A&H

Biting the Bullet (Hello)

Doug

From some of my earlier posts , you may have seen me talking about getting a course for myself, well I only went and did it after deciding to leave the comfort zone of mini soccer and last minute 9 a side covering...
So I have a game on Saturday, veterans, oh dear god why have I done !!!!

The Referee Store
Thank you , am dreading it , but will fake it til I make it, I hope ! Tho the appointments secretary is a friend of mine and said that will be ok,

Thank you , am dreading it , but will fake it til I make it, I hope ! Tho the appointments secretary is a friend of mine and said that will be ok,
Good luck! Fake it till you make it is certainly something all new refs go through, just make sure you're confident in your understanding of the laws and try to look as confident as you can!

I’m new to it myself all I can say is from my experience is the difference you will find in yourself from your first game to your sixth or seventh will be huge, honestly and that’s coming from someone that never refereed or blew a whistle in his life, I only had half a clue about the laws of the game from what I tried to take in the two days previous on the course.

So you can’t be any worse prepared than I was, my advice to you is if you make a mistake on the field or if someone disagrees with you strongly and verbally do not keep thinking about it after play has re started do not replay in your head what has just happened just try your hardest to forget it & shut it out of your head, the game will have moved on so you need to Aswell.

Your first 1-6 games will be gold dust you will be amazed how your confidence will grow in those first 6 games, you may get sum iffy moments some head in hands moments along the way but trust me after those first handful of games you’ll be flying.

Good luck and good on you for doing it.

So you can’t be any worse prepared than I was, my advice to you is if you make a mistake on the field or if someone disagrees with you strongly and verbally do not keep thinking about it after play has re started do not replay in your head what has just happened just try your hardest to forget it & shut it out of your head, the game will have moved on so you need to Aswell.

Agree in the short term scenario of a game, but post-match I think it's important to go through any errors/mistakes and figure out what you can do to stop them reoccurring. Shut them out for the match, but don't shut them out forever.

Thanks all , first game officially Saturday a division 4 vets game !! Off to do more studying and working on positioning !!!

Strong whistle strong signals, be polite but firm when talking to players and don't forget your two friends they are great for match control. Good luck.

Don’t get into debates and conversations regarding your decisions, a quick exchange then move on back to the game, biggest mistake I made and still occasionally do it now, end up having a debate with a player regarding my decision the ball is now up the other end of the pitch and we’re still at it, not good.

Don’t dwell on something even if you think you’ve made a mistake, you haven’t got time to sit and ponder it, The game has moved on you need to aswell.

Good luck I’m sure you’ll learn so much in that first game to take into your next.

Let us all know how it went.

as i tell the newly qualified referees i advise
1 remember to start both watches, its amasing the refs who forget lol
2as you have already been advised, strong arm signals
3 practise using your whistle before your game
4 we dont give you nice red/yellow cards to keep nice and dry in your pocket lol
5 check and double check you have everything you need in your pockets
6 good luck it does get easier honest

Never stop faking it! Bullsh1t always baffles brains, just ask Minty!

Well heres a thing 10 to nine Friday evening , get a phone call , game is off waterlogged pitch ! Mentally prepared myself washed boots and everything , although it can't be helped I know that , going to try for a game next Saturday as the weather should be considerably better

Bit of a pain that, I only had two days to ponder my first game in a way it probably did me a favour not having all week to think about it.

Youll be fine, get a few games under your belt & you’ll start to enjoy it.

I survived ! First 20 minutes I was bloody awful , missed a couple of scrapes after ball had gone , positioning a bit over the show , but at that level I think some of the recommended positioning isn't the best, and gave 2 controversial penalties bit of verbal but spoke to one and said anymore and it means cards , also a couple of players actually pulled their own players for having a go which was bloody good , drinks break after twenty minutes was appreciated.

I survived ! First 20 minutes I was bloody awful , missed a couple of scrapes after ball had gone , positioning a bit over the show , but at that level I think some of the recommended positioning isn't the best, and gave 2 controversial penalties bit of verbal but spoke to one and said anymore and it means cards , also a couple of players actually pulled their own players for having a go which was bloody good , drinks break after twenty minutes was appreciated.
Not controversial on your part, simple, was it or wasn't it, it doesn't matter what they think!! Chin up.... It gets easier with experience!!!

missed a couple of scrapes after ball had gone , positioning a bit over the show , but at that level I think some of the recommended positioning isn't the best

One of the early bits of advice I got from assessors and players/managers is to linger you gaze where the action has taken place rather than constantly following the ball. This way you'll catch the late clashes etc. With experience you'll judge when to linger longer and when to move on swiftly though.

Positioning will always be iffy at the lower leagues without AR's in my view. I know some people advocate for staying on the diagonal but I think you end up being more mobile anyway without AR's in order to keep in distance for foul detection.

Good luck with the rest of the season. :)

Back