A&H

Bass Ackwards

The Referee Store
Just out of general interest - is there any reason for the practice of ARs adopting the left back side? Is there any practical benefit?

Up to late 90's, the usual policy was to run right backs. FIFA always required to operate left backs, so the FA advice changed so referees did not have to change for FIFA. The other logic is that more referees are right handed, so for an offside, your right arm is away from blocking your view of players.

I know of one referee who used to run right backs first half and left backs second half on a regular basis at Supply and Contrib level.

I used to do that as well. I always said I could run each diagonal equally well {or badly, for the jokers out there!!!:clown:]

Changing diagonals give you the ability to put your AR is "on top of" a difficult winger/full back position.

Did a line last night. Great ref in the middle no issues there. Only odd thing is the ref had us assistants run the right back side of the pitch. First time i’ve had that and frankly found it very weird (held the flag in the wrong hand often). Players complained about it at the start of each half (he must get that every game!) I asked the ref why he does it and he said it’s just the way he runs his positioning - fair enough he’s the boss.

Anyone else do this when they are in the middle?

Done it a couple of times in 15 years - don't like it!

Back