A&H

Cardiff v City

The Referee Store
As a city fan myself, I'm not sure that the Ref can be certain that it's a red. Slow no replays always make things look worse. This was no way near as bad as some of the tackles Cardiff made v City last year in the FA Cup!

As a city fan myself, I'm not sure that the Ref can be certain that it's a red. Slow no replays always make things look worse. This was no way near as bad as some of the tackles Cardiff made v City last year in the FA Cup!
Accept the slow mo argument but what happened last year or in any other game is irrelevant. It the type of "last week's ref" comment a player would make.

For me based on what I see in this vid, it's a red card. It's the type of tackle that could snap a player's shin bone in half. It most likely would have here had the city player not pulled his leg away in the last moment (had he followed through with the shot).

Oliver was so close he can see what contact was actually made. So yellow. But it looks so much like s red card from here.

Oliver was so close he can see what contact was actually made. So yellow. But it looks so much like s red card from here.

That compounds the offence (Oliver's in not giving red). The reference to Cardiff last year was that that came in a series of nasty tackles (double figures) against City which got yellow instead of red. Of course after Pep complained publicly Delph was sent off at Wigan (the one where Taylor was giving yellow until someone said to give red) but it stopped the "open season" feeling. So we don't want to set another trend.

Anyway, how can you have a five-minute injury stop, and six subs and only have 3 minutes added time?

Last edited:
Accept the slow mo argument but what happened last year or in any other game is irrelevant. It the type of "last week's ref" comment a player would make.

For me based on what I see in this vid, it's a red card. It's the type of tackle that could snap a player's shin bone in half. It most likely would have here had the city player not pulled his leg away in the last moment (had he followed through with the shot).

I certainly wasn't advocating that what happened in any other game should influence this game! I was just making a point about the context of this match.

Oliver looks like he's almost looking through Gundogen to see the incident there,I'm not sure he saw the full extent of the tackle. It's not black and white for Oliver imo, especially given his viewpoint, he's almost too close the incident maybe.

Anyway, how can you have a five-minute injury stop, and six subs and only have 3 minutes added time?
The match was 5-0. The losing team was already frustrated.

Having a full 6-7 minutes is just going to raise temperatures that much more and things could potentially get out of hand. 3? Nobody's really going to question that.

The match was 5-0. The losing team was already frustrated.

Having a full 6-7 minutes is just going to raise temperatures that much more and things could potentially get out of hand. 3? Nobody's really going to question that.

Fine at parks level - no one is going to bat an eyelid. Can you really get away with it in the PL?

Fine at parks level - no one is going to bat an eyelid. Can you really get away with it in the PL?

Yes, game management is probably preached to referees there more than anywhere else and I doubt he will get any grief from the observing panel. The law of sod dictates that something will happen in those extra minutes that would have been entirely avoidable.

I set a fairly high bar for SFP admittedly. Clearly there's a strong case for a dismissal here however. Ignoring the slo-mo's, I fancy most of us would've missed this at pitch level in real time

I set a fairly high bar for SFP admittedly. Clearly there's a strong case for a dismissal here however. Ignoring the slo-mo's, I fancy most of us would've missed this at pitch level in real time
Hmmm Michael Oliver is possibly the ”best referee” in the country. He is 4 yards away. OK there’s a chance he missed it. But I think he had a better view than we will ever have. I think the benefit of the D to MO...

Like two goals that count toward vital goal difference at season's end?

Don't disagree, but then equally if Cardiff get frustrated and a key Man City player gets injured in the 5th minute of stoppage time after a dad challenge the referee would have City asking why he played so much time. Sometimes as a referee you can't win.

I'm just saying it as it is, and I don't just mean in England, when the game is "dead" you often see much less time added than should have been had all stoppages been accounted for.

Don't disagree, but then equally if Cardiff get frustrated and a key Man City player gets injured in the 5th minute of stoppage time after a dad challenge the referee would have City asking why he played so much time. Sometimes as a referee you can't win.

I'm just saying it as it is, and I don't just mean in England, when the game is "dead" you often see much less time added than should have been had all stoppages been accounted for.
At elite level, x minutes added time = x minutes added time

At elite level, x minutes added time = x minutes added time

Yes, once it has been signalled that is what is played. But on this occasion the referee only indicated 3 minutes even though there had been a long stoppage and several substitutions.

Yes, once it has been signalled that is what is played. But on this occasion the referee only indicated 3 minutes even though there had been a long stoppage and several substitutions.
OK, i've bought the premise that 6-7 minutes would have been appropriate. Can't say if this is true

Back