A&H

Caution code: player returns to FOP without having removed jewellery as requested

Trip

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Let's overlook for the moment that my assistant checking players' equipment pre-match managed to miss three rings, four earrings and a nose stud.

Less than a minute into the game I asked the player to go off and remove her jewellery. She said I can't remove the nose stud. I said you can't play with it in. Off she went.

A few minutes later she re-entered the FOP minus all the jewellery except the nose ring. I cautioned her and told her to remove it. "I told you I can't take it out!" She sat out the rest of the game.

What's the caution code? I'm guessing it's either C1 (USB) and UB or C3 (repeated infringement)?

The Referee Store
On the other hand, if she was sent off to remove the jewelry, she should have been inspected before she was permitted back on and not allowed on if she had not complied. There would be no reason to caution.

On the other hand, if she was sent off to remove the jewelry, she should have been inspected before she was permitted back on and not allowed on if she had not complied. There would be no reason to caution.
Bang on the money. Player leaving to correct equipment should only be allowed back on, either at a stoppage or once another match official has checked. Given your ARs flaky performance on this matter I'd have been inclined to wait and do the inspection myself.

So technically you could caution for entering the field without permission. Not enough context to say whether she was waved back on.

I did the middle for a men's FA cup game and my very junior AR on the far side called me over a coue of minutes after a sub had come on to tell me he had a nose stud in.

I hadn't been close enough to him to see and my senior AR had clearly not noticed it when doing the substitution procedure.

This is from the FAQ under Law 4.​

A player is wearing or using unauthorised or dangerous equipment or jewellery. What is the referee’s decision?​

The referee must order the player to remove the item. A player who is unable or refuses to comply or wears the item again must leave the field of play at the next stoppage and will be cautioned (yellow card, YC).

This is from the FAQ under Law 4.​

A player is wearing or using unauthorised or dangerous equipment or jewellery. What is the referee’s decision?​

The referee must order the player to remove the item. A player who is unable or refuses to comply or wears the item again must leave the field of play at the next stoppage and will be cautioned (yellow card, YC).
Nik e is questioning the card for it happening. But as described, it should not have happened because when a player is sent to fix equipment/jewelers, the R or AR should be inspecting before they come on. So yes, the caution was needed, but only because there was a failure by the R team to handle properly. (This is not at all a dig at the team from the OP—the point of these discussions is to learn. What we should take away from this is to not create the need to give this caution by following our own procedures properly. The only time we should have to caution for this is if the player puts the jewelry or improper equipment back on after they have shown it was corrected.)

Had a game today where a player when asked to remove a ring said, ‘I can’t, it’s stuck. Have you got a grinder?’. I told him he can’t play so he ran back to the changing rooms and 2 minutes later emerged ringless. Thank god the FA have started supplying grassroots sides with metal grinders :rolleyes:

side note, did you chat with the AR later?
constructively?

Hah. Funny you should ask.

This AR2 was a last minute replacement, he's a mate of AR1. AR1 is a former level 3, now getting on a bit, but a terrific AR.

Home team on a break, I'm almost sure there's an offside, check AR2 - no flag - play on. They score. I look again at AR2, now he's got his flag up. OK, I think, better late than never.

I blow, raise arm, indicate offside. Home team are up in arms, too bad.

A few minutes later home team score again. No question of offside this time, goal awarded. I happen to notice AR2 with his flag up again. Oh oh. I wander over and say surely there's no offside? No, says AR1, it's a goal. That's why I've got my flag up.

So by the time half-time arrives the incident with the jewellery is a long way down my priority list. It turns out that when AR2 was taught flag signals in the country where he was taught flag signals, they were instructed to raise the flag towards the centre spot when a goal is scored. His English is nowhere near good enough to explain this but AR1 translates from arabic. I open my mouth and AR1 indicates that yes he knows, and he's already explained, and he's very, very sorry for ever suggesting AR2 take the game.

Hah. Funny you should ask.

This AR2 was a last minute replacement, he's a mate of AR1. AR1 is a former level 3, now getting on a bit, but a terrific AR.

