A&H

"But I got the ball ref!"

The Referee Store
Perfect example of why getting the ball doesn't matter one little bit. Shame the referee misjudged it.
https://streamable.com/xygwn

That's not quite right--it does matter, just not the way some players think it does. Touching the ball, of course, is not a get out of jail free card. And it never turns a reckless (or EF) play into nothing. But, for example, a slide tackle that clears the ball and then has some contact is likely not a foul, whereas the same slide that doesn't get the ball would likely be a careless tackle or a tripping foul.

In other words, too many players (especially defenders!) think about it backwards--getting the ball is not determinative that there was not a foul, but failing to get the ball likely means there was a foul.

I had loads of these mistimed clearance tackles from lumpy centre halves who didn’t really care, man, ball, the lot... I fell out with a few that’s a fact.... but you can’t beat a good clean full blooded tackle, it puts bums on seats especially in the Championship.... not really allowed in the Prem!

I had loads of these mistimed clearance tackles from lumpy centre halves who didn’t really care, man, ball, the lot... I fell out with a few that’s a fact.... but you can’t beat a good clean full blooded tackle, it puts bums on seats especially in the Championship.... not really allowed in the Prem!

1980's calling the 2010's - can we have our referee back please? :)

1980's calling the 2010's - can we have our referee back please? :)
Players in the Championship certainly do tackles that are frowned on in the Prem. Apart from Anthony Taylor we've had some refs that do allow a bit too... Their is a difference and you know it!

That's not quite right--it does matter, just not the way some players think it does. Touching the ball, of course, is not a get out of jail free card. And it never turns a reckless (or EF) play into nothing. But, for example, a slide tackle that clears the ball and then has some contact is likely not a foul, whereas the same slide that doesn't get the ball would likely be a careless tackle or a tripping foul.

In other words, too many players (especially defenders!) think about it backwards--getting the ball is not determinative that there was not a foul, but failing to get the ball likely means there was a foul.
You are right. I should have been more specific, players think they can slightly nick the ball and are then justified to completely take the player out with no repercussions.

How on Earth has a FIFA referee not even given a free kick for that … ?!
From the clip it looks like it's his second ever game and he's found a FIFA badge laying around. He obviously doesn't do himself justice in the clip and he has earned his way to FIFA but his body language doesn't look like an experienced referee at all.

Players in the Championship certainly do tackles that are frowned on in the Prem. Apart from Anthony Taylor we've had some refs that do allow a bit too... Their is a difference and you know it!

Not in my experience, I've seen just as many SFP cards in the Championship as in the PL, and probably even more at L1 and L2.

From the clip it looks like it's his second ever game and he's found a FIFA badge laying around. He obviously doesn't do himself justice in the clip and he has earned his way to FIFA but his body language doesn't look like an experienced referee at all.
Did he get decent Club marks in his first game??

Not in my experience, I've seen just as many SFP cards in the Championship as in the PL, and probably even more at L1 and L2.
That’s where stats can be skewed, there are more tackles of filth out of the Prem, just because card levels are similar it can mean that more are allowed but there are more of them. On the whole Prem teams are better behaved and SFP is rare..

he got his FIFA badge in December, as a third Cat Fifa, so certainly a bit fresh but any more decisions like that and he wont go much further! Lucky for him he messed up there on a national league game in his country, and not a UEFA U21 or so on...
Appalling not to see the foul, but, if there is a development point for anyone, its, the same as most times when these things are missed....too central looking down barrel of gun at it, with zero angle. So, of course its going to look different to him to how it really was real time.... get angles folks, does not have to be that close a distance, but, get an angle !!

Reactions: JH
Rabbit in headlight decision (or lack of), all the gear but no idea!!! Bet he had a nice watch though and matching socks!!! :poop:

Rabbit in headlight decision (or lack of), all the gear but no idea!!! Bet he had a nice watch though and matching socks!!! :poop:

The gear would be issued to him and he would be duty bound to wear it. Its not his gear which caused the issue here, its forgoing the basic principles of positioning, who knows, maybe because he recent got his FIFA badge he (like so many) can scrap the positioning that served them well enough to get them to that level and totally just do their own thing now...

He saw it, but didn't see the nastiness in it..... turns away.... Learning point here,,,,, don't let these slide or the next one will be a retaliation one!!! Then your fun starts!!!

How on Earth has a FIFA referee not even given a free kick for that … ?!
How on earth has he not sent him off? He was looking right at it from 8 yards. If you have any doubt (or spaced out at the time, or still thinking about the previous challenge), once you see the knee it's your queue to talk to your assistants and get some help from them to come to the right decision.

1551141593306.png

maintain it looks different down barrel of gun to side on........
If this was in response to my post, I don't disagree with you. Your post is advice on how not to miss a foul. Mine is about how to recover after you miss one and its obvious you have. No matter how good you are you will end up missing some and not always due to angle (better ones miss fewer).

Back