A&H

Become a referee in age of 32.

1988ref

I want to sign up for a course, Just after New Year. But I'm thinking its not too late?

How old are uaually candidates for a referees?

Is a chance to get promoted before my 40s, to be a referee on a level 3 or its too late?

The Referee Store
I want to sign up for a course, Just after New Year. But I'm thinking its not too late?

Is a chance to get promoted before my 40s, to be a referee on a level 3 or its too late?
It's not too late. Never too late.
But you'll need to learn fast and be committed.
If everything went perfectly you could in theory be a level 3 by the time you are 37 (1 season lev 7. 1 season 7-5. 1 season 5-4. 1 season 4-3.)
Level 4 is the most achievable target to start with. Once you get to level 4 you are ranked against your peers and along with commitment, dedication, you also need a touch of luck along the way.
Getting the right games, the right observers. Etc. Etc.
That said you might be the greatest ref that ever walked the earth and you'll breeze it.

Definitely not too old, a lot of people take up refereeing in their 30s. How far you go up the ladder depends on your ability and commitment but must important thing is that you enjoy it and find a level you are happy with.

Easily doable.

Most "grass roots" referees don't start until they've given up playing themselves ie. mid to late 30s. :)

Even the promotion prospects don't have to be a factor if you don't want them to be.

I started at 42, here I am, over 550 games & 18 years later still enjoying myself as a humble level 7.

Neil Swarbrick only started at 29, but still went onto spend six years in the Football League and 7 years as a Premier League referee, so it can be done.

Thanks for replies.

Its not like im thinking about "big career", but knowledge that is not too late, helps me with a motivation to start Training.

Could you write down what is going to happen after "Basic course"? Or any link?

On my local county website there is no information at all...

Thank you.

Neil Swarbrick only started at 29, but still went onto spend six years in the Football League and 7 years as a Premier League referee, so it can be done.
I quite liked him as a referee (he dared to show a modicum of personality), but I've gone off him recently for some reason!
A flawless performance by him when NUFC beat Luton in the FA Cup a few years back (even though his AR wrongly chalked off a goal for Luton)

After finishing the basic course ( fully qualified and trainee level 9 games usually 5). Your tutor on your course should register you through the county and give you access to the WGS and then give you the contact for your ref secretary for your local league and you’ll normally need to fill out an application form and you should give your refs appointments officer your availability and he will hopefully appoint you some games and you can start getting some experience as you go along and improve with the more experience you get, it’s often best to run a few lines first just to get a feel for it and learn from the experienced refs you’re running the line for

you need to ref 20 adults matches before you are allowed to apply for promotion. You can choose how much experience after that 20 games you want before going for promotion.

Thanks for replies.

Its not like im thinking about "big career", but knowledge that is not too late, helps me with a motivation to start Training.

Could you write down what is going to happen after "Basic course"? Or any link?

On my local county website there is no information at all...

Thank you.
All courses are suspended currently, until lockdown allows a return.
BrumRef has laid out the system used in most counties in England, each doing it a slightly different way.
Don't worry if you are older than the rest of the course when you do get on one - we ran four courses in my county at half-term, and only four learners out of 58 were aged over 16.
If your county has a backlog, as many do currently, it may be that after lockdown and Christmas you will have to wait for a course. The FA are finalising a new course structure currently, which comes into play next March and is mainly Web-based learning with a day and evening of practical to follow.
Whichever you do, the County FA will guide you on how to get appointments.
Enjoy!

On my course there was no physical exam and I doubt there is to be honest. Part of the standard course was practical - reffing scenarios like how to handle mass conf etc, card procedure and how to run the line. Nothing you need to worry about you’ll pick it up on the course and IRL watching an experienced ref - card procedures different up the levels like we have to call to neutral position get name tell them what they’re being booked/sent off for then show the card whereas at higher levels you can just take player #. You should also be taught how to create, write and submit WGS reports and misconduct

I quite liked him as a referee (he dared to show a modicum of personality), but I've gone off him recently for some reason!
A flawless performance by him when NUFC beat Luton in the FA Cup a few years back (even though his AR wrongly chalked off a goal for Luton)
Head of technology. VAR. I can see why you have gone off him ;)

Started when I was 67 still going strong !! Level 7 but that’s enough for me two youth games every Sunday maybe one on a Saturday also
Go for it enjoy

I started at 39. Wish I had started 20 years earlier but I wasn’t to know. Not the best marketed profession.

I am in a different country. But I’ve got fit, done 5-600 more games, whistled highest level girls, flagged highest boys and womens, made it this country’s 4 tier mens, whistled premier league womens futsal yesterday... and earned a considerable sum doing so.

It’s not easy. And you might not be going to the FA Cup final but do it! TBH you might not like it but give it a crack and especially run the line as much as possible to learn fast!

Started when I was 67 still going strong !! Level 7 but that’s enough for me two youth games every Sunday maybe one on a Saturday also
Go for it enjoy
As I said above I started when I was 42, reached the big 60 last week, so your post has definitely made me feel better about THAT! :p

Thanks for replies.

Few questions : after Basic course can i start be a referee on a lowest level, without any fitness exam? I fought thats a most Important thing at a begging...

What Time a games uaually start at a lowest level? How much time before (and after) match i should show up? Many games during mod-week or most od them are on weekend?

I need organise childacare before spring, that is why i am asking.

Thanks for replies.

Few questions : after Basic course can i start be a referee on a lowest level, without any fitness exam? I fought thats a most Important thing at a begging...

What Time a games uaually start at a lowest level? How much time before (and after) match i should show up? Many games during mod-week or most od them are on weekend?

I need organise childacare before spring, that is why i am asking.
Assuming you're in England
i. Do the course
ii. Referee 5 games (9-a-side kids or 11-a-side any age... games must have offside rule)
iii. Go back to the 'Callback evening and pass the LOTG test (formality for most people)
iv. You then become Level 7 and can referee all youth football and County adult games

No fitness test, usually until you attempt 5 to 4 promotion
At some point, some leagues may require a fitness test but you won't need to worry about that for the first year or two
Kids games KO at all sorts of times (Sat & Sun). Adult games 2pm or 3pm on Saturdays, depending upon time of year. 10 or 10:30am Sunday League
I think most Womens football is on Sunday afternoons
Some leagues will have midweek evening games, especially towards the start/end of the season, when light permits

Can't disagree with BigCat (As usual) but just to add if you wanted to do some decent games as a level 7 AR at some stage - then the Isthmian U18s and U23s are midweek evening games.

Back