A&H

Can I submit a misconduct report for a 'fan'?

BrisRef

Hi all - I had a brawl at the end of my game this afternoon, sparked by a fairly nothing foul against the home team that I was ready to caution for. Straight away, though, out of nowhere a spectator from the home team runs on to the pitch and hits the offender, leading to a melee in which I sent two away players off for violent conduct as both punched/hit the fan and a home team player respectively. I tried ascertaining the spectator's name but he'd gone by the time I got to him + after the game, and the other home players said they've never seen him before.

I would obviously include the fact that the spectator was involved in misconduct reports to the league + on Whole Game, but is there anything more I can/should actually do about the unnamed spectator? And just to confirm, is a further misconduct report for the reds required or will the descriptions of each incident suffice?

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks!

The Referee Store
Err, no.

Just state that the HT were unable to control their supporters, nor to preserve the safety of any player as this third party was able to gain access to the pitch. Put a description of the purpertrator in (build, height, jack, trousers and shoes / hat etc) and their actions.

If you cautioned for the tackle then a YC caution report is needed for that.

If the two reds were staight reds for VC, then put them in as individual RC reports.

Misconduct report for the incidnet as the person came onto the pitch and assaulted an AT player.

Don't forget that whilst stating facts, keep it to facts alone. In the W minute you SAW X, you decided Y and as a result you did Z. No opinions, no thoughts or waffle.

Got it, thanks for your help. I should know this but (thankfully) in 5 years of refereeing I've never had to even consider misconduct for a coach, let alone a spectator, so am a but rusty in this regard. I cautioned for the tackle, yes, so will do all that as usual - cheers

How do you know he was associated with the home team?

You can submit an Extraordinary Report for the spectator assaulting a player, but if the home team are claiming not to know them (a perennial favourite), unless you can provide some strong evidence to might lead to identification, then nothing much is going to happen. The home team might get charged, but they will just deny all knowledge of the guy and that is where it will end unless you have a name, part of a name, even if he was wearing a team tracksuit with initials on...etc etc

He looked identical to one of the home team players, and although he got away at first I saw him getting in to a car with the bloke so I presume they were brothers or something. I suppose I'll just mention it briefly in the misconduct report when describing the incident as a whole.

Edit: @Padfoot For what it's worth I know the full name of the player he was associated with, do I bother including this or should I leave it?

Last edited:
Maybe a few West Sham fans need a misconduct report! That could have got dangerous and out of control very easily!

He looked identical to one of the home team players, and although he got away at first I saw him getting in to a car with the bloke so I presume they were brothers or something. I suppose I'll just mention it briefly in the misconduct report when describing the incident as a whole.

Edit: @Padfoot For what it's worth I know the full name of the player he was associated with, do I bother including this or should I leave it?

If you know the identity of the player he left with then you could submit a report stating that. How do you know the full name of the player? Might be worth putting that in the report.

If you know the identity of the player he left with then you could submit a report stating that. How do you know the full name of the player? Might be worth putting that in the report.

I will do in that case - I remember the player's first name and I've got a team sheet so have been able to corroborate it

If you saw him getting in a car with a home player that’s the evidence Padfoot referred to, so mention it on the report. They can’t say they don’t know him if they travel with him. The home team should be charged because otherwise this may happen again.

Many years ago I had an incident involving a spectator for a team I had previously played for. An away player committed a serious foul - broken leg / straight red. Obviously the game stopped while the injured player was made comfortable. One of the home players made a comment, at which the spectator ran on and head butted him. As I’d played for the team I knew him and also knew he had previous - he did the same to a referee in a game I played in! We rightly got done, but it didn’t stop him.
The assaulted player was a customs officer, and most of his team were police, so on that occasion I had to go to court as a witness because they pushed it all the way. I never saw him at a game after that!
As stated, keep to the facts. It may be worth getting a more experienced colleague to check what you write before you send it if you’re not sure.

Clubs have a responsibility to control there spectators. Therefore get it all down in writing and talk to a trusted colleague first. Then report. If sufficient evidence from your report the club will be charged by the FA for failing to control there spectators. An example of this is West Ham united situation today no doubt they will be charged

Back