Home team on a break, I'm almost sure there's an offside, check AR2 - no flag - play on. They score. I look again at AR2, now he's got his flag up. OK, I think, better late than never.

I blow, raise arm, indicate offside. Home team are up in arms, too bad.

A few minutes later home team score again. No question of offside this time, goal awarded. I happen to notice AR2 with his flag up again. Oh oh. I wander over and say surely there's no offside? No, says AR1, it's a goal. That's why I've got my flag up.

So by the time half-time arrives the incident with the jewellery is a long way down my priority list. It turns out that when AR2 was taught flag signals in the country where he was taught flag signals, they were instructed to raise the flag towards the centre spot when a goal is scored. His English is nowhere near good enough to explain this but AR1 translates from arabic. I open my mouth and AR1 indicates that yes he knows, and he's already explained, and he's very, very sorry for ever suggesting AR2 take the game.
What was the end score?

Years ago, had an outraged u11 dad giving my grief for telling his son he couldn't play with an ear stud in and the dad told me it couldn't be removed.

As tactfully as possible told the pair of them it was in his and everyone's interest for the stud to come out as no one wants to see bits of his ear redecorating the pitch when he gets hit by the ball or an elbow.

Surprise surprise, within 30 seconds the unremovable stud was gone!

Having never needed to know the correct code in the previous 10 years of refereeing I've now used it twice in a month.

Men's game. Home team captain is wearing a lot of jewellery before the match. I check again just before KO and he's removed it all except a nose stud. It can't be removed he says. You can't play then I says. Well it's very new and if I remove it I'll have to wear a plaster to stop it bleeding. Fine by me.

So he subs himself off and returns 10 minutes into the game sporting the plaster on his nose. A few minutes later it falls off and there's the nose ring. "Oh, is it still in?" he says. He really did say that.

So that's a caution and he subs himself off again, and describes the decision to caution him has "fcking ridiculous", so that's a second caution and now he doesn't have to bother taking out the stud because he is done for the day.

Having never needed to know the correct code in the previous 10 years of refereeing I've now used it twice in a month.

Men's game. Home team captain is wearing a lot of jewellery before the match. I check again just before KO and he's removed it all except a nose stud. It can't be removed he says. You can't play then I says. Well it's very new and if I remove it I'll have to wear a plaster to stop it bleeding. Fine by me.

So he subs himself off and returns 10 minutes into the game sporting the plaster on his nose. A few minutes later it falls off and there's the nose ring. "Oh, is it still in?" he says. He really did say that.

So that's a caution and he subs himself off again, and describes the decision to caution him has "fcking ridiculous", so that's a second caution and now he doesn't have to bother taking out the stud because he is done for the day.
Second caution for... ? Dissent?
Is this in England?

Edit: ignore me, he had subbed himself off. Well done 👌

I don't think him being a sub should be much different. I am with you all the way for the first caution. But way below my threshold for dissent for the second. Was he really protesting your decision or frustrated and trying to save face in front of his players not in a over the top manner (just like he did on the comment for the first). Of course context is important and it could change things. But with the context you have provided and the picture painted in my mind, I wouldn't have cautioned for the second.

I don't think him being a sub should be much different. I am with you all the way for the first caution. But way below my threshold for dissent for the second. Was he really protesting your decision or frustrated and trying to save face in front of his players not in a over the top manner (just like he did on the comment for the first). Of course context is important and it could change things. But with the context you have provided and the picture painted in my mind, I wouldn't have cautioned for the second.

I think James was wondering why he wasn't sin-binned rather than given a second caution and S7.

Calling a refereeing decision "f*cking ridiculous" is the absolute definition of dissent, in my opinion, especially from a captain.

I think James was wondering why he wasn't sin-binned rather than given a second caution and S7.

Calling a refereeing decision "f*cking ridiculous" is the absolute definition of dissent, in my opinion, especially from a captain.
A substitute/substituted player is cautioned for dissent but not sin binned. Only a player can be sin binned.
?

Back