A&H

Chewing Gum Whilst Refereeing.

Kes

I'll Decide ...
Seen a few referees doing it over the years at Grass Roots level.

What's your take on it?

Do you do it?

Do you think it should be permitted? I know we often see GKs chewing gum during top flight games but can't say I've ever seen a referee chewing at that level.

What d'yall reckon fellow professionals? :) :cool:

The Referee Store
Seen a few referees doing it over the years at Grass Roots level.

What's your take on it?

Do you do it?

Do you think it should be permitted? I know we often see GKs chewing gum during top flight games but can't say I've ever seen a referee chewing at that level.

What d'yall reckon fellow professionals? :):cool:
I chew, helps prevent dry mouth for me. I've seen some premier league officials chewing too. Why wouldn't it be permitted?

Why wouldn't it be permitted?

Health and safety I'd guess? (Your own).

I'm neither for nor against it. Just thought I'd ask the question and see what the general consensus of opinion on here was. :):)

Reactions: JH
Health and safety I'd guess? (Your own).

I'm neither for nor against it. Just thought I'd ask the question and see what the general consensus of opinion on here was. :):)
Health and safety? Why?

know we often see GKs chewing gum during top flight games but can't say I've ever seen a referee chewing at that level.
One of the MLS FIFA referees used to chew gum during matches -- I last recall seeing him doing so a couple of years ago. I think that there's a few others at higher levels that do similar.

SAF was always known for his chewing of gum and his spitting of venom too at the 4th. He always seemed to have time on his hands though!

Health and safety? Why?

Only playing "Devil's Advocate" here but I'd have thought it fairly obvious.

A 60 yard lung-busting sprint followed by sucking in huge gulps of air (as I do now at my age :D ) could easily result in said gum becoming lodged in your throat/windpipe?
In much the same way you wouldn't encourage young kids to do sports whilst chewing for the same reasons I'd guess. :)

I don't see it often, but do remember one particular ref I lined for who went out there with 2 or 3 pieces of gum in his mouth, and a pocketfull of around 10-15 more pieces. Some of which were left as a trail around the field after his first sprint, and some more of which came out along with the first use of his yellow card that he kept in the same pocket.

Chewing gum while reffing is on the professional/unprofessional borderline for me - having it cascade out of your pocket throughout the half is definitely over it!

Back