A&H

Che vs Ajax

Status
Not open for further replies.

deusex

RefChat Addict

Although all criticism of all refs is forbidden according to some on here, here goes...
That handball call is bad enough, to caution for it is just an awful, awful shout.
ALL handballs are cautions now apparently!!

The Referee Store
The current handball interpretation is just silly, I get the obvious punch the ball in ones but there were 1 a season, we’ve gone from that to destroying 150 years of the beautiful game to looking for the slightest fingernail to chalk off. Pathetic, I agree with @duesex

Second caution for Blind is spot on.

Looks like a straight red for the handball so can only assume it was for DOGSO. Whilst his arm does come out slightly I wouldn't be giving handball there, but once given it does look like the shot is flying into the top corner so I can understand the sanction.

Second caution for Blind is spot on.

Looks like a straight red for the handball so can only assume it was for DOGSO. Whilst his arm does come out slightly I wouldn't be giving handball there, but once given it does look like the shot is flying into the top corner so I can understand the sanction.
It was a second yellow for the handball. He'd been booked earlier.

A punishable handball for a shot on goal is a yellow card. It’s always a yellow card in UEFA. It’s supposed to always be a yellow card everywhere.

This was a shot on goal.

Now, whether or not it was handball? That's another question.

There's also the question as to whether Pusilic tripped Blind as he fell, and whether that was to the level of a foul (based on having watched a good chunk of the game to that point, that was WELL within the ref's range of fouls.

Tricky handling there. If it had hit the hand directly I think penalty is the right decision - in my view the defender had time to get the had away. However, the replay from behind would suggest that it deflected slightly off the thigh first and so finding an offence might be a bit harsh.
Once the offence is found though it is hard to argue against yellow

How many of you give advantage for second yellow cards by the way? Disregarding the penalty call, which I don't think is even close to one, I'd have blown the whistle, sent Blind off and merrily have continued the rest of the game. If Veltman's handball doesn't constitute natural silhouette, I'm not sure what does.
That being said, Chelsea got away with one and the game was extremely interesting to watch.

Last edited:
How many of you give advantage for second yellow cards by the he way? Disregarding the penalty call, which I don't think is even close to one, I'd have blown the whistle, sent Blind off and merrily have continued the rest of the game. If Veltman's handball doesn't constitute natural silhouette, I'm not sure what does.
That being said, Chelsea got away with one and the game was extremely interesting to watch.
Nope. Don't play advantage on a red card unless the opponent is putting the ball in the goal before you can blow the whistle.

It was a really interesting watch. The advantage to red is technically correct and good refereeing in this situation (perhaps lucky there was the pen so there wasn’t much time before the foul and the next stoppage), but I don’t like the idea of a player who is going to get a red when it goes out, having an impact on play - it doesn’t make sense

What I don't get is why the trip/tackle on Blind wasn't given.
Blind was clearly fouled.
None of the rest should have even happened.
Poor refereeing tbh

It was a really interesting watch. The advantage to red is technically correct and good refereeing in this situation (perhaps lucky there was the pen so there wasn’t much time before the foul and the next stoppage), but I don’t like the idea of a player who is going to get a red when it goes out, having an impact on play - it doesn’t make sense
They can't impact play again. Ifyou play advantage on a red card if they touch or challenge for the ball again you should stop play an award an IDFK to oppo and issue sanction.

Screenshot_20191106_114009_com.google.android.apps.pdfviewer.png

Not sure the scenario was a clear opportunity to score a goal so I am not entirely sure that advantage was correct in this scenario.

It should never have got to this stage as its 100% a foul on Blind originally.

Once thats missed its then a definite second yellow card for Blind for the foul.

The penalty is a tough one, he looks like hes trying to get his arm out the way but the flip side is its travelled a fair distance, im ok with either decision here.

It should never have got to this stage as its 100% a foul on Blind originally.

Once thats missed its then a definite second yellow card for Blind for the foul.

The penalty is a tough one, he looks like hes trying to get his arm out the way but the flip side is its travelled a fair distance, im ok with either decision here.

Exactly what I said... Blind was fouled.

Ref clanger completely changed the game.

I'd also like to see Chelsea's second goal with the offside call. TV cameras make him look fairly like he is offside. I wonder what the special lines showed? Strange how they didn't show the VAR decision on TV....

Low-risk refereeing should have been applied here. You've seen a foul by Blind, you've judged it to be a yellow card and you know he's already on one so needs to be sent off. Just stop play. You're sending a player off and giving Chelsea a FK in a dangerous position, they wouldn't have argued.

As it is, you've allowed a missed foul on Blind to effectively result in him and a teammate being sent off, exacerbating that error massively. Not smart refereeing IMO.

I'd also like to see Chelsea's second goal with the offside call. TV cameras make him look fairly like he is offside. I wonder what the special lines showed? Strange how they didn't show the VAR decision on TV....
Text comms that I was following suggested that they didn't have a good angle along the offside line, so decided to simply go with the onfield decision (not offside) rather than faff around for ages and then still not come up with a conclusive answer.

A punishable handball for a shot on goal is a yellow card. It’s always a yellow card in UEFA. It’s supposed to always be a yellow card everywhere.

This was a shot on goal.

Now, whether or not it was handball? That's another question.

There's also the question as to whether Pusilic tripped Blind as he fell, and whether that was to the level of a foul (based on having watched a good chunk of the game to that point, that was WELL within the ref's range of fouls.

Can I have a page number or quote from the LoTG please because I'm not aware of any such stipulation

Can I have a page number or quote from the LoTG please because I'm not aware of any such stipulation
Page 109, under cautions for unsporting behaviour:
• handles the ball to interfere with or stop a promising attack

It can easily be argued this handball stopped a promising attack, once you've decided a handball offence has taken place.

Reactions: JH
Handball is correct for me. From the view behind the player, he manages to twist his entire body out of the way to lift his left leg towards the ball bar his arm. There was no effort to move that out of the way.

Tricky handling there. If it had hit the hand directly I think penalty is the right decision - in my view the defender had time to get the had away. However, the replay from behind would suggest that it deflected slightly off the thigh first and so finding an offence might be a bit harsh.
Once the offence is found though it is hard to argue against yellow
So not moving your hand makes it handball? Sorry that's just utter tosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back