A&H

Calling offside alone.

Callum Aris

Level 7 Referee
Hi all,

I've tried to see if there has been a thread about this before and I can't find one or I've just missed it. I have refereed in Stafford for about 5 years and have recently moved to Manchester and carried on refereeing up here. I referee across 4 leagues throughout the week and all leagues use the same rule of having no CAR's to help out. Now moving from an area where I've had CAR'S to assist with offside decision making to having to make offside calls myself feels quite difficult for me, as i feel i can make great decisions throughout the game regarding fouls ect. but if i make a wrong offside call I'm public enemy number one and all credibility they have goes out the window. I'm just seeking any advice that anybody has that finds themselves in the same situation or those who have ideas. I'm just interested to see what methods, positioning and processes you use or would advise.

Thanks in advance,
Callum.

The Referee Store
You do your best and sometimes you're in a position where a ball could be played 60 yards and you're 40 yards away from where say a liner would be, not a lot you can do about that.

My personal thinking from my short time in the middle is if its tight give it offside, yes a few might moan but its generally forgotten about as no goal has came from it.

Letting a tight one go could result in a goal so its affected the game more.

I had a parent moan only last week about one i gave off, i basically said at the end of the game that i have no assistants, no watches telling me if a ball has crossed the line and no video replays, he get a better understanding of it (wont stop them moaning next week)

I just explain that it's almost impossible to get them all right, especially from a long ball ad I will be looking the other way when the ball is played. But i also insist that I'm absolutely honest and give everything as I see it. I understand the point above about always giving tight ones as offside and I have no issue with that, but for me I always go for 100% honesty. If I'm not sure then we play on and if anyone questions my decisions I tell them that I wasn't 100% sure so we played on and it's the same for both sides.

Always call the obvious ones and do your best to see things from a relatively wide perspective to catch the less so obvious. Running a loose diagonal can assist in this but you don’t need to religious about following it! You are going to get complaints but, I generally turn around and say “do you see my linesman?” Don’t forget to walk away in order not to give players a platform.

In the absence of assistants, there's no advantage of running towards the defensive right back compared with the defensive left back. It makes no difference on which side you get wide
@Ciley Myrus has gone to ground recently, but i'm converting to his preaching that CARs cause us a massive headache (except at youth level)

.... i'm converting to his preaching that CARs cause us a massive headache (except at youth level)

What I find the hardest is when you have one good CAR, and one useless one.

Both good, fantastic - you can rely on them both to help you out. May not get everything right, but better than no one.

Both bad. Ok, you know you’re pretty much on your own, and adapt your game accordingly.

One good, one bad - watch out! It’s easy to forget about the bad one until it’s too late. I had this with an U18 game recently - one CAR (and play was mainly at his end) worked hard all game, kept up, made good, credible decisions. Whilst I wasn’t relying on him like a NAR he was helpful - these U18s were fit & fast and (me) being in line with the last defender was not always the best position to be in. S0ds law, ball breaks the other way, I keep up with play, occupying a good position, running my diagonal. Ball gets whipped in, flicked on, tucked away. I think it may be offside, but I’m not in a position to call it. Glance across to where I expect the Lino to be to see if he’s flagged or not .... nothing, he’s still twiddling his thumbs on the half way line. I give the goal (it was a consolation in a meaningless game, so no damage done.) After the game the manager was convinced it was offside, but fully understood I was in no position to call it, and “educated” his Lino/sub on the need to keep up with play.

When I first started out, I never had NARs so always worked as a “lone wolf”. Now I’m more experienced, I sometimes do games with NARS, sometimes not. It is remembering the difference - to adapt ones patrol path to suit - that can catch me out.

Pre-empt protests by saying you'll do your best but you're not going to get every one right. Say you'll be the same for both teams. Run more so when you've finished blowing the whistle for an offside, you're 5 yards nearer a better position for getting credit for the decision.

It's a tricky one. You can't get it 100% correct with AR's, let alone without. I've refereed in areas with and without CAR's - I'll take refereeing by myself over CAR's anyday, and I haven't even had a particularly bad CAR!

First off, reconsider your positioning. Positioning is about considering the various events that might happen, how likely Event A is compared to Event B, what's the relative significance of Even A compared to event B (A might be more likely, but B might be a game-changer), and what are you sacrificing for your position. One position might give you a great view of A and no view of B, the other gives you a moderate view of both.
With a NAR, you can take offside position judgement out of that equation almost entirely. Offside may be game changing, it's quite likely to occur, but everywhere you have a near-perfect view (because of your AR), so position yourself for other things instead.

Without an AR, you need to reconsider your positioning. Diagonals may become pointless.

Take a ceremonial FK, for instance. Normally you're sort of in front and to the side, looking into the PA at an angle with a view of the wall. But that gives me zero view of a close offside - which is fairly likely to occur. So I'll basically adopt the AR's position - on the field, but directly in line with the 2nd last defender. It compromises my position to see everything else, but I've still got some view (and don't forget, the 'traditional' position can still leave me unsighted for events that may occur behind the wall - no position gives you a view of everything that may occur). That position also allows me to quickly move to the goal line if there's a shot as well.

