A&H

Caution a player from either side

S.A.L

Hi guys,
Just after a little clarification of something that happened in my game today. An attack was developing around the half way line when I noticed out of the corner of my eye that 2 players (from opposite sides) were pushing each other for some reason. I stopped play and spoke to them both and issued a caution to the two players as I didn't think it warranted a red card from what I'd seen. then I restarted the game with a dropped ball from where the game was stopped was this the correct way to restart? I had a complete mind blank at the time and still can't think if that was right or not.

The Referee Store
Sounds good to me, had a similar thing the other week. I got both captains in and asked them to sort their team mates out before I did. Not a peep from any of them thereafter, I seriously considered cards but thought a public dressing down was sufficient but can fully accept that cards could have also been used for AA.

If you stopped play to caution for AA then the restart should be a direct free kick.

If the instance you describe I'm not sure how you'd decide which team gets the free kick.

If you stopped play to caution for AA then the restart should be a direct free kick.

If the instance you describe I'm not sure how you'd decide which team gets the free kick.

Agreed, so dropped ball restart seems logical......if not technically correct.

When there are simultaneous offences of equal severity (eg both cautionable) by opponents, the restart is a DB.
Sounds like when he turned around they were both into it, so probably simultaneous.

When there are simultaneous offences of equal severity (eg both cautionable) by opponents, the restart is a DB.
Sounds like when he turned around they were both into it, so probably simultaneous.
That's changed this season. You can no longer award a dropped ball for a challenge by two people. You have to pick the more severe of the challenges.

However, in this situation both players are at fault and play was continuing. You've stopped play to issue a caution(s) for an off the ball offence so a dropped ball sounds like the appropriate/logical restart. Unless I saw exactly what was going on, I can't determine the more serious offence. You'd be able to sell a dropped ball much better than awarding a free kick.

Sometimes there are fouls by two players which are the the same severity and simaltaneousley and the DB is the only way to restart. But if one is worse than the other DFK.

Sounds good to me, had a similar thing the other week. I got both captains in and asked them to sort their team mates out before I did. Not a peep from any of them thereafter, I seriously considered cards but thought a public dressing down was sufficient but can fully accept that cards could have also been used for AA.

Sorry - can you stop play for a chat with captains? Don't you have to issue cards and/or a DFK or IDFK in your "similar thing"?

As for the original questions - think most agree the DB is at least the sensible thing to do (will never be able to sell a free kick to one side) and may even be right in law.

That's changed this season. You can no longer award a dropped ball for a challenge by two people. You have to pick the more severe of the challenges.
That is indeed what the law says but I can't help feeling that it's a bit of an oversight. What if the offences are still identical after you have considered all the criteria given in the law? What do you do then - toss a coin? If the offences are truly identical in all respects, a dropped ball seems like the only logical choice.

I had this in an assessed game - handbags off the ball, stopped play, 2 yellows, drop ball... but, should have given a direct free kick as the restart. A drop ball seems like the logical choice but the laws say DFK AFAIK. The way to "sell" this: "look guys, I didn't see who started it, you are both getting cards, what I saw from you was slightly worse..." or something of that ilk...

Back