A&H

Can you give a sin bin when a player swears at a player or manager of the opposing team?

newref

Hi. I wanted to ask if you can give a sin bin for a player swearing or using foul gestures or signals to the opposing team during a game? Or would you just give a normal yellow card?

The Referee Store
Sin bin is for dissent unless stated otherwise in the competition laws, so I would think swearing in the circumstances you write is a standard YC or RC depending on what's said, manner it's said etc.

So apart from when there is abuse, swearing or gestures directed towards the referee, is their anything else which can be penalized with a sin bin?

So apart from when there is abuse, swearing or gestures directed towards the referee, is their anything else which can be penalized with a sin bin?

In England, no, it's only for dissent. you have options to caution for unsporting behaviour for adopting an aggressive attitude though.

be careful when using the word abuse though, as this would indicate that the offence would warrant a red card, not yellow.

In England, no, it's only for dissent. you have options to caution for unsporting behaviour for adopting an aggressive attitude though.

be careful when using the word abuse though, as this would indicate that the offence would warrant a red card, not yellow.
What about actions like kicking the ball away. This is also regarded as dissent. So would this be a sin bin?

What about actions like kicking the ball away. This is also regarded as dissent. So would this be a sin bin?

yeah dissent by action is still dissent so would be penalised with a sin bin. same as sarcastic clapping or slamming the ball down.

Kicking the ball away can be dissent (by action) Which would result in a sin bin or it could be delaying the restart (Which would simply be a standard caution) depending on the context/circumstances surrounding it.

Kicking the ball away can be dissent (by action) Which would result in a sin bin or it could be delaying the restart (Which would simply be a standard caution) depending on the context/circumstances surrounding it.
I would add to this. My rule of thumb, did he kick it away because he was upset with the decision or was it for wasting time or to stop a quick free kick?

Former is dissent, latter is delaying restart.

If it was for both, you take a pick, whichever the more serious offence (most impact).

For kicking the ball away you need to decide whether this was dissent by action, or delaying the restart. If it was to delay and not to dissent a decision then there is no temporary dismissal

Typically if they blast the ball away it is more likely to be an act of dissent than if they sneakily tap it away which would be more like delaying.

Hi. I wanted to ask if you can give a sin bin for a player swearing or using foul gestures or signals to the opposing team during a game? Or would you just give a normal yellow card?
The starting point for offensive, insulting or abusive words and/or actions is a red card. If you decide to treat it as unsporting behaviour, which is incorrect in law but happens regularly (e.g. for an immediate swear word when you award a free kick) that is a caution in England.
If you treat it as dissent (which it is not if it is directed at opponents, managers, or team-mates) that is a temporary dismissal ("Sin bin") in England.

Depends on how unpleasant you consider it to be. Your options are (from lowest to highest severity)
1. Ignore it
2. Quiet or public warning at the next stoppage
3. Standard (non-sin-bin) yellow card for Adopting an Aggressive attitude
4. Red card for Offensive, Insulting or Abusive language

Generally speaking, 1 is for friendly but sweary banter that the opponents are in on and happy to go along with, 2 is for the same but where the opponents seem a little bit unhappy with it, 3 is for where you think the player is trying to provoke a response from the opponents and 4 is for when it's clearly unacceptable abuse. Judging which of those it is has to be entirely down to you.

Things you can't do:
Sin bin - this is only for dissent ie. disagreeing with a refereeing decision, so not appropriate if directed at opponents
Stop play without also giving a red/yellow card - you're empowered to stop the game in order to issue a card (IKF restart), but if you're planning to just tell him to "cool it", you must wait for the next natural stoppage and then delay the restart at that point to have a chat.

but if you're planning to just tell him to "cool it", you must wait for the next natural stoppage and then delay the restart at that point to have a chat.
Must disagree. It is illadvised but there is nothing in law to stop you from doing it. Restart would be a dropped ball.

I am on Graeme's side with this section of this one. Law states that if stopping play to caution or dismiss the restart is an indirect free kick - it does not mandate stopping play to have a word with anyone. Restarting with a dropped ball would be fraught with issues, too - who was the offender, who touched the ball last before the whistle, etc,

Misread.

"If stopping play for a caution then IFK" does not equate to "if stopping play it has to be a caution and IFK".

Also just because it does not mandate it, it does not mean it prohibits it.

Happy to be corrected using a quote from law that says or equates to that you can not stop play for a non offence (within this context).

In fact in more than one occasion I have stopped play without an offence because I knew if don't I'm going to have a mass con on my hand. It's being proactive and preventitive. All in accordance with law and DB restart.

If you're stopping play, it's for a caution. We've had this out before
I think you referring to what we had out before "if you are stopping play for a IFK, it's a caution" in the context of dissent.

No argument there. If you are restarting with IFK then it was deemed and offence and if so it has to be a caution.

Misread.

"If stopping play for a caution then IFK" does not equate to "if stopping play it has to be a caution and IFK".

Also just because it does not mandate it, it does not mean it prohibits it.

Happy to be corrected using a quote from law that says or equates to that you can not stop play for a non offence (within this context).

In fact in more than one occasion I have stopped play without an offence because I knew if don't I'm going to have a mass con on my hand. It's being proactive and preventitive. All in accordance with law and DB restart.
Law 12 excerpt: "All verbal offences are penalised with an indirect free kick"

Please read my post again. On serveral occasions I did say if it was not deemed an offence, a non-offence etc. It all started from @GraemeS saying you must not stop play just to tell him to cool it. Yes I can if I want to calm him before he gets himself into trouble and commit an offence (albeit illadvised).

Here we go round the mulberry bush . . .

If it is an offense, it is a caution and an IFK.

If the ref is deeming it not an offense and having a word, but stops play, then the only possible restart is a DB. The referee certainly has the power to do this. But that doesn't make it right. IMHO, this would be an extraordinary step for a ref to take that should be reserved (if ever used) for truly exceptional situations. And even then, only if there is clear possession by the defense--anything else would have the DB causing more problems than any that were solved by stopping for the DB.

The starting point for offensive, insulting or abusive words and/or actions is a red card. If you decide to treat it as unsporting behaviour, which is incorrect in law but happens regularly (e.g. for an immediate swear word when you award a free kick) that is a caution in England.
If you treat it as dissent (which it is not if it is directed at opponents, managers, or team-mates) that is a temporary dismissal ("Sin bin") in England.

I think I disagree that it is "incorrect in Law." If, ITOOTR, the words don't rise to the level of an OFFINABUS send off, that doesn't mean the words were not unsporting. (If what you mean is that ITOOTR the words do rise to the level of OFFINABUS, but the ref doesn't feel like giving the red, it would be incorrect in Law to just give a yellow, then I would agree with you--but it would be more incorrect in Law to do nothing.)

Back