A&H

Chelsea v Man Utd

es1

RefChat Addict
Attwell goes to the monitor to look at a potential pen for utd for handball. I called it in real time, looked nailed on. I've no clue why he hasn't given it, hudson odois arm is up and out, definitely an unnatural position.

This is where we as fans would benefit massively from hearing the ref/var discussions.

The Referee Store
I initially thought it hit the utd player on the arm first.

seeing the VAR replay, im not sure why it wasn’t given

Cant see how that’s not been given. Would love if somebody had some insight into why it wasn’t.

I think no pen was the correct decision personally. I don’t think he’s made his body unnaturally bigger

If that isn’t an unnatural position I don’t know what is. Could argue he moves his arm towards the ball too. Clear pen. After Tierney not calling the Ndidi handball in real time earlier (and I say this as a Leicester fan), I can only assume the refs are becoming scared to call handballs after the media furore earlier on the season?

If that isn’t an unnatural position I don’t know what is. Could argue he moves his arm towards the ball too. Clear pen. After Tierney not calling the Ndidi handball in real time earlier (and I say this as a Leicester fan), I can only assume the refs are becoming scared to call handballs after the media furore earlier on the season?
Two players jostling for the ball are naturally going to move their arms in the direction of each other. Greenwood’s arm movement is identical to his as well.

Two players jostling for the ball are naturally going to move their arms in the direction of each other. Greenwood’s arm movement is identical to his as well.
And I'd like to think Greenwood would have been penalised had he handled it first

I understand where you’re coming from but Hudson-Odoi basically punched the ball. I also wouldn’t have my arms outstretched in front of me if I were running (unnatural). You could even argue it’s verging on above shoulder level at which point natural/unnatural is superseded. If Greenwood committed the same offence, I’m sure a defensive free-kick would have been given no question.

Angles are bad, but maybe Greenwood's arm touches CHO's to cause contact?

Could easily see it that way if you wanted to?

I don't think so.

Greenwood going for it possibly causes CHO to raise his arm and the ball to hit it, but I don't think it's enough to not give it

I understand where you’re coming from but Hudson-Odoi basically punched the ball. I also wouldn’t have my arms outstretched in front of me if I were running (unnatural). You could even argue it’s verging on above shoulder level at which point natural/unnatural is superseded. If Greenwood committed the same offence, I’m sure a defensive free-kick would have been given no question.
Maybe it's similar to the 'supposed' higher threshold for fouls in the penalty area?

Fair point about the ‘above shoulder’ criteria actually.

How does Fernandes get away with disgusting dissent EVERY match?! The referees are too scared to book him.

It is so frustrating

How does Fernandes get away with disgusting dissent EVERY match?! The referees are too scared to book him.

It is so frustrating

Because most teams have a player/coach that berates the ref for 90 mins.
Clamp down on Fernandes you can clamp down on everyone else in.the league (which would be fine with me)

We managed a season and a half of VAR with the referees almost never not taking the advice of VAR, and now 2 weeks in a row, a referee has gone to the monitor, given it a cursory look and then stuck to their initial decision. Coincidence or timing or has something changed?

I just don't think there is any need for VAR to get involved there, and if they hadn't no one would have even been discussing this. At the time there wasn't a single appeal from United players, the appeals were from Chelsea players who though Greenwood had handled it.

For me this is the level of forensic involvement that isn't good for VAR and I am pleased that Attwell had the courage to stand by his decision.

Back