A&H

Back after 5 years + sin bins

Refollie

Level 5 Referee
Hi all - I haven't posted on here for a long time but thought I'd make a return.

I've moved back to the UK from Australia after five years away. I refereed while Down Under but things were a little different... and I'll be back on the pitch here when lockdown ends. Any changes I should be looking out for?

The main difference to me seems to be temporary dismissals. In Australia it was much more simple... a caution for dissent meant a sin bin but the player would still have a yellow to their name when they returned to the FOP - so one more caution for anything (including dissent) and they'd be sent off. Similarly if you'd already been cautioned and you got a second yellow for dissent, you'd get sent off. It worked well.

Has anyone got a good way of remembering the different permutations for sin bins and yellow cards here in England? It all seems quite confusing when sin binned players can be subbed/can't carry on playing etc if they've already been cautioned. I'm finding it quite hard to memorise! Also are you finding players and club officials understand the various scenarios? Perhaps it doesn't come up all that much.

Thanks in advance!

The Referee Store
In Australia it was much more simple... a caution for dissent meant a sin bin but the player would still have a yellow to their name when they returned to the FOP - so one more caution for anything (including dissent) and they'd be sent off. Similarly if you'd already been cautioned and you got a second yellow for dissent, you'd get sent off. It worked well.
This is a non-standard way of using sin bin. Most of Australia did not use it. I know of only one local association using it for one year only before using the standard sin bin recommended by lotg.

This is a non-standard way of using sin bin. Most of Australia did not use it. I know of only one local association using it for one year only before using the standard sin bin recommended by lotg.
Yep, it is non-standard. I preferred it as it was simpler and essentially made the punishment for dissent more severe. Looking forward to seeing how it works here though, I've only heard good things.

You can think of a caution & sin bin as a different colour card (lets say blue). Your blue card tally is totally separate from your yellow card tally. Two yellows = dismissal, two blues = you're not coming back but you can be replaced. One yellow + one blue means nothing.

You can think of a caution & sin bin as a different colour card (lets say blue). Your blue card tally is totally separate from your yellow card tally. Two yellows = dismissal, two blues = you're not coming back but you can be replaced. One yellow + one blue means nothing.
A good start point for understanding, but not a complete picture, e. g. a cautionable offence whilst in the sin bin = no further part played, "two blues" player can be replaced only if not all subs used, etc.

Out of interest are you finding players understand if they can/can’t be subbed/can’t return to the game if they’ve been binned twice?I’ve revised it and understand it now but I imagine grassroots managers and players may be less across it.

Out of interest are you finding players understand if they can/can’t be subbed/can’t return to the game if they’ve been binned twice?I’ve revised it and understand it now but I imagine grassroots managers and players may be less across it.
It is very rare, and when it does happen they will not understand (or believe it!)

It's never happened to me. Cautions for dissent are far less common now and I've never issued two to the same player since sin bins were introduced. When a player comes back on I remind him that a further caution for dissent will be the end of his match.

Back