A&H

Cards, when to start?

Jakegre1

Now the old age question, at what age do you start handing out cards?

I am mainly doing U12 games at the moment, as I am newly qualified and a relatively young referee. I have faced a few incidents, where DOGSO has occurred but so far I have just dealt with it by a strong word, warning the player if that happened in an older age group - they would be dismissed. I have thought about this for a few weeks and I am still not sure how to deal with this in the future.

Another incident I faced was when a player gave me abuse on at least two occasions - first time, warning - 2nd time, another warning. Now once again, I have has some time to think about this, and I am now thinking this probably warrants a caution.

How would you deal with this?

The Referee Store
I am mainly doing U12 games at the moment, as I am newly qualified and a relatively young referee.

I'm of the view that you should treat them the same as an adult. Get into the habit of doing it now, so that when you transfer to adult games it will be a seamless one.

I have faced a few incidents, where DOGSO has occurred but so far I have just dealt with it by a strong word, warning the player if that happened in an older age group - they would be dismissed. I have thought about this for a few weeks and I am still not sure how to deal with this in the future.

That is not a good thing to be doing. Essentially you are not applying or following the laws of the game here. For things as clear as DOSGO or the abuse you are encountering, there's no excuse for not punishing them. It is going to make you look weak and will be unfair to the teams who end up not benefiting from a correct red/yellow card.

My answer is that you should enforce the laws correctly along with the punishments now, so that you don't go further into any bad habits of misapplying or outright ignoring the laws.

It's not an exact science. Because my boy plays, I've refereed everything from poor standard U8s through to U18 Academy hopefuls
Until the offside Law comes into effect (U11's as i recall), football would not expect cards and dismissals for boys and girls making mistakes as part of their learning process. Tolerance of mistakes and coaching the players whilst refereeing, is based equally on ability level and age group. I've refereed Red Division (1) U12's where I've adhered strictly to the LOTG, whereas I've been shown leniency with U15's of limited ability
Offences involving dissent, offinabus and violent conduct should always be sanctioned properly, regardless of anything else

Youngster always want to be like their hero's,so we should referee accordingly.

DOGSO - if a deliberate take out, then RC. If just a foul, then warning (whereas an OA player may be gone)..

ABUSE - deal regardless of age, they need to learn the correct respect in football.

The other time I think you should always caution youngster is taking their shirt off after scoring. All Pros get cautioned for it, so they be like their heros and get a YC.....

I made the mistake when i first started reffing (only this season) of not carrying out the LOTG and letting a few things go.

I dealt with the fouls and the dissent but did let one DOGSO go in an U12 game with the score at 5/6-0 with ten minutes or so to go.

I know it was the wrong thing to do by law but felt right at the time, the question is at what score is there not enough gap that make it possible to come back.

I learnt quickly the best thing to do is do everything by the letter of the law, you will constantly get "well the ref last week never sent him off" sadly thats out of your hands but will only benefit you if you do things right.

I'm not sure that giving a red for DOGSO to a 9 year old is the way to go. I've seen a kid in tears for this. He didn't know the law and the score of the match isn't recorded at that age so a chat with the players and coach at the end is more than enough. Once the results start to be recorded then you apply the laws to the letter imo. Just like the 9 year old, I've seen refs let my 14 year old step son off with blatant foul throws and dangerous tackles because it's junior football. He is more than aware of the laws and if he deserves a card then he knows why, he needs more discipline not less at that age.

For comparison, u12s rugby match for my youngest step son this morning. Scores not recorded until next year but this was a close match. The ref explained every decision he made but it got to the point where they are ignoring his advice because they wanted to win and they knew that they'd get away with forward passes, high tackles and close offsides with just a word afterwards and that he's allow the try. As a ref you need to know when you're educating them and when they (and their coach) are using your leniance to their advantage.

Cautioned an U15 this morning for preventing the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands. Captain asked for an explanation which I provided and his response was that referees let him do it every week. Manager asked me at half time and I explained. He thanked me and said he'd now coach his players differently.

I thought when I cautioned the player that he was taking one for the team. Admired the captain and the manager for coming and asking the question in the right way.

Sent off an under 15 for throwing a ball into another players face.
Binned an under 18 for handball on the line. He asked your not going to book me for that are you.
I have given cards in 9 aside footie but never in 7 a side.

I booked an U8, 3 cardable fouls, warnings, then he properly kicked someone up in the air.... again!!!

Cautioned an U15 this morning for preventing the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands.

Can I ask why this is a caution? I've heard conflicting views on this from referees and not sure why exactly this would be a cautionable offence - naturally an IFK but it's not a mandatory caution is it?

Have to say, I really dislike the term 'binned' (or similar). Glamorises the act of dismissing a player, which is not an objective of a referee
"Glamorises"? Really, I'd have thought there was little glamorous about bins......mine certainly are not!

Reactions: Kes
Jumping in front of a keeper? Sticking a leg out? Really reckless?
Absolutely. If keeper kicks through and catches studs it will be painful. Classic disregard for consequence to opponent. Jumping not so much but we always have shows disrespect to the game to fall back on as well.

If the leg is anywhere near then sure.. Every time I've seen it happen the leg has been far enough in front that there's been no danger whatsoever.

To many "what if's" with this goalkeeper scenario. :rolleyes:

You can't caution a player for something which could possibly happen. :wall:

Back