I've had games with one NAR, and I've found myself positioning almost where other AR would normally be - spending most of the game up near the other team's sweeper. This has just been the occasional weird game where there were few fouls, even challenges in the middle of the park, lots of long balls....basically, really weird positioning, but in that occasional game I don't believe I missed anything. Just an example of how you reconsider your positioning.

As for spotting offsides - there's a few things you can do to help. First off, you need to preempt play more. Constantly glance up to where the attackers are. Who's looking to start a run? Who might be free? Where is the ball carrier starting to look? Who's calling for the ball? But you want to do this without looking away from the ball-carrier - so sometimes you may need to get wider or deeper to have the offside line in your peripheral vision. You may need to start running upfield a bit earlier as well

Without an AR, I'll sometimes find myself standing off the field for throw-ins as well - after all, you also need to adjust your positioning for ball in/out of play. I change my corner position to standing off the goal line, around the GA, as opposed to infield around the corner of the PA.

Back to offsides, use the field markings. Not just the PA, but you might have a slightly discoloured line of grass across the field where there's drainage or something. I also find that if I quickly run my eye back and forth along the grass, almost like I'm tracking an imaginary line, then I can almost draw a virtual line in my mind. This has helped me a lot. Try it on a field. Stand in the middle of the field, pick a spot near the touch line, say, 5-10 yards out from the PA, quickly run your eye along the ground to the other line. You should have an idea of what bits of grass were on that, compare them to the PA, and you'll see it was pretty accurate. I found myself starting to do that in play - I may not be sure if somebody is in an offside position, but I 'draw' my imaginary line and I'd feel like my view is just as good as if I had an AR.
Finally, reconsider your position during the game. If you feel like you might be unsure of a few close ones, then change your positioning to pick them up. Sometimes it's just hard to spot - especially if the attacker is usually a long way across the field from the nearest defender, these are very tricky. I've had games where the red team's balls going through, I'd even be able to spot the close offside but for the red team, I'd struggle to have a clue just because of the relative positioning of the players. It's tough, and offside will cause problems.

And sometimes you'll incorrectly call an attacker offside as well. It's really the fault of the players running a close offside line without an AR!

What he said!

Wider diagonal. If you can run, now’s your chance, when possession changes, get to the other diagonal.
Sacrifice some ball in/out where your ARs would be for a wider view of offsides.
Be at the offside line for DFKs, be on the goal line sonetimes at corners.
Anticipate long balls, pay attention to the sneaky winger on the touchline.

Personally, I don’t want to incorrectly stop a good goal.

A couple of times in games where attackers try to get creative by constantly standing in offside positions I remind them how difficult they are making it for me.

In games with no ARs I always remind the coaches/captains to play to the whistle. In the end, the situation we want to avoid is a close or technical offside where a lot of players stop playing with no whistle. Be proactive about this before the game - and during the game if some of the guys have a Dixon-Adams complex!

Hi all,

I've tried to see if there has been a thread about this before and I can't find one or I've just missed it. I have refereed in Stafford for about 5 years and have recently moved to Manchester and carried on refereeing up here. I referee across 4 leagues throughout the week and all leagues use the same rule of having no CAR's to help out. Now moving from an area where I've had CAR'S to assist with offside decision making to having to make offside calls myself feels quite difficult for me, as i feel i can make great decisions throughout the game regarding fouls ect. but if i make a wrong offside call I'm public enemy number one and all credibility they have goes out the window. I'm just seeking any advice that anybody has that finds themselves in the same situation or those who have ideas. I'm just interested to see what methods, positioning and processes you use or would advise.

Thanks in advance,
Callum.
Or you can for the idea of earlier times, and play without the offside rule! :asshat:

No, you make you best efforts to assess. You will have an idea of their positioning, their running speed, etc so just guess. If they complain, then say "I thought he was offside". You will make mistakes, but do your best. Explain to the captains at the coin toss, that you will do your best for offside, and the players have to expect that. If the moaning becomes dissent, then caution. They will only learn by paying the CFA.

You do your best and sometimes you're in a position where a ball could be played 60 yards and you're 40 yards away from where say a liner would be, not a lot you can do about that.

My personal thinking from my short time in the middle is if its tight give it offside, yes a few might moan but its generally forgotten about as no goal has came from it.

Letting a tight one go could result in a goal so its affected the game more.

I had a parent moan only last week about one i gave off, i basically said at the end of the game that i have no assistants, no watches telling me if a ball has crossed the line and no video replays, he get a better understanding of it (wont stop them moaning next week)

Yeah thanks that was one of my thoughts. Do I let tight decisions go or call the tight decisions and pull them back for offside. Thanks fo advice.

