sheffield, AR's only do ball in and out of play and they aren't normally very good at that so I just let them do what they want and if they happen to help me somewhat then I am greatful.

I was watching an U13 game last week and the extremely vocal CAR was coaching throughout. Towards the end of the match an attacking DFK was awarded close to the touchline and about 20 yards from the goal-line. The defence arranged a three man wall about 10 yards from where the ball was, the ref looked at the wall, was obviously happy with it and then ran over to the far side of the penalty area so that he had all the players between him and the CAR and could judge offside. At this point the CAR said to the players in the wall "the ref hasn't paced it out so you can stand where you want - move forward!" which they did until they were about five yards from the ball. The ref ran all the way back over, paced the 10 yards and then ran all the way back to his original position.

I was absolutely astonished; firstly that the CAR would so publicly encourage his team effectively to cheat (at least in spirit) and secondly that the ref said nothing to the CAR.

The even more mind-bending aspect was that the defending team were losing a close game and had wasted two minutes of their time...

Back