A&H

Burnley v Newcastle

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Anyone giving a penalty against Tarkowski for his high boot on the Newcastle player?
For me, don't care he got the ball first. He got it a split second before, could the Newcastle player have ducked out to avoid major injury?
It is dangerous play for me, which I know is technically indirect as per wording in the laws of the game, but I'd be going for tackles/challenges and going at least reckless if not SFP..

EysQTMXW8AAbpM_.jpg

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Anyone giving a penalty against Tarkowski for his high boot on the Newcastle player?
For me, don't care he got the ball first. He got it a split second before, could the Newcastle player have ducked out to avoid major injury?
It is dangerous play for me, which I know is technically indirect as per wording in the laws of the game, but I'd be going for tackles/challenges and going at least reckless if not SFP..

View attachment 4889

If an offence involves contact then a dfk is awarded.
PIADM requires no contact so you would be looking at the list of DFK offences for this one.

I hate these. I can go either way with it.
If the attacker doesn't lob his head in there no one bats an eyelid.
The attacker almost wins a penalty through sheer bravery/stupidity (delete as appropriate) as the defender is clearly going to kick that ball.

Yes the boot is very high, but what do we expect the defender to do? Similarly, does the attacker have a right to just chuck himself at it without fear of being kicked?

Would support a pen, would support no pen.

Last edited:
Amazed that Taylor wasn't asked to go to the monitor and review it, clear penalty for me and arguably a yellow card too.

Breathtaking
Forget the whole careless/reckless/dangerous palaver. He won the ball Ref!!! Nuf said

Last edited:
Similarly, does the attacker have a right to just chuck himself at it without fear of being kicked?

Yes, I think they do. we have SFP/PIADM for a reason and I feel a player should be able to try and head a ball at head height without risk of taking a boot to the face. The defender will/should have the awareness to know what’s around them

In the absence of VAR, I don't think this would be that much of a talking point (unless Longstaff was seriously hurt... yes I know we shouldn't really take that into account, but so be it). It's understandably difficult for AT to give it in real-time
However, once it goes to VAR, it balloons into a massive controversy because the video evidence is damning
So VAR makes this very controversial and the outcome makes a mockery of the rules. The players are always right... 'he got the ball ref'. It's a joke

Thankfully, Murphy and ASM saved the farcical system from an error which could've been unthinkably expensive (and VAR is all about money)
Longstaff was stupid for not flapping around on the ground like a fish in a bucket. That's the game. That's why a top team would've got the spot kick

Watching it in real time, my immediate thought is what is the defending player supposed to do to get the ball?

but also watching the replay it is nasty contact and surprised it wasn’t given.

played a charity game a few years ago and I was raked down the stomach with studs, bruised for days but referee in the game said it was natural movement for the defender. I’m not sure what relevance this has but i wanted to tell my story

Watching it in real time, my immediate thought is what is the defending player supposed to do to get the ball?
if the defending player cannot get the ball without doing so carelessly or recklessly, he either fouls or lets it go. “It was the only way to get there” is absolutely not a defense. I don’t think anyone would have any doubts at all this was a foul at midfield. The concept that a foul in the PA is the same as a foul anywhere has gone the way of the dinosaurs.

but also watching the replay it is nasty contact and surprised it wasn’t given.

played a charity game a few years ago and I was raked down the stomach with studs, bruised for days but referee in the game said it was natural movement for the defender. I’m not sure what relevance this has but i wanted to tell my story
Head the ball ;)

if the defending player cannot get the ball without doing so carelessly or recklessly, he either fouls or lets it go. “It was the only way to get there” is absolutely not a defense.
Yes! It really annoys me when pundits say this. I can still remember the arguments before the DOGSO law came in and it was exactly the same - "what's the defender meant to do when the attacker is one on one with the keeper?!". We wouldn't accept that now and we should be mindful of the same argument in other situations too.

Yes, I think they do. we have SFP/PIADM for a reason and I feel a player should be able to try and head a ball at head height without risk of taking a boot to the face. The defender will/should have the awareness to know what’s around them
But is it not the defender’s ball? Even as a Newcastle fan - defenders can’t be expected to not go for a ball in case someone tries to head it.

The obvious answer is "Would Taylor have given a DFK for that had it been in the centre circle?".

Having only watched it once, there appears to be contact and so it should have been a penalty.

The PIADM text in the LOTG Law 12 states "whilst trying to play the ball". That rules the possibility of "dangerous play" out for me since Tarkowski actually played the ball.

The Premier League VAR protocol seems to be making it up as it goes along sometimes ...

The obvious answer is "Would Taylor have given a DFK for that had it been in the centre circle?".

Having only watched it once, there appears to be contact and so it should have been a penalty.

The PIADM text in the LOTG Law 12 states "whilst trying to play the ball". That rules the possibility of "dangerous play" out for me since Tarkowski actually played the ball.

The Premier League VAR protocol seems to be making it up as it goes along sometimes ...
Thats ironic.
There was an exact same incident in the same game, near half way line and a foul was given, later in the game.

But is it not the defender’s ball? Even as a Newcastle fan - defenders can’t be expected to not go for a ball in case someone tries to head it.
if you’re kicking someone in the head in the process of winning the ball, I would argue that it wasn’t categorically his ball

Back