A&H

Can a verbal distraction ever be dogso?

micky2001

Tournament at the weekend and I gave a IDFK and yellow for a verbal distraction at the halfway line. I spoke to another referee and said that it was my first time with that offence and we were wondering...can a verbal distraction ever be deemed as DOGSO?

We thought yes because it may unfairly influence the outcome of the strikers shot at goal. However, the opportunity technically wasn't denied since they would have still been able to take advantage of the situation.

We agreed that it was a IDFK but wondered about what colour card we could have shown. Anyone know for sure?

The Referee Store
I just cannot visualise the kind of verbals which would distract an attacker that much that he wasn't able to shoot or create DOGSO conditions? Unless it was some kind of manga cartoon power blast shout which blew the player off the ball!!

In theory, yes, verbal distraction could result in a red card for DOGSO but it would have to be an extremely blatant verbal distraction and a very obvious goal scoring opportunity. Like SM I'm struggling to envisgage a realistic scenario where I would issue a red card.

I can envisage it.... keeper tried to power up... and out he pops from a cloud of smoke... a super sayan goku style....

Only in the anime though...

Maybe "Stop the play, theres a baby in front of you"? :D

I can't really think of anything that would stop you from shooting...

Back