A&H

Clive Thomas approves

The Referee Store
Just had another thought! Does the game stop when the whistle is blown, or, has blown?
Because its still blowing as the ball is over the line!!!

Just had another thought! Does the game stop when the whistle is blown, or, has blown?
Because its still blowing as the ball is over the line!!!
The first part of the whistle blows before the kick is taken.

That's when play stopped/ended.

We've had this discussion before a season or two ago where the ref blew for half time as the shot was in flight.

It's correct in law, the referee is the the person incharge of timing the match, and when they say time is up then it is up.

And there is validity to the argument of waiting a few seconds to see the outcome of the shot etc.

But, while we would never know what time the the referees watch said would it have been fair to the blue team if the referee had allowed the game to go on longer than had been intended to allow yellows the chance to score, and thus denying the blue team all 3 points?

On the balance of probability it would be easier to delay the whistle slightly, and you get less grief from the blue team after they conceded a last minute equaliser than you would for blowing just before/when a shot is taken that subsequently goes in

But, while we would never know what time the the referees watch said would it have been fair to the blue team if the referee had allowed the game to go on longer than had been intended to allow yellows the chance to score, and thus denying the blue team all 3 points?
Yes, you can't blow early but after the 90 mins - it's completely down to your discretion. You could EASILY find 30 seconds from somewhere if something like this occurs. Referee is the sole timekeeper and additional time is always reported as minimum, aka ref can do what they want, within reason.

Not really that relevant but minor interest, at almost the same time, the mens senior team scored a winner v Hearts.
Also again, just an add on for knowledge, Motherwell have dropped the "ladies" from their name and are now simply bracketed with the mens, as Motherwell FC.

Yes, you can't blow early but after the 90 mins - it's completely down to your discretion. You could EASILY find 30 seconds from somewhere if something like this occurs. Referee is the sole timekeeper and additional time is always reported as minimum, aka ref can do what they want, within reason.

I know we can allow play to continue, but what I'm asking is whether we should allow play to continue.

The yellow team feel hard done by as they have been denied a point at the last second.

However, if the referee had allowed play to continue another 10 seconds she would have been denying the blue team the full three points.

In terms of match control allowing the attack to play out would be best. It's unlikely there'd be many complaints about a last minute equaliser, unless there had been a lot of added time, which might lead to complaints from the blue team that you'd just kept the game going so that the opposition could equalise.

I would probably allow the attack to play out, or rather, I would try to avoid blowing the whistle when a player is about to take a shot.

As the sole time keeper, yes you can blow just as she hits it, but equally, you can wait till that part of play is dead!!

either way is correct but, one is 100 times more sensible than the other !!

or to think about it another way, one way results in, nothing
the other results in your exasperated fizzer being beamed round the globe.........

I'm sure I do what most of us do, which is to recognise that the added time is about to expire, then make a decision that I will blow once the current phase of play is over. Let's face it, we don't normally stop the watch when the keeper's gone to get the ball from behind the goal, or when there's a few 'extra' seconds delay around setting up a FK, etc., so there're always good reasons to add an extra 30 seconds or so and see how things play out.

The delay of the whistle allowing the goal happened at the Doncaster v Palace yesterday. I'm not sure where the 1 min injury time came from in the first place but if the ball was in the centre circle come 45+1 mins exactly, the whistle would have been blown. Instead it was near the Donny penalty area and on 45 +1mins +6 seconds, Max Meyer scores a goal to make it 2-0 to Palace.

That whistle unfortunately appears vindictive in the context of the wider game.

Mrs Myrus nee McTavish also havin a blinder in the yellow goal;)

Last edited:
Vinductive... I just got back from the DIY store but didn’t realise it’s infectious!

(You were the 4th shouting ”blow”)

Back