A&H

Bad game

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
I confessed before on here that I am my own worst critic and I've come from the game today thinking that I didn't have a bad game, but was not near the standard I expect from myself.

First 10 minutes I already had 2 cautions.

First was for a foul tackle after about 6 minutes outside the box. It was not a DOGSO in my opinion and stuck with it. Though the offender disagreed with the challenge as they do and moaned that he was being carded.
2nd was for the opposing team a few minutes later claiming a handball on the halfway line by the touchline. I clearly shouted "no, move along". I turned and ran away to keep up with play. The player who originally shouted kept running behind me and shouting at me claiming handball. I told him twice to be quiet and get on with the game and he ignored and continued shouting at me telling me I'm not watching the game. So I stopped play and cautioned him for dissent. May sound harsh but in my opinion he ran a good 20-30 yards and kept shouting at me. I could have stopped play at next out and spoke with him and captain but I took the fact I'd already shouted 3 times, including the initial no, that I was not interested and he ignored me. This I feel, after the game, could have been managed better, but he did not moan at me once after that so maybe it helped him.
The 3rd was for exactly the same as the first, but opposing team. The attacking team vented it should have been red but again I felt the keeper was 100% beating the attacker to the ball despite the defenders late challenge. Reckless for me, yellow.
Finally, when at a time I felt the game slipping from my control, the keeper, at a corner, shouted as I've given a 3rd consecutive corner " ref, you need glasses". This was after his team mates argued 2 of the 3 corners should have been goal kicks and were still disagreeing. I took it as dissent. But apparently the keeper was only joking and is the teams comedian and meant nothing by it. For me, doesn't matter if he was joking, if I let it go I feel I would have lost all control.

I turned down a penalty appeal to the team losing 3-1 at the time, for the ball to go up the other end and in the goal. 4-1.
When replaying in my head, I got it wrong and it should have been a penalty. Initial thought was the attacker caught him, but replaying it in my mind the defender flicked his back foot up and as the attacker went to shoot he kicked him but the defender was not in any attempt playing the ball, he even had his back to it.

I missed a few pushes for being in poor positions. But this was down to the sun too. I couldn't see some stuff because I was looking directly at the sun, regardless of my positioning.

I've come away from this game a bit down from my performance and now wondering where it actually went wrong for me.

The Referee Store
The couple of dissent calls sound fine to me. I take you stopped the game and gave YC IDFK for the guy who wouldn’t stop harassing you on the run?

I think that and the GK YC are good cards, especially if it’s only your first few matches.

How did it feel to give those?

(Remember these two cards are clear, first has been warned, GK is easy dissent. So, I think this is very positive action you took)

It's not my first few. Its my 16th year.
Normally I ignore the moaning but couldn't ignore the fact he'd continued running that distance to moan at me.
And yes, indirect free kick from where he was moaning at me.

At the time I felt I done right and wouldn't change my mind.
There was one comment I let go with a chat with captain as he said it walking away and no one complained.

Other things got on my nerves which meant players kept having a go was things like "leave it", "its mine".
I said to players that its not anywhere in the laws and they argued it is and that I should have another look in the book.
Though I think if a player shouted it in the direction of the keeper and he left it I might give a free kick for unsporting behaviour. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
And the same player who moaned about not knowing the rules (erm, laws) asked if I'd given a goal kick and said no a free kick and he moved ball back to where he thought free kick was. So I shouted he could have it anywhere in the 6 yard box. He responded since when.
Clueless players.

It's not my first few. Its my 16th year.
Normally I ignore the moaning but couldn't ignore the fact he'd continued running that distance to moan at me.
And yes, indirect free kick from where he was moaning at me.

At the time I felt I done right and wouldn't change my mind.
There was one comment I let go with a chat with captain as he said it walking away and no one complained.

Other things got on my nerves which meant players kept having a go was things like "leave it", "its mine".
I said to players that its not anywhere in the laws and they argued it is and that I should have another look in the book.
Though I think if a player shouted it in the direction of the keeper and he left it I might give a free kick for unsporting behaviour. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
And the same player who moaned about not knowing the rules (erm, laws) asked if I'd given a goal kick and said no a free kick and he moved ball back to where he thought free kick was. So I shouted he could have it anywhere in the 6 yard box. He responded since when.
Clueless players.
Ha! Sorry!

We are into YHTBT game management. If you find yourself having a lot of "discussions" about LotG they are f***ing with you. It's all low level dissent. What do you think you could you have done differently?

IMHO one clear warning works much better than "random" conversations. If you think you have a problem with players and potential YCs coming for: "verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart" then it might be one for both captains at the next stoppage. If it's grassroots then players might not know. You could also isolate the player who came close to the card and explain very loud and clear so players from both sides get the message. (I watched a FIFA officiated game yesterday and IMHO a ref missed a blatant case of this!).

In my "bad games" I have definitely interfered too much. Did you really need to tell him "anywhere in the 6 box box"? Once you've told him it's DFK typically no one minds if it's taken somewhere south of the penalty spot.

