A&H

Big Mac

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
What do we make of a player quietly offering to buy an opponent a Big Mac (after the game) following a coming together? I'd no idea what was meant until i clocked the seemingly unruffled beneficiary to be carrying a few pounds overweight
For what it's worth, I had visions of an appeal against offinabus being upheld as some kinda misunderstanding, so I cautioned the culprit instead. The question is worth raising, because this sorta nonsense is quite commonplace and I lean towards clemency when the acerbity is on the tame side. Many of us will have been told to f'off without dismissing (depending on the delivery), so such incidents have 50 shades of grey

The Referee Store
Que?

Do I read right that you carded for offering an opponent a big mac?

If no what was it for, if yes.......bejesus another traffic warden!

For what it's worth, I've never been told to F"%= off within earshot without dismissing the offender.....never, ever.......

Que?

Do I read right that you carded for offering an opponent a big mac?

If no what was it for, if yes.......bejesus another traffic warden!

For what it's worth, I've never been told to F"%= off within earshot without dismissing the offender.....never, ever.......
I don't like this sort of thing, especially from a player who was formally warned earlier in the half. I cautioned C3
Teasing for obesity isn't that far removed from any other common prejudice. I've learned the consequences of deaf ears a number of times
However, I've cautioned for f'off in my direction because I wasn't offended by the artistic impression with which it was delivered
BTW. my card count has always been exceptionally low, so your 'traffic warden' jibe is very inaccurate overall

Last edited:
I don't like this sort of thing, especially from a player who was formally warned earlier in the half. I cautioned C3
Teasing for obesity isn't that far removed from any other common prejudice. I've learned the consequences of deaf ears a number of times
However, I've cautioned for f'off in my direction because I wasn't offended by the artistic impression with which it was delivered
BTW. my card count has always been exceptionally low, so your 'traffic warden' jibe is very inaccurate overall
Sorry Big Cat, the traffic warden jibe may not be deserved but carding because he offered to buy his opponent a big mac....really?
I think, you're overthinking this...........

Sorry Big Cat, the traffic warden jibe may not be deserved but carding because he offered to buy his opponent a big mac....really?
I think, you're overthinking this...........
Fair enough.... Posted it to bounce off others
I can sort of see @Big Cat 's point.

@Mintyref what would you do if a player offered to buy his black opponent a banana?
The comparison doesn't really work though. Fat Shaming is fairly trivial compared to racism or homophobia. Until the media decide otherwise

Context is everything. YHTBT etc. Difficult balancing act between not writing tickets left, right & centre; and the perpetrator getting lamped or taken out a few moments later

He'd be cheeseburgered off with a card for that, not a happy meal bunny I'd guess! A whopper bollicking maybe!

Caution the player if he has actually said something wrong; trying to read some hidden deeper meaning into what they've said is asking for trouble. Maybe do have a word with the kind gentleman who is buying big macs, though; let him know you know what he is up to and he is walking a thin line. Or tell him if he is buying big macs, you'll have one as well.

Difficult balancing act between not writing tickets left, right & centre;

You really do want that "Traffic Warden" label don't you? ;):D

(Or did you deliberately type that for sardonic/irony purposes?).

What do we make of a player quietly offering to buy an opponent a Big Mac (after the game) following a coming together? I'd no idea what was meant until i clocked the seemingly unruffled beneficiary to be carrying a few pounds overweight
For what it's worth, I had visions of an appeal against offinabus being upheld as some kinda misunderstanding, so I cautioned the culprit instead.

Said quietly and/or under his breath so that only I and the intended recipient heard it, I'd be just having a word or letting it slide.

Said loudly/publicly (which I'd guess in most cases would illicit some sort of reaction) I'd be dishing out the yellow for USB. :)

Context.

You have to address it. In a friendly game, first such moment, have a word so everyone gets the warning.

In a heated game, attempting to antagonise, previous, warned... easy YC.

Quip that he's still running faster than the guy offering a burger, so he should pipe down?

I dunno, I don't think you're wrong to issue the caution as it is down to you to judge the context and situation, but I think this is something I wouldn't have paid much heed to normally.

Back