A&H

BBC Article on Football/Racism

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
Not wishing to stir up a debate that might add to any problem, but just interested to know if racism (or any other prejudice like homophobia) in football is as common as reported
In my fledgling 170 or so games, I've not encountered a single incident. Even the Home Counties (in which I live) have some rough areas, so I'm sceptical that reporting might be misleading. On the other hand, incidents may indeed be commonplace
Even as a spectator, I've not detected any racism at games for some time, although other forms of prejudice lag behind
All I'm interested in, is whether my experiences are fortunate and/or if your view of the world marries up with mine
It is a precarious subject, so hoping we don't all keep the mods on their game by going into meltdown. Just interested in whether my experience or the reporting is accurate (obviously, I'm not in a minority group, except for being a northerner, that will be a factor)

The Referee Store
Nothing like it was back in the day, it’s just reported more now so it highlighted more than it ever was. Everyone has a smart phone or social media so any idiocy is easily captured and recorded for prosperity. In all my games I can count on 2 fingers any racial stuff,

I've had one racist incident in 6 years of Refereeing. I was over by a stricken goalkeeper and it all kicked off in the centre circle. It was then alleged that a racist comment had sparked a mass brawl.

On the pitch, either as a ref or a player, I've never come across it. I think players know it's a taboo and a big fine and ban can follow.

In a football crowd I've not seen it either (heckling at players/ref talent - or lack thereof) but nothing racist.

Saying that I'm in Somerset which is probably low on racist incidents anyway.

Had 2 homophobic incidents. One report from a player and one blatant use of a homophobic slur akin to a bundle of sticks in 8 years.

Never heard or seen any at any of my games I've played, managed or refereed in... and I've been around a long while

Agree with all of the above. It happens, but increasingly rare. You wouldn't think it, if the BBC homepage is anything to go by on a daily basis. Like I inferred, prejudice against race seems less common in my experience. Homophobia lags behind (particularly from the spectator stands)

I've not seen or heard racism at my games, but I'm in the area of Wales that is very predominantly white. Having said that, it obviously has been gaining traction in Wales as we had instructions on dealing with racism at grassroots last season as it's happened in some games apparently.

I have been the victim of discriminatory comments personally last season, which earned the offender a very hefty fine and I think it was almost a four month ban.

I personally have only been aware of racist remarks at one of my games, it was a cup final I was 4th, and someone in the crowd behind me shouted some derogatory remarks about one of the opposition players. Caused a bit of a to do and resulted in the manager of the player who had been abused getting sent away etc. Not sure what else happened discipline wise.

My father in-law once had to call the police to a youth game he was refereeing which he said started with some racist remarks towards one of the players.

A trap we need to try and avoid is assuming that just because we don't see or hear it, and no one tells us is to assume that it doesn't happen.

A trap we need to try and avoid is assuming that just because we don't see or hear it, and no one tells us is to assume that it doesn't happen.

Absolutely. I come into contact with police statistics regarding racist, homophobic and disabilist incidents, and they are all on the rise in recent times. Even so, many people won't see that behaviour. Even worse, many people will not see some racist behaviour as being racist, became it is 'banter' in their day and age, etc.

If we get through many games of football without incident, that's great, but it doesn't mean the behaviour isn't happening, or that the number of incidents are 'trivial' enough to try and ignore the issue.

Most of you probably have never refereed a specific gay/bi men's team.
Manchester's team currently have THREE cases of matches with homophobic incidents with County!
I witnessed one as a spectator and it was absolutely disgusting.
Home team had managed to attract about 20 lowlifes to their sideline who proceeded to call their opponents "faggot, gay tw*t, nonce".
Ref Sec made a huge error in appointing a young ref to a well known bunch of chav thugs against a gay team.
Ref did very well considering but this game needed a 500+ game veteran ref to control and he'd still have had his work cut out!
I reckon I'd have ended up abandoning if I'd been in the middle (something I've only done once in 13 years)

Stay vigilant, these f*cking idiots are still out their sadly.

If you get a chance and you can access / download The Australian Dream it's a great watch about inexcusable national Sports adminstration bungle where racisem was ignored for three years until it forced one of its greatest off the sport. Casual racisem is all around us and you would see it if you pay enough attention. In sports or outside it. Hey I can see it around the current issue of Coronavirus almost everyday.

This is the trailor where a show host goes on national TV with his face painted black in 2017/ 2018 I think. If I am not mistaken he continued hosting the show after that incident.

Casual racisem is all around us and you would see it if you pay enough attention. In sports or outside it. Hey I can see it around the current issue of Coronavirus almost everyday.

Pray tell. :wide:

There was a local Bengal side here for a few years, and I had them a couple of times. Good bunch of lads. One week their opponents were making quiet comments about it "being a spicy game" or them trying to "curry favour with me" in a lads, banter nudge wink type of way towards me like I was in on their big racist joke as a fellow white 20-something bloke.

Didn't have the desired effect and I did what was necessary during and after the game.

That snidey bullshit was awful, and made me realise that they probably had to put up with it week in week out.

League refused their registration (edit: of the opponents) the following season.

Pray tell. :wide:
Why do I get the feeling an debate is brewing? :)

As I said it is casual rather than obvious but I have heard and read about blatant ones too. I live and commute to work around an area with a large Asian population. Most were born or living in Australia for a very long time. There are people (mostly amongst the older population) who avoid them and behave in a way as though they don't belong.

Believe it or not...

Three racist incidents this season, two locally, and one in which the referee was sanctioned for making a racist comment.

Really surprising to hear about this, especially the referee doing the offending.

As I said earlier, never had it happen in my games, but it has been on the rise apparently and this is the first time ever that I've seen confirmation of it happening in the local league and area.

Very disappointed personally.

Back