A&H

Ball hitting referee

scouseref

Had an incident in yesterday's game that had me wondering about the new drop ball rule if it hits the ref. Red team take a corner, its partly headed away by yellows and the ball falls to red player 10 yards outside the area. He slices a shot that flies 15 yards wide, but misses me by inches, goal kick. Now, if the ball had hit me and stayed in play, would I have had to give an uncontested drop ball to the reds inside the area, giving a huge advantage to the reds given the ball was obviously going for a goal kick.

The Referee Store
Before you could consider a dropped ball (which inside the area would always go to the keeper) there are other conditions that have to be met. According to the law, it's only a dropped ball if, after the ball hits a match official and remains in play, one of the following three things happens:

• a team starts a promising attack or
  • the ball goes directly into the goal or
  • the team in possession of the ball changes

The ball just hitting the referee and staying in play is not enough to require a dropped ball.

@Peter Grove is correct with that snippet of law but I'd suggest that if the ball hits the referee in the penalty area and remains in play, one of those 3 outcomes is highly likely.
Assuming a shot and the referee is standing in the PA:
1. Ball goes to attacker - in the penalty area, it's very likely a promising attack is created. (I see nothing in the law that states to which team that promising attack should fall to).
2. Goes in the goal - possible outcome.
3. Goes to defender - change of possession.
The best advice is not to get caught inside the PA in these situations. Be wise to what might happen.

Back