A&H

away team introducing a new ball

Tino Best

RefChat Addict
Level 6 Referee
On the game on Sunday 5 minutes into the game at a stoppage the home team asked if they could change the ball. I inspected the new ball and allowed play to continue. The first one was fine so I never found out what the problem was with it, but it seemed like a common sense decision to change balls. The game was very competitive and was 1-1 with 5 mins to go and both teams looking for