I just explain that it's almost impossible to get them all right, especially from a long ball ad I will be looking the other way when the ball is played. But i also insist that I'm absolutely honest and give everything as I see it. I understand the point above about always giving tight ones as offside and I have no issue with that, but for me I always go for 100% honesty. If I'm not sure then we play on and if anyone questions my decisions I tell them that I wasn't 100% sure so we played on and it's the same for both sides.
Yeah I do always include it in my pre match talk with the captains and just say I will try my best but won’t be right all the time. The managers moan as they often do have a better view but I just try and explain I don’t have the side line view.

Always call the obvious ones and do your best to see things from a relatively wide perspective to catch the less so obvious. Running a loose diagonal can assist in this but you don’t need to religious about following it! You are going to get complaints but, I generally turn around and say “do you see my linesman?” Don’t forget to walk away in order not to give players a platform.
That’s a line I’ll be using in future, like that one 👍🏻

Pre-empt protests by saying you'll do your best but you're not going to get every one right. Say you'll be the same for both teams. Run more so when you've finished blowing the whistle for an offside, you're 5 yards nearer a better position for getting credit for the decision.

That’s definitely what I’ve started to do now. I let them know at the coin toss and say I’m gonna be exactly the same for both teams and just play to the whistle. Because it’s surprising to me that when they know the referee is calling the offside with no assistants, they still stop dead still when they think somebody is offside very risky.

It's a tricky one. You can't get it 100% correct with AR's, let alone without. I've refereed in areas with and without CAR's - I'll take refereeing by myself over CAR's anyday, and I haven't even had a particularly bad CAR!

First off, reconsider your positioning. Positioning is about considering the various events that might happen, how likely Event A is compared to Event B, what's the relative significance of Even A compared to event B (A might be more likely, but B might be a game-changer), and what are you sacrificing for your position. One position might give you a great view of A and no view of B, the other gives you a moderate view of both.
With a NAR, you can take offside position judgement out of that equation almost entirely. Offside may be game changing, it's quite likely to occur, but everywhere you have a near-perfect view (because of your AR), so position yourself for other things instead.

Without an AR, you need to reconsider your positioning. Diagonals may become pointless.

Take a ceremonial FK, for instance. Normally you're sort of in front and to the side, looking into the PA at an angle with a view of the wall. But that gives me zero view of a close offside - which is fairly likely to occur. So I'll basically adopt the AR's position - on the field, but directly in line with the 2nd last defender. It compromises my position to see everything else, but I've still got some view (and don't forget, the 'traditional' position can still leave me unsighted for events that may occur behind the wall - no position gives you a view of everything that may occur). That position also allows me to quickly move to the goal line if there's a shot as well.

I've had games with one NAR, and I've found myself positioning almost where other AR would normally be - spending most of the game up near the other team's sweeper. This has just been the occasional weird game where there were few fouls, even challenges in the middle of the park, lots of long balls....basically, really weird positioning, but in that occasional game I don't believe I missed anything. Just an example of how you reconsider your positioning.

As for spotting offsides - there's a few things you can do to help. First off, you need to preempt play more. Constantly glance up to where the attackers are. Who's looking to start a run? Who might be free? Where is the ball carrier starting to look? Who's calling for the ball? But you want to do this without looking away from the ball-carrier - so sometimes you may need to get wider or deeper to have the offside line in your peripheral vision. You may need to start running upfield a bit earlier as well

Without an AR, I'll sometimes find myself standing off the field for throw-ins as well - after all, you also need to adjust your positioning for ball in/out of play. I change my corner position to standing off the goal line, around the GA, as opposed to infield around the corner of the PA.

Back to offsides, use the field markings. Not just the PA, but you might have a slightly discoloured line of grass across the field where there's drainage or something. I also find that if I quickly run my eye back and forth along the grass, almost like I'm tracking an imaginary line, then I can almost draw a virtual line in my mind. This has helped me a lot. Try it on a field. Stand in the middle of the field, pick a spot near the touch line, say, 5-10 yards out from the PA, quickly run your eye along the ground to the other line. You should have an idea of what bits of grass were on that, compare them to the PA, and you'll see it was pretty accurate. I found myself starting to do that in play - I may not be sure if somebody is in an offside position, but I 'draw' my imaginary line and I'd feel like my view is just as good as if I had an AR.
Finally, reconsider your position during the game. If you feel like you might be unsure of a few close ones, then change your positioning to pick them up. Sometimes it's just hard to spot - especially if the attacker is usually a long way across the field from the nearest defender, these are very tricky. I've had games where the red team's balls going through, I'd even be able to spot the close offside but for the red team, I'd struggle to have a clue just because of the relative positioning of the players. It's tough, and offside will cause problems.

And sometimes you'll incorrectly call an attacker offside as well. It's really the fault of the players running a close offside line without an AR!

Yeah in terms of set pieces I know exactly what you mean about compromising a good view of box incidents for getting the offside call and like you say it goes for most incidents on the pitch. I also like the idea of looking for marking and making guide line points.

Some very useful information in that post for me. Much appreciated.

I'm on my own in at least 90% of games and think/hope I get offside correct more often than not. However, on the rare occasions I have assistants (neutral) I'm surprised how often the flag goes up in situations where offside never crossed my mind!

Back