A&H

CAR's

Ben448844

RefChat Addict
I have my first game in my new County on Saturday and i am being observed. A top of the table clash no less which should be fun.

I've never used CARs as we didn't use them in South Yorkshire. From an observation perspective, if/when the substitute holding the flag goes on to the FOP, am I expected to speak to the new CAR as I would before the game begins? I assume not but I'm not 100% on this.

The Referee Store
I have my first game in my new County on Saturday and i am being observed. A top of the table clash no less which should be fun.

I've never used CARs as we didn't use them in South Yorkshire. From an observation perspective, if/when the substitute holding the flag goes on to the FOP, am I expected to speak to the new CAR as I would before the game begins? I assume not but I'm not 100% on this.
It is good practice to brief the replacement AR before he starts his stint. Sometimes the club know who is going to take over during the match so you can brief them all before k.o.
If not, take a half minute to brief the new AR when he takes over (keep the rest of the players in view when doing so!)
Hope it goes well.

Yep. Keep it simple. I always found making the following 3 points in my CAR briefing worked well, both at the toss or when one got replaced:

1) Ball in and out of play, whole of ball across whole of line please
2) fouls and misconduct are mine, please don't flag for them even if you think I've missed it as I can't give it on your say so
3) Offside, beyond the second last defender at the time the ball is played and I only want a flag when the Offside player is actually challenging for the ball please, I'm not going to be interested in a flag for Offside until the player actually challenges.

Few things you need to do with CARs for Observations;
1) Be seen to brief both CAR's TOGETHER before KO
2) Be seen to work as a team during the game, communicating with them throughout
3) Brief replacement CARs, even though it holds the game up for 30s or so
Don't expect them to indicate for substitutions. Continue as you would to go to the touchline yourself to manage the process, half way line, checking kit, even when it's a return sub etc.
Observer will LOVE IT 😍

Pretty much what BigCat said.

My preference is to get the CARs in with the captain's before the coin toss so that 1) the cars are told the same thing, and 2) both captain's hear what you tell the CARs.

Briefing CARs when they change can be tricky, especially if you don't notice, but there's nothing wrong at a break in play to have a quick chat with the new assistant.

I would advise you to find out what duties are expected of CARs in this area.

Where I am they do ball in and out of play and offsides. But I know some areas only do ball in and out of play etc.

My preference is to get the CARs in with the captain's before the coin toss so that 1) the cars are told the same thing, and 2) both captain's hear what you tell the CARs.
this also helps tick a box for your observer. They won’t be watching you through the entirety of your pre match warmup so might miss you speaking to them if you do it then, but they will definitely see it if you’re doing it with the captains at the coin toss.

Pretty much what BigCat said.

Briefing CARs when they change can be tricky, especially if you don't notice, but there's nothing wrong at a break in play to have a quick chat with the new assistant.

I would advise you to find out what duties are expected of CARs in this area.

Where I am they do ball in and out of play and offsides. But I know some areas only do ball in and out of play etc.
in scotland it is ball out of play only

Back