A&H

Club Lino's

Dave Mac

So will be my first experience this weekend with club assistants. I was wondering what do you normally guys brief them on prior to the game, what calls do you get them to make. My plan is to ask them to give me ball in and out of play and who it should go to. But I wont want any free kicks from them, but I was also thinking of doing offside myself. Is this something that sounds reasonable, or will I sound like a mini hitler from the get go. Obviously I'll be friendly with them about it!

The Referee Store
Its totally down to you but heres what I say/do ..

* Shake both hands and thank them for doing the line
* Say your going to keep it simple , Offsides and thow ins only please , please leave all fouls to me.
* If someone gives you a gobfull and your not happy call me over and ill have a chat BUT i cannot act on what I didnt hear myself.

I always let my club linos do offsides not only because im not always 100% up with play but the fact i find it easier you can always overrule them if you feel they are flagging when they shouldn't

One of the best things that I was told to do, which i now do every single game with Club Assistants isn't about what i tell them, it is what i tell the captains.....

"you're lucky to have two volunteers to run the lines, they are from your clubs, but for the next 90, they are on my team, any untoward agression to them, is treated as the same as if it were to me"

Remember, get them to give a strong flag, not a gentle wave. reassure them that you will go with them unless 100% sure to overrule (at which point you will acknowledge and thank them)

I personally always get them in the middle for the captains talk as well, it gets them involved, and remember to wish them a good game and to thank afterwards!

Enjoy :D

thanks for the tips colin!

Having done a bit of digging (mainly due to nerves I wanted to find out as much as possible) it turns out the last couple of seasons the team I'm refereeing have won their leagues fair play award, so I'm hoping it wont be too difficult. I think the chap who runs the league has probably done his best to ease me into things as I know he is really keen to keep me on board due to my location I'm pretty much slap bang in the middle of where their games take place so could easily take on any match for him!

Basically:

Thanks for doing this
Flag when the ball is out, give a direction if you can
Let me know if your side wan't a sub
Leave all offsides and fouls to me
Thank you.

It varies a lot between people and counties, some people treat them more or less the same as Neutral AR's, but I tend to give them the bear minimum of responsibilities.

Also, different assessors like to see different things, so beware :)

I generally start by asking the nominated ARs how many laws are the for off-sides. Just to judge their knowledge.
If they answer, 'its all about active or inactive', I just ask for ball in our out.

If they can answer correctly I ask them for ins and outs, off sides, stand over the goal line for corners and penalties.

Ask for strong flags or at least 2 seconds.

I always acknowledge the ARs flag. And at half time I always talk to them explaining why I over ruled them.
At the end of the game I always thank them as I collect my flags.

Thanks for your help - but I don't hold a quiz or explain offside cos they don't listen. Ball in and out of play, - offsides if you want to indicate offside please make sure its the player recieving the ball, anyone else play will continue and I'll ask you to lower the flag, do you understand. Fouls are all mine unless its violent conduct behind my back and then I want to know the players involved and what they did. enjoy the game and see you later.

Back