A&H

Club marks

ref craig

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I'm creating this post because as most you know that last week I had found out I had failed my promotion to 6 due to club marks. Now all I want to know especially for people that are going for promotion what is the best way to handle clubs concerning club marks but baring in mind i believe that clubs and especially most of them mark you down anyway even if you apply law correctly

The Referee Store
The best way to avoid the club marks issue, especially at 7-6, is to avoid having to rely on club marks at all!

I believe that you need 3 observations for that promotion, and club marks should only be a factor as a replacement for observation #3 if you only get 2 of those assessments in. So I'd be talking to your RDO, asking why you weren't given a 3rd observation and if there is any aspect of your admin, organisation or choice of leagues/matches that you can change to make you easier to get observers to.

I was given 3 observations 4 even but what I have apparently been told is observations if come out at standard expected then that's when they take club marks into account

^That.

But yeah, club marks is a stupid system. You so much as glance at a player and you can start to wave goodbye to club marks. Ridiculous as it means games aren't refereed properly because people are too busy trying to appease clubs. I've lost the will to care about it any more tbh

^That.

But yeah, club marks is a stupid system. You so much as glance at a player and you can start to wave goodbye to club marks. Ridiculous as it means games aren't refereed properly because people are too busy trying to appease clubs. I've lost the will to care about it any more tbh

I don't care about them never but I lost out on mine because they were too low

Sorry to hear about your promotion Craig.

On Club Marks, until or unless they change the system you're doing the right thing in considering what you can do to improve your chances

1) Deliver Above Standard from the Observers' point of view so it doesn't matter
2) Be positive, polite, courteous and keep a smile on your face.
3) Acknowledge any match confirmations in a prompt and friendly way
4) Demonstrate an interest in the teams, their officials and their season
5) Apply the LOTG in a rigorous but empathetic way
6) Spend time lining on higher standard leagues to observe first hand and lear n from the way that a variety of other referees interact with clubs

7) Keep your fingers crossed :)

Hope that helps

That's how I've been told to do i was just thinking on the club mark approach especially if I'm in the same situation next year thanks everyone for there replies and I'll try my best for the season

Just as an aside on club marks, one game I did this season I am sure that, when he handed me his team sheet (before the game), one away team manager had already filled in the marks. (65 if I remember correctly?)

I probably should have done something about this at the time (reported it to the league?) but I was still fairly new to the whole thing at the time. I do, though, wonder if this happens fairly often - manager wanting to get all the paper work completed as quickly as possible, all at once, so fills it in before kick off?

Club marks are supposed to be marked as a referee would be getting observed so you might give something against a team that is correct in law for example a penalty in the last few seconds of a match when both teams are level the team you have just given that dicesion against then marks you down for it

Was it just your club marks that let you down? Or wasn't it both club marks and observations?

Best bit of advice- be prepared to accept that you might have been wrong about a decision and apologise if you did. This works for players too.

Did you have any matches where one team (or both) was particularly angry at you wheree you werent being assessed?

Depending on the number of games you did over the course of the promotion season it could only take 1 or 2 bad club marks to knacker your average.

I'm absolutely astounded that Club Marks should get within 100 miles of assessing whether a referee is up to the job.

On any level of stupidity in football its got to be up near the top!! Do your job properly like the LOTG and get marked down, do your job how they want you to do it, get marked up!! Absolute Bonkers system!!!

Im no fan of the club marks system, but i dont see how else we can assess referees at grass roots.

3 assessments over the course of a season arent enough the measure someones suitability for promotion.

Wed need an army of observers to do with out club marks, i dont think 5 assessments is enough to do without them

Im no fan of the club marks system, but i dont see how else we can assess referees at grass roots.

3 assessments over the course of a season arent enough the measure someones suitability for promotion.

Wed need an army of observers to do with out club marks, i dont think 5 assessments is enough to do without them

£5,140,000,000.00 contract with Sky and BT.... If they weren't splashing bundles on Wembley and Burton they'd had hundreds of millions spare too. Every team could be forced to contribute a very small percentage instead of paying £100,000.00.+ a blooming week on prima donnas!! Its not difficult, its just priorities!!!

I'm absolutely astounded that Club Marks should get within 100 miles of assessing whether a referee is up to the job.

On any level of stupidity in football its got to be up near the top!! Do your job properly like the LOTG and get marked down, do your job how they want you to do it, get marked up!! Absolute Bonkers system!!!

Literally this. Or at least make clubs justify their marks (then at least the FA or whoever can see they've marked you down because they don't like you sending a player off and discount it) - obviously open to abuse but makes them put a bit more thought into it.

Back