A&H

Bobby Madley opens up on why he left

RustyRef

Administrator
Staff member
Bobby Madley has posted a blog post opening up about why he left the Premier League suddenly and the impact it had on him. I think it is a great post told with a lot of honesty and self criticism, and above all shows the potentially massive dangers of social media in the modern world. Obviously he shouldn't have done what he did, as he acknowledges, but others have got away with much worse without having their career ripped away.

I've met Bobby a couple of times and he really comes across as a nice guy, and is now spending his time helping out young referees in Norway.

https://therefereesword.blogspot.com/2019/12/time-to-move-on.html?m=1

The Referee Store
It does seem a very heavy handed approach for a first offence, especially if he owned up when asked rather than trying to hide it.

But, if it had gone public and it was discovered PGMOL knew and did nothing about it it would have been much worse for him and PGMOL.

However, if I were a cynical man I might wonder how popular he was within the SG1 gang and PGMOL as a whole and whether they just pounced on the first chance they got to get rid of him.

I remember a thing where Graham Poll got drunk at a training this in Aldershot, and someone sent video or pictures to the papers. And the rumour was that it was Mark Halsey.

Professional refereeing sounds like Avery cut throat occupation.

The SG1 bunch sound like a gang of schoolgirls. Remember reading about the cliques in Polls book. Your face fitting should be irrelevant, as you’re pretty much by yourself when it matters (or atleast a small team of 4).

Probably a contributing factor to the fact refereeing at the top level in England is a bit of a shambles at the moment.

Mark Halsey is an arsehole. If the pair of you were running from angry wolves, he’d use the last bullet to shoot YOU in the leg.

Very happy for Bobby that has felt able to come out about this. Met him this year and he was very open and honest and is an amazing role model for young referees.

His advice to young referees was crystal clear. Look at his case and the AR that missed out on a final (pic wearing a Barca top IIRC?) and be very careful about social media, public and private.

This also applies to the rest of us. We have no idea about the long term effects of our social footprints, how big tech will use our data in future, how things like politics on Facebook and voice devices in the home will be exploited next. Adults can at least try to make informed decisions about how to use this stuff but kids and other vulnerable groups need help and a degree of protection.

Reactions: one
Good blog to read. Not taking sides. There is always two sides to every story.

My take away, think before you put anything on the internet, even in private chats. Trust noone.

Mark Halsey is an arsehole. If the pair of you were running from angry wolves, he’d use the last bullet to shoot YOU in the leg.
I think he felt the same way about some of his colleagues.

If I recall correctly he has or had a big chip on his shoulder because he never got an FA Cup final.

Good blog to read. Not taking sides. There is always two sides to every story.

My take away, think before you put anything on the internet, even in private chats. Trust noone.

There have been a few people in my old regiment that came unstuck due to posts on social media, and a few more people from an ex-forces forum where, posts were traced back to them.

I generally go by the rule that if I wouldn't want it to be on the 9 O'Clock news then I don't post it on the internet.

I do feel for Bobby having read that.
It's a huge cautionary tale for us all.

His treatment reflects the wider way referees are treated though. We are expected to be completely neutral and above reproach. Football players and managers can say and do some horrible things but by and large get away with it as their fan base will forgive many things for a winner. We are judged on different criteria and there are few people in our corner to support us.

Glen Hoddle made a comeback after, let's say, expressing a controvertial religious, opinion about disabled people!!!

Any mistake involving any sort of prejudice whatsoever, is very likely to cost anyone their job in this snide and hypocritical society (if it is proven to an employer). A man's life and reputation can be ruined in an utterly disproportionate manner if it involves one of these hot potatoes
That said, there's something a bit disingenuous about the tale. Plenty of picture painting, but there are some holes. What drove a trusted friend to shop BM in such a extreme way? The grudge must have been very deep, or BM was a very poor judge of character

I know of two people who have lost high paid city of London jobs because of something they did on social media, one on Facebook and one a WhatsApp message that he thought was private. In both cases people they knew and thought they trusted sent copies of the post / message to their employers and they were fired even what they did had absolutely nothing to do with work.

You have to be extremely careful these days with any kind of social media activity.

Didn't the Pope slap a women the other day?...... Just imagine if a politician or sports star did that!!!

shafted big time by a person he thought of as a friend, i have personal experience of this, social media
is a very dark place for young referees, you never know who is reading comments waiting to stab you in the back.
i know i have bee there

I remember a thing where Graham Poll got drunk at a training this in Aldershot, and someone sent video or pictures to the papers. And the rumour was that it was Mark Halsey.

Funny that. Halsey's the one calling Madley fat in the papers as well.

I've read Poll's book, he makes it sound like everyone has their own political group and some are more than happy to stab you in the back and throw you under the bus ASAP if it benefits them.

I'm sure we've all seen it at grassroots; in the changing rooms working as a team of three, you're bound to run into people who throw last week's ref under the bus, or who calls next week's ref unmentionable words and how crap they are etc. If it happens at the bottom, it's happening at the top. Some people hide it better than others.

I really hate that mindset and behaviour though, I try to steer clear of the people who I know are like that though.

As for Madley's circumstances;

Firstly, he shouldn't have done it, but I think the issue was a relatively minor one at the end of the day in the circumstances. Secondly, whoever his 'mate' was, is an arse for ruining his career in England over that, absolutely no need for it. I think PGMOL could have dealt with it internally, but I bet if they had the reaction would be less considerate as we're seeing now.

Back