A&H

Coach runs onto pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeMaloney5

Level 7 Referee
So basically in this game which was U12 the ball had been touched past the defender and so the defender decides to very violently kick the attackers legs at which point both players go rushing to the defender and so a few blows of the whistle but then the coach of the defender runs on and pulls his player who kicked out away from me not allowing me to get his name at which i had asked him 4 times for and refused he just made it harder to deal with the situation anyway i got his name and issued a straight red he then had the cheek to say ohh no point in playing a man down just bloody stop the game now we dont want to play a man down i said no the full 20 mins left has to be played.

Anyways i just wondered if this coach is violating any rules by running onto the pitch and if yous have had anything similar?

(mad for a U12 game)

The Referee Store
Well yes, nobody should be coming onto the pitch without your permisson, save a potentially serious injury.
From your description it all seems a bit firey, and a bit confrontational, am guessing you knew what number you were sending off, so, you always have that to fall back on, if the perfect procedure of obtaining a name does not go to plan.
Bear in mind also you cant force anybody to play.
Purely from the picture of the scene which I have in my head, I think I would let the coach do as he is doing, limit confrontation and try not to let anybody else get involved in it, then calmy approach coach or even better his sidekick or other official, maybe even with the opposing coach nearby purely as a witness ( if at the time you feel thats a sensible thing to do) then explain the facts
"I am sending off blue 4 for violent conduct, mr coach i cannot have you running onto the pitch like that, i have no option but to report your actions, please remain calm for the remaining 20 mins, now I have 21 kids out there who would like to finish the game"

No one shoe fits all senarios

If the coach has come on to purely cool his players down and prevent escalation of the situation, I’m inclined to not report him at this point. I’d have a word saying that whilst I appreciate he was trying to calm things down, he cannot just run onto the pitch, and that any repetition would involve a misconduct report.

However, if, as your scenario has described it, he has come on to try and prevent his player being dismissed then I would be happy to not only dismiss his player, but the manager would be off to the car park as well.

There are times that I am silently thankful that a coach has come onto the field to intervene. The OP doesn't sound like one of them. Its a you have to be there but for me this intervention quite possibly merits an expulsion for him. I wouldn't get into any discussions with him unless I want to let him stay in the TA, in which case the only thing is to calmly warn him that he should not have been on the field he is on his last string before being removed.

If the coach has come on to purely cool his players down and prevent escalation of the situation, I’m inclined to not report him at this point. I’d have a word saying that whilst I appreciate he was trying to calm things down, he cannot just run onto the pitch, and that any repetition would involve a misconduct report.

However, if, as your scenario has described it, he has come on to try and prevent his player being dismissed then I would be happy to not only dismiss his player, but the manager would be off to the car park as well.
He actually didnt help calm it down he just made things worse and was slightly confrontational with me ive submitted a report to the Fa

Well yes, nobody should be coming onto the pitch without your permisson, save a potentially serious injury.
From your description it all seems a bit firey, and a bit confrontational, am guessing you knew what number you were sending off, so, you always have that to fall back on, if the perfect procedure of obtaining a name does not go to plan.
Bear in mind also you cant force anybody to play.
Purely from the picture of the scene which I have in my head, I think I would let the coach do as he is doing, limit confrontation and try not to let anybody else get involved in it, then calmy approach coach or even better his sidekick or other official, maybe even with the opposing coach nearby purely as a witness ( if at the time you feel thats a sensible thing to do) then explain the facts
"I am sending off blue 4 for violent conduct, mr coach i cannot have you running onto the pitch like that, i have no option but to report your actions, please remain calm for the remaining 20 mins, now I have 21 kids out there who would like to finish the game"

No one shoe fits all senarios
Thanks for the advice

The other tricky thing at that level is the one time you go to remove the coach, he happens to be the only disclosure checked official and so on, and it gets awkward at that point. Based on the post, I would be leaning towards not removing the coach, as much as his actions are unhelpful, they are not offensive, abusive or a threat to anyone or your match control, afterall, you are sending off his player regardless.

The other tricky thing at that level is the one time you go to remove the coach, he happens to be the only disclosure checked official and so on, and it gets awkward at that point. Based on the post, I would be leaning towards not removing the coach, as much as his actions are unhelpful, they are not offensive, abusive or a threat to anyone or your match control, afterall, you are sending off his player regardless.
He was the only teams coach so i decided against removing him

Only my opinion but based on the scene in my head, I think thats sensible

The actions of one man should not ruin everybody elses morning.

Rock and a hard place. If the coach is the only recognised official from the club because of safe guarding and if an injury occurs you can't remove, but if the behaviour warrants it you should remove and then abandon because of no coach, no one to administer first aid, and two teams of kids disappointed as they can not play football and angry parents who want their kids to play football.
Allow the game to continue but create an extraordinary report about the game? Would the FA accept this or would the FA say if he deserved to be sent off send him off and abandon, we can't do anything as you didn't send him off. Discuss.

get rid of both of them, different country so i dont know, but if as padfoot says no team should have only one coach. you have no choice to abandon the game then report the reason for the abandonment

Say you tell a manager to leave the immediate vicinity of the pitch and they refuse - abandon the game?

Where are you guys refereeing where having less than one coach is bad practice?

The London/Hertfordshire scene I've been on has a load of leagues between U8-U18 each with anything up to six divisions of 10-20 teams for each age group. This is real nitty gritty grassroots and most teams have one coach/manager and parents watching the game. Most teams show up with one coach and a couple of parents if that. There are exceptions but I wouldn't have started about 200 games if having only one coach is unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back