A&H

Back to back games

bmace3

So I’ve got an under 12s game then under 15s game straight after. Any tips on how to approach them? First time I’ll have done one after the other. The first one is a 9.30 so up early and a good breakfast but any tips on keeping sharp for both?

Thanks

The Referee Store
So I’ve got an under 12s game then under 15s game straight after. Any tips on how to approach them? First time I’ll have done one after the other. The first one is a 9.30 so up early and a good breakfast but any tips on keeping sharp for both?

Thanks

plenty liquids, then, more liquids, Stay hydrated.

tbh, an u12 should merely be a warm up for a 15s.

purely something that works for me is I change my top between games, makes me feel fresh and makes game two seem like approaching my first game.

I did back to back games both under 14 weekend first game was a breeze 2nd was mentally challenging rather then physically. Don’t rush between games at half time take as long as you like but not exceeding comp rules

Solely depends on your fitness. If you're physically fit then it's no problem at all. I'm not being facetious there, it's just a fact that if you're in good condition then an under 12 game followed by an under 15 game will be simple.

If you're not or you are elderly for example then the best way is to warm up properly and stretch between games and see how you go on. You'll soon realise what works or doesn't work for you.

I do 3 back to back games every weekend. Last week was u15, u17 and u18.
As mentioned, if you're fit, then it shouldn't be a problem, but some things to watch out for...
If calling teams, call them by their colors. I sometimes mistakenly call a later team by the earlier team name.
Have whatever score cards you are using ready to go so you don't waste time on admin.
If you do get a chance, take your feet out of your boots to give then a rest.
Assume the players in the second game will be watching some of the earlier game so you have a chance to show the type of referee you are.
I like to have my bag at the pitch rather than in the changing rooms, just in case I need anything.
I always bring a snack like banana or a few biscuits in case energy dips.
Plenty or water.

Solely depends on your fitness. If you're physically fit then it's no problem at all. I'm not being facetious there, it's just a fact that if you're in good condition then an under 12 game followed by an under 15 game will be simple.

If you're not or you are elderly for example then the best way is to warm up properly and stretch between games and see how you go on. You'll soon realise what works or doesn't work for you.
I’m only in my early thirties and have played football at least once a weekend up until the last couple of years. I’ve had a couple of herniated discs from playing football so I’m not as fit as I was but having been out running and in the gym I’m getting there. I know I’ll probably ache Sunday morning but I’m not playing so I’ll be okay 😂

As mentioned, if you're fit, then it shouldn't be a problem, but some things to watch out for...
If calling teams, call them by their colors. I sometimes mistakenly call a later team by the earlier team name.
Have whatever score cards you are using ready to go so you don't waste time on admin.
Assume the players in the second game will be watching some of the earlier game so you have a chance to show the type of referee you are.
I like to have my bag at the pitch rather than in the changing rooms, just in case I need anything.
Plenty or water.
Thanks for that! Will definitely take a quick snack and have plenty of fluids. Might even take a flask for a quick warm drink in between!

If its one straight after the other you'll already be warmed up. But I still find it useful to "go through the motions" of my warm up. I find it helps me get into the right mindset.

Also if there's anything 'important' or likely to play on your mind in the first game... I find writing a quick description/note down somewhere helps me have a clear head for the second fixture.

I’d add one thing. Sometimes it can be a challenge to recalibrate to the level of play. You need to be conscious of the change and the mental reset. (I find it easier to go from younger to older than the other direction.)

Plenty or water.
Completely agree with this - particularly getting all scorecards ready prior to turning up for the first match.
Use the time between the games to stay warm - you don't want to cool down too much between the games as the U15 will be noticeably faster (bigger kicks, more physical).
Teams can be a bit slow to move away between matches so there will be a period between matches where there is a lot of people around. Try to ID the new managers early, and get the pre-match stuff out the way. You'll probably feel a bit rushed, so if they ask to kick-off earlier for whatever reason, don't be afraid to say if you're not ready.

I’ve thought about doing all my match sheets beforehand so they’re ready to go. Just planning and getting my bag ready now as I’ve got 2 14 hour shifts to contend with first and realised I’ll need to leave time before the second game for a pitch inspection and net checks!

I’ve thought about doing all my match sheets beforehand so they’re ready to go. Just planning and getting my bag ready now as I’ve got 2 14 hour shifts to contend with first and realised I’ll need to leave time before the second game for a pitch inspection and net checks!
If you're on the same pitch then I wouldn't worry about doing the pitch inspection and goal checks again. If you're on a different pitch, you could arrive slightly earlier and do both pitches before the first game.

If you're on the same pitch then I wouldn't worry about doing the pitch inspection and goal checks again. If you're on a different pitch, you could arrive slightly earlier and do both pitches before the first game.
I believe it’s a different pitch. But I’ll check both as soon as I arrive then give the second pitch a quick once over as the teams are warming up

Plenty or water.
I like the 'keeping your bag with you' idea. It can help you outrun the unruly mob at the end of the match!

Did back to back lines (90' each) yesterday and a 70' middle today, not overly upset that my Isthmian U18s line tonight has been called off!

I like the 'keeping your bag with you' idea. It can help you outrun the unruly mob at the end of the match!
At County Level (or Sunday League or whatever), bag placement location is always my first consideration. Cancel that, believe it or not, I firstly consider where to park the car to optimise the 'post-match experience', in case the worst should come to the worst. One of these days, I'll be glad of such foresight ;)

At County Level (or Sunday League or whatever), bag placement location is always my first consideration. Cancel that, believe it or not, I firstly consider where to park the car to optimise the 'post-match experience', in case the worst should come to the worst. One of these days, I'll be glad of such foresight ;)

overly excited for Batman? " always mind your surroundings...."

Done two today.
Have to confess it was the first time I struggled in a very VERY long time with my 2nd game. I felt my hamstring tighten within 10 minutes of 2nd game starting (it was a 90 min U17 match). My first was 70 min U14 match where they played passing football. The pitch wasn't great, soft in many places making a quick "turn and run" slower in change of direction of play.
I think the 45 minutes between games, although should revitalise me, meant I was hanging around more than I normally do. Done a few basic stretches again but felt in pain for a lot more of the game.
Half time, I basically finished the drinks I had (was a very warm day up here in Scotland) to keep hydrated and powered on through.
Didnt help that the game involved the bottom 2 clubs who have won 1 game each this season from 15 played before the start and both just "hoofed" it up field at every opportunity. Long ball at its best.
Plenty of clumsy fouls (3 penalties, 1 missed).
And because I done my best to keep cards in pocket (2 cautions) I got called crap and couldn't control the game.
I felt I had complete control despite my injury.

Lesson here for me...
Warm up properly again and have more fluids on a warm day. Maybe a snack for the energy levels.

Plenty or water.
This is good for your bank account but is reffing for 4 hours leaving you able to give all 3 teams the best performance? I would doubt it.

I did 2 games today (second was a friendly) and my legs were shot by half time in the second game.

Back