A&H

Celebrating a Goal

Alex Clark

Level 6 Referee
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23093784

Have a look at the match highlights for last night's CONFEDS final.

If you didn't see it live, look at the match report bellow. You'll notice that neither Fred nor Neymar were cautioned for climbing over the advertising boards to celebrate with fans.

Any ideas why? FIFA directive for the tournament? or lazy refereeing?

The Referee Store
Hi
The Laws state that a player should be cautioned if he
""
climbs on to a perimeter fence to celebrate a goal being scored""
Now jumping over an advertising board is not climbing on to a perimeter fence. Nor should it be confused with the Premier League advice to players of not 'going into the crowd' for safety reasons.

Hi Goldfish

I get what you are saying however, the player can still be cautioned for USB eg excessive celebration.

I have taken this quote from the LOTG "Leaving the field of play to celebrate a goal is not a cautionable offence in itself but it is essential that players return to the field of play as soon as possible.
Referees are expected to act in a preventative manner and to exercise common sense in dealing with the celebration of a goal."

So dave on that note you could argue the player(s) could have been YC for USB or you could argue the referee for being sensible

I watched it almost live and yeah - I was expecting Fred to be cautioned after celebrating the first goal. Surprised when he wasn't.

Dave I have not seen the particular incident(s) but I feel that if it was just one player then i would suspect them to be cautioned. If on the other hand there were 5/6 players invloved it would be more common sense for the referee to get the players back in the correct position for the restart of play.

It was half the team, plus substitutes and resulted in a significant delay to the restart.

Watching it at the time I felt there was a significant safety risk and not only to players but fans as well.

Hi
FIFA games are probably the most watched, analysed, instructed and very little gets left to chance. Teams get briefings, refs gets briefings and I would be pretty certain that Björn Kuipers as other refs would have had clear instructions what to do on goals. It is also a tournament setting so refs have daily reviews, meetings etc so this would have been discussed I have been watching the U20 WC and refs plus assistants are rarely involved in curbing or bringing to an end excessive celebrations either. So I suspect that FIFA is quite happy with the OTT celebrations. If not refs would be on this like a rash like USB caution for jersey over the head, mask etc as per the LotG
PL, MLS, La Liga, have competition rules for crowd control purposes. In fact in the PL stewards can be seen pulling / moving players away.

Back