A&H

Bayern vs Frankfurt

JH

RefChat Addict
92nd/93rd minute of added 3, Frankfurt player swings to clear the ball and misses, catching a Bayern heel, goes to VAR, referee checks and it looks a nailed-on penalty. Gives the corner instead, Frankfurt clear and sprint down the other end to put it in an empty net.

Anyone else see the offence? Highlights will be up soon.

The Referee Store
I personally think that the onfield officials should play no part I. The VAR process. That ref was 90 mins into a cup final, he would have been feeling fatigued and has an emotional attachment to the game. It's the only area of VAR trials in England that is better than on the continent where seperate officials adjudicate VAR decisions in my humble opinion

Possibly they gave it as an advantage? Would be a weird choice but no idea otherwise
I have a feeling the referee, after having a look at it on review, thought possibly an error but not a clear one so i'm going to stay with my original decision.

I remember a thread on here discussing a similar incident. That is, as a player is about to shoot, another player puts his foot in the path of the shot and gets kicked. There were some forumites at the time of the opinion it is not a foul. This incident is not exactly the same but it could be viewed that way.

I don't think this was a clear mistake. In the absence of VAR, there'd have been no great controversy

Dive & YC for me for simulation, his other leg crumpled first!! Any other angles?? That Karma is a bitch!!! :devil:

Last edited:
I personally think that the onfield officials should play no part I. The VAR process. That ref was 90 mins into a cup final, he would have been feeling fatigued and has an emotional attachment to the game. It's the only area of VAR trials in England that is better than on the continent where seperate officials adjudicate VAR decisions in my humble opinion
I'm not sure if you're trying to say that in England the VAR's are making decisions on their own, without involving the referee but if so, that's not true. The IFAB's protocol for VAR's is applicable world-wide. As the IFAB puts it:
National FAs and competitions are only permitted to take part in experiments (or use VARs) with the permission of The IFAB. Permission will only be granted where The IFAB protocols will be used in full and The IFAB’s referee-VAR education and technical requirements have been fulfilled.

So the protocol used in England is the same as it is everywhere else and as it says, "The final decision will always be taken by the referee."

Back