A&H

Booking for Dissent

Do you book for dissent at U11 and U12?

• Total voters

MKAhmad

Level 6 Referee
At what point do you caution for dissent at youth level? I referee u12 and U11 at the moment both being competitive (have to report score and discipline) and let most things go. But I have have had some Lippy kids recently. So at what point do I clamp down and start dishing out cards?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
If you have lippy kids, manage them accordingly, in line with your tolerance level. I would recommend the use of the stepped approach.

If the player is guilty of consistently providing 'low level' dissent - go through the steps. A quiet word, a public word, a public word with the captain and then a caution. Managing the player in this way, and communicating this to all stakeholders (i.e. last chance, cut the grass, no more), allows you to easily sell a caution.

Skips stages as and when you see fit. If a player has clearly shown dissent (clapped at your decision, thrown a ball in frustration), we're going straight to the yellow. If a player has come to crossing the line, something along the lines of "speak to me like that again, and you'll be receiving a caution. That's your only and final warning" nice and loudly so everyone, including management, can hear, again sets you up nicely for selling a caution.

NB: Piece of advice, there is no such thing as a booking in football. We 'caution' players.

Agree with all the above, except at that age I think it'd be more appropriate to use the manager than the captain as part of the stepped approach. They're far more likely to be able to exercise the control you need than someone who is probably only the skipper because they're the best player on the team.

This Saturday I blew up for dissent directed towards me from an U12. I was loud and clear and told him it wasn't acceptable, and this was his only warning. Not a peep after that. at U12 manage unless it is ofinabus .At 12 a dressing down always works.

Agree with all the above, except at that age I think it'd be more appropriate to use the manager than the captain as part of the stepped approach. They're far more likely to be able to exercise the control you need than someone who is probably only the skipper because they're the best player on the team.

Very valid point UKColt. I have three points to consider:

1. At this age, players should start to understand/learn that referee's will attempt to use the captain to assist them.
2. Using managers is difficult logistically speaking. Whilst captains are often close by on the field of play, management are often in a fixed position. How would you suggest using the manager here?
3. If you invite management into a conversation, you are opening yourself up to dissent. With a captain, you can take disciplinary action and/or manage accordingly. With a manager, you have limited ammunition - you can warn them, and if unheeded, dismiss them. Something which we should try and avoid at all costs.

I agree that using managers to your advantage is key, which is why when we complete the stepped approach, we do all we can to ensure that management know what we are doing (body language and the volume of voice). By us talking to a captain and offending player (who has been managed via the stepped approach so is on everyone's radar accordingly) together, and then cutting the grass, everyone knows that they are on their last chance. It's up to management to decide whether they want to get involved, by substituting them accordingly for example.

If anything, I'm harder on them that age when it comes to dissent. They wouldn't expect to get away with backchat to their teachers or parents, so why is a referee any different? In a way, we're teaching these kids to play the game, so we should act responsible and deal with dissent accordingly.

For me dissent is a gut instinct thing...if you hear something you don't like once, have a chat, after that, book! Job done...if it continues send 'em! I have a very simple rule that I tell every player before every game, I'm at the game because I love football, I'm not there to be sworn at or abused, if you do it'll be cards, nine times out of ten it does the trick!

Back