A&H

Call offs

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Anyone else had the most call offs they've ever had? I've had two middles since the start of November and about 4 call offs due to the weather. Now had 9 call offs since the start of the season (a couple were due to rearrangements because of teams' involvements with the FA Youth Cup). Is it just me who's experiencing way more call offs than usual?

The Referee Store
Not as bad as about 3 seasons ago. No football was played from about Oct through to feb/March with leagues having to be extended as they couldn't be finished in time.

Not as bad as about 3 seasons ago. No football was played from about Oct through to feb/March with leagues having to be extended as they couldn't be finished in time.
Wow, that was the year where I stopped playing and just before I started refereeing, which would be why I don't remember that

Played in 4’ snow, a few years back, best game I reffed that year, I didn’t buy into this see a puddle and dive for the duvet namby pampyism routine. hard iced pitches were different but we played most of the others!

Had 4 weekends now where I've had about 3 games in total I think, the weekend before that I booked out so 5 weekends with hardly and games.

I'm a fan of adverse weather, it's interesting, but it's starting to pee me off now.

Done only 2 Saturday matches since 19 Oct (and one of those was on 3G). All rained off.

It's worrying in as much as it's only pre-Christmas and traditionally, (certainly around these here parts) it's Feb and March that sees the heavy rain come and matches getting postponed. If that happens as usual, our grass roots leagues aren't going to finish until late June or even July!! :eek:

I'd expect lots of pitches to be truly waterlogged this weekend. Ordinarily however, the game has somehow morphed into a summer sport at grass roots. As soon as the concrete softens up, the pendulum swings towards protecting pitches until the concrete returns. The expectation gravitates towards an exact science instead of what was once known as sport. The excuse that the ground becomes unsafe is ridiculous when compared to the average player competing in warm weather and hard ground

Done only 2 Saturday matches since 19 Oct (and one of those was on 3G). All rained off.

It's worrying in as much as it's only pre-Christmas and traditionally, (certainly around these here parts) it's Feb and March that sees the heavy rain come and matches getting postponed. If that happens as usual, our grass roots leagues aren't going to finish until late June or even July!! :eek:
Yeah, one of my middles was on 3G. Definitely worried for the early months of next year. Last year wasn't that bad at all other than January for me

Played in 4’ snow, a few years back, best game I reffed that year, I didn’t buy into this see a puddle and dive for the duvet namby pampyism routine. hard iced pitches were different but we played most of the others!

I tried to walk to the supermarket through my local park earlier, had to give up as even the path was under water. The pitches resembled a lake, no one is playing on those for some time, at least not without canoes. It's been biblical down here, so much rain in the past 24 hours that both road and rain links to Gatwick were closed earlier today, ruining a good few Christmas getaway plans I would guess.

7 out of 10 games in Spartan South Midlands Premier tomorrow have gone down already, and I suspect the others will suffer the same fate. We aren't talking puddles here, rather lakes ..!

A29D2A37-66C7-45FF-A160-AA07C719FF2E.jpeg
No floods up here at the moment, looks like our Southern Softies are worse off this time! Keep the faith boys and don't go booking and holidays till May!!!!

Not a lot left at step 3 and below down here today. Pretty much just 3G and a few grass pitches that are on.
My mate who plays step 7 (I think that's what step it is) hasn't had many call offs surprisingly but his today is off. Hoping it isn't going to be as bad in a couple of months when it usually is...

Step 5 and 6 leagues here had 3 or 4 games on, one of which was on 4G. In one of the games on grass the ref had the NAR'S running right backs.

Step 7 league had 3 games on.

Back