A&H

Junior/Youth CARs age

TravisW12

Hi all,

Just wondering the ages of some of the CARs and if they're allowed to run the line for a game.

If somebody is 14, can they run the line in an U15 game? (Not referee it)
Just struggling to find the rule actually written anywhere!

The Referee Store
I have no idea, but I'm assuming not considering that some people have been discussing this in another article. I was told that when I start I can only do U11 and below (3 years younger) but that was due to the league's rules so it may be different for other people.

Hi all,

Just wondering the ages of some of the CARs and if they're allowed to run the line for a game.

If somebody is 14, can they run the line in an U15 game? (Not referee it)
Just struggling to find the rule actually written anywhere!
This is a genuinely good question. I’d assume it’s same age as it is for refs officially. But I’ve seen loads of games where a kid is given the flag. Not as big of a problem with my CFA where they’re only allowed to call ins and outs (still wouldn’t want it though), but a 12 year old being given a flag and being asked to do offsides and fouls is a whole different level

This is a genuinely good question. I’d assume it’s same age as it is for refs officially. But I’ve seen loads of games where a kid is given the flag. Not as big of a problem with my CFA where they’re only allowed to call ins and outs (still wouldn’t want it though), but a 12 year old being given a flag and being asked to do offsides and fouls is a whole different level
I had no idea how to put it in Google haha.

Only asking as I have a family friend who wants to run the line for me in an U15 girls game.

He's 14 - but he's qualified at Level 8.

I would ask your RDO. But I am going to say the chances are probably not.
In England refs can only referee up to one age below their age group until 16 (15 upto u14) , from when there are no restrictions.
I expect the same to apply to assistant refereeing as well.

In England refs can only referee up to one age below their age group until 16 (15 upto u14) , from when there are no restrictions.
If you referee youth games though, you’d often find the subs being given a flag, which obviously they wouldnt be able to do if the rules were same as refs. Although perhaps it’s just a loosely enforced rule.

If you want my guess, I would agree with James in terms of law. However I have spent the last 30 minutes trying to figure this out, and there’s no actual answer in IFAB, FA, my local league or my county FA at all to this question. I guess that means it’s the same as actual refereeing but still all rather strange I must say.

If you referee youth games though, you’d often find the subs being given a flag, which obviously they wouldnt be able to do if the rules were same as refs. Although perhaps it’s just a loosely enforced rule.

If you want my guess, I would agree with James in terms of law. However I have spent the last 30 minutes trying to figure this out, and there’s no actual answer in IFAB, FA, my local league or my county FA at all to this question. I guess that means it’s the same as actual refereeing but still all rather strange I must say.
I'm very glad I'm not the only one who struggled to find an answer haha! Many thanks for your help.

Will do, cheers mate

Back