At some point you might want to consider if a bit of theatre might help. I noticed even the normally calm Michael Oliver used it yesterday. Someone started complaining and he gave them proper bulging eyes. For us lesser mortals, it typically means isolating a player and then giving the stern telling off, cutting the grass etc. You show that you've had enough, makes the next YC easier.

TBH sounds like you did well in a game with mouthy players

ok you got a penalty decision wrong, that happens to all of us now and again. You missed some pushes because of the sun and positioning you cant always be in the right position and with a low sun it happens. All your cautions sound bang on.

I confessed before on here that I am my own worst critic and I've come from the game today thinking that I didn't have a bad game, but was not near the standard I expect from myself.

First 10 minutes I already had 2 cautions.

First was for a foul tackle after about 6 minutes outside the box. It was not a DOGSO in my opinion and stuck with it. Though the offender disagreed with the challenge as they do and moaned that he was being carded.
2nd was for the opposing team a few minutes later claiming a handball on the halfway line by the touchline. I clearly shouted "no, move along". I turned and ran away to keep up with play. The player who originally shouted kept running behind me and shouting at me claiming handball. I told him twice to be quiet and get on with the game and he ignored and continued shouting at me telling me I'm not watching the game. So I stopped play and cautioned him for dissent. May sound harsh but in my opinion he ran a good 20-30 yards and kept shouting at me. I could have stopped play at next out and spoke with him and captain but I took the fact I'd already shouted 3 times, including the initial no, that I was not interested and he ignored me. This I feel, after the game, could have been managed better, but he did not moan at me once after that so maybe it helped him.
The 3rd was for exactly the same as the first, but opposing team. The attacking team vented it should have been red but again I felt the keeper was 100% beating the attacker to the ball despite the defenders late challenge. Reckless for me, yellow.
Finally, when at a time I felt the game slipping from my control, the keeper, at a corner, shouted as I've given a 3rd consecutive corner " ref, you need glasses". This was after his team mates argued 2 of the 3 corners should have been goal kicks and were still disagreeing. I took it as dissent. But apparently the keeper was only joking and is the teams comedian and meant nothing by it. For me, doesn't matter if he was joking, if I let it go I feel I would have lost all control.

I turned down a penalty appeal to the team losing 3-1 at the time, for the ball to go up the other end and in the goal. 4-1.
When replaying in my head, I got it wrong and it should have been a penalty. Initial thought was the attacker caught him, but replaying it in my mind the defender flicked his back foot up and as the attacker went to shoot he kicked him but the defender was not in any attempt playing the ball, he even had his back to it.

I missed a few pushes for being in poor positions. But this was down to the sun too. I couldn't see some stuff because I was looking directly at the sun, regardless of my positioning.

I've come away from this game a bit down from my performance and now wondering where it actually went wrong for me.
Your descriptions = Dissent = YC = No post-mortem required
Missed KMI is a cause for disappointment, but that's the business we're in!

You can certainly give a yellow card ("verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart"), and therefore an IFK, but you cannot give a free kick for unsporting behaviour with no card.

Your dissent cautions sound spot on to me. I might have left the 'you need glasses ref' in a game where there had been no previous problems but in the game you describe I'd be cautioning for that all day long.

You can certainly give a yellow card ("verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart"), and therefore an IFK, but you cannot give a free kick for unsporting behaviour with no card.

So where I've heard from more senior referees, especially when I've brought it up in the past, in that players have said this, their reply has always been "nothing in the laws" suggests it. And I've looked myself and kinda agree with them.
But I've always taken the line that if it deliberately distracts, as you you mention above, I would give a free kick and caution. But it has to be a clear advantage for me.

Am I wrong in doing it this way?

No you are not wrong. If they are clearly saying something that has distracted an opponent, be it "mine", "leave it", or "boo" or anything else, during play or restart then it's a simple application of the law. Caution and IFK.

Given you need to judge if it has actually distracted an opponent, you have to be reasonably sure (and I consider intent to). If it's an attempted distraction which didn't impact the opponent I still have a word at the next stoppage or on the run.

"Mine" or "leave it", are said to team mates to communicate far more often and there is "nothing in the laws" stopping them from saying it and that is where your senior colleagues were comming from.

Your dissent cautions sound spot on to me. I might have left the 'you need glasses ref' in a game where there had been no previous problems but in the game you describe I'd be cautioning for that all day long.
This is one of those occasions when you need a one-liner. It could be "Sorry mate, I left them on your girlfriends bedside table" or "I only wear them for driving" or the next time the keeper flaps at a cross, just ask him if he needs help catching the ball... if they're going to dish it out, then they've got to be able to take it.

Perfect one line ripostes, said at the right moment are a great way of getting smart hass players on your side showing you have a sense of humour and willing to let a bit of banter go. They certainly make mistakes, last thing they expect is a cheeky comment in their direction to lighten the mood as you offer a bit of payback...

Back