A&H

Bobby Madley opens up on why he left

Funny, I had the exact same thought when we were discussing this at work today. I can't remember who's it was, but I remember fairly recently there was a bit of fuss over a group of referees going on a stag do during the week and then turning up to officiate at the weekend.

So there obviously are top-flight referees who count other top-flight referees among their close friends. And it's probably fair to say that other SG1/SG2 referees are the people who stand to benefit most from Madley being sacked: the former would suddenly find themselves one step closer to an FA cup final and/or a FIFA badge, and the latter group would know that an SG1 referee being fired or demoted would open up a space that they might be chosen to fill.

And as @RobOda suggests, there are certainly some opportunists out there. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this had something to do with it.

The Referee Store
in have read both poll and halseys, book it is fair to say i dont think, they will have exchanged cristmas cards,
and i can asssure you there are people you might see as friends and colleague. who are only too happy
to s....t you, oops i mean throw you under the bus

I've read Howard Webb's book and he similarly describes rival groupings. I can understand the competitive nature as they give the more prestigious games to the best referees but it does seem like there's a disappointing amount of commaradarie at the top level.

Unlike the 'goalkeeper's union' it seems like the man in the middle can't even get a break with his fellow referees. :eek:

Thought it was pretty clear from the blog who the leaker was.(Not a ref peer)

I sent it as a private text to somebody who I trusted, somebody who had been a huge part of my life for the previous 10 years and who I was on reasonable terms with. Somebody who understood the context of previous sports day comments and was aware of the fat shaming I had received.

A few weeks later I had an argument with the same person regarding a family issue at which point I was threatened for the first time regarding this video with the comment “what would your boss say if it ended up on his desk”.

How does this sit with the fact that David Elleray only had to do an equality education when he made offensive racist comments ("have you been down a coal mine")

Hardly fair treatment

How does this sit with the fact that David Elleray only had to do an equality education when he made offensive racist comments ("have you been down a coal mine")

Hardly fair treatment
Politics. The guy on the track to the top gets away with it until those making decisions can't afford to look away. The guy who keeps getting ignored for the best games is never getting that same cover - and for the same reason.

Also, David Elleray presumably isn't employed by PGMO so different organisations.

Bobby Madley said in FF interview that he has worked in a bar in Norway since and his children had to move house as he could no longer afford the mortgage on it.

Back