A&H

Club Assistant 'incident'

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Under 14s match one of two for me yesterday.

Match one - good game, whites on top, score early and despite dominating for large parts of game and hitting the bar twice, reds are decent oppo and score remains 1-0 to whites until a couple of minutes from time when reds equalise. All routine stuff so far.

1 minute of added time left when reds break quickly, two v one, I look to see two red attackers beyond white defender, but obviously no idea if they were there when ball was kicked. Club assistant, who was very reluctant to do the job in the first place and whose flagging 'technique' & positioning left a lot to be desired, has half heartedly waved his flag. Despite him and me not being in a position to judge the offside, I took the decision to blow for offside on the (arguable) basis that its better to not allow an illegal goal than it is to call an incorrect offside. Few shouts from manager and coach but nothing too bad.

One of reds asks me 'How much are they paying you ref?' which earned him a yellow.

Thoughts on the 'offside'?

Please don't comment on the yellow, that subject (OFFINABUS) has been done to death on another thread.

Thanks all

The Referee Store
For the offside decision, I agree and that would be my reasoning too (up north we don't involve the CAR's in offside decisions). If this happens again, and seeing that you have noticed the somewhat mediocre performance of your CAR, I would be inclined to modify my positioning and maybe have a brief word with the CAR at half-time.

I know you asked not to discuss the YC, but please please please tell me you gave the little brat a royal b@***** and dress down? That's all what I would say on that topic.

I would have done same thing on the offside tbh if he was in a decent position on that decision

One of reds asks me 'How much are they paying you ref?' which earned him a yellow.

A player says what? :angel: (sorry had to!)

Hard one here if you don't know they were offside how could you give the decision? I was always told the same as you better a bad offside than a bad goal however, I always look at it from the viewpoint that's with a qualified AR who knows his stuff. Here you are basically on your own and not having seen any offensive have called it back. Now given the few shouts and not total ballistics from the manager it sounds like you got it right.

However, is it better to say I didn't see it therefore I couldn't call it, is this something to say before hand in your pre-match that you will make decisions based on what you see and not on what might have happened? For example player lying spark out behind you other player goes it was number 10 head butted him? You walking number 10? You didn't see the offensive therefore you can't call it correctly.

Even though you might have luckily got the decision right, I don't think you should have blown. Of course, there are times when we are alone or with CARs - with offside and ball in/out - when we use the reactions of players to help with decision making when we don't know... but... big but... I don't think we should guess.

When alone (no CARS here), I tell tell the coaches I will try my hardest at offside situations but I won't guess - I like the players to know that appealing and/or standing with a hand in the air is a waste of time.

My experience as a player (mostly CB) for over 15 years in games with no ARs is that it drove me nuts at both ends of the field when refs would stand in the centre circle and guess offsides. TBH I think this is the biggest sin you can make in grassroots football (not that I am suggesting you do that;))

I used to turn up at a "top" semi pro (bizarrely called Juniors") team in my country team, due to shortages, with no neutral ARs (for some reason league decided I was competent enough to be the one, or one of, refs who could operate without neutral ARs when numbers were low)
Upon arrival and checking park etc, 10 times out of 10, the home captain would see I was alone and without fail, came over to say hi and also "no linesman today? What if we lose an offside goal?" (he was a ex pro centre half)

My reply was always the same "its possible, but then again, what if you score one?"

I guess it depends on your take on your game, are you going to look at the positives, negatives, play safe no matter what or get yourself into the best positions possible to make what you believe to be the right call to the best of your ability.

You can only do your best and what you think is right

In answer to the OP, course nobody knows till it happens to them, but, I would rather allow a potentially legal goal, than chalk off a potentially legal goal.

Back