A&H

Burnley vs. Chelsea

Southend-ref

Southend United Supporter
Level 6 Referee
The Diego Costa yellow card for simulation.

For me, it wasn't a dive, but it wasn't a penalty because he seemed to trip over the ball and land on Heaton.

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
I've seen 1 replay, and for me it's a dive and a yellow. What beggars belief is why did he do it? Even if there was minimal contact there wasn't enough to go to ground. The keepers on his ass, finish it off!!

Never a penalty. He was going down well before the keeper made contact with him; not quite a dive, but certainly not a penalty.

I thought he got the decision right on both counts. No penalty and yellow for simulation. Costa left his trailing leg to establish contact with Tom Heaton. As usual Gary Neville is supporting the player, somethings's never change.

Costa was looking for it - he saw the keeper and took the opportunity to dive over him. Certainly was contact from the keeper though who's challenge was dumb.

In going to sit on the fence on this one. It's a grey area situation and could be used as an example of a clear penalty or clear simulation, in my humble opinion. :D

I thought it was a stone wall penalty and i'm a Burnley fan.........................Oh wait! :rolleyes::p

I thought he got the decision right on both counts. No penalty and yellow for simulation. Costa left his trailing leg to establish contact with Tom Heaton. As usual Gary Neville is supporting the player, somethings's never change.

Slowed down, it shows how 'clever' some players can appear to be - trailing the second leg, toes down, close to the floor, waiting for the contact they could perhaps have avoided - I agree with Reg

Last edited:
There was contact - could you even argue that as Costa was looking for it, it was in effect him who kicked Heaton?

:p Stone Wall Penalty... And that's NOTHING to do with the fact I'm a Chelsea fan. Costa was lucky not to be seriously injured by that sheer violence. RC for heaton too should have been on the cards.

It's nice and smooth now from all my previous occasions sitting on it.... :D

Back