The Ref Stop

Cardiff vs Leeds

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Thoughts on this? I’m a Leeds fan, but try not to be biased…

I think this is a great decision. The commentator thought Cardiff were really hard done by because of this.

For me, it’s only being debated because he’s got up and tried to carry on. If the foul doesn’t happen, it’s essentially a 2 on 1 with the keeper

The Ref Stop
I think it is DOGSO purely because without the foul, as you said, he has a good chance of scoring.
He was fouled, and although tried to continue the attack, this proved that the chance for a goal was drastically reduced, with the Cardiff player able to put him off further with another challenge.

I had to go back to good book because I am sure I remember a little red herring in the DOGSO laws, but happy to be led by the more experience.

My understanding is that it can't be a red card for DOGSO because advantage was played and this seems to be supported by;

If the referee plays advantage following an offence that would have resulted in a red or yellow card being shown, the card must be shown next time the game stops. However:
  • if the offence was denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, a yellow card is shown instead of a red card as playing advantage allowed the attack to continue
  • if the offence was stopping a promising attack, no card is shown as playing advantage allowed the attack to continue

I had to go back to good book because I am sure I remember a little red herring in the DOGSO laws, but happy to be led by the more experience.

My understanding is that it can't be a red card for DOGSO because advantage was played and this seems to be supported by;

If the referee plays advantage following an offence that would have resulted in a red or yellow card being shown, the card must be shown next time the game stops. However:
  • if the offence was denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, a yellow card is shown instead of a red card as playing advantage allowed the attack to continue
  • if the offence was stopping a promising attack, no card is shown as playing advantage allowed the attack to continue
That’s if the advantage is successfully played though. In other words, play is not stopped for the offence.

In this case, the referee has decided the advantage did not materialise, and penalises the offence by means of a DFK.

As the offence has now been penalised with no successful application of advantage, the red card still applies.

I can’t see any signal for an Advantage but I can see him placing a whistle to his mouth following the initial incident. Whether he blows it at this stage i don’t know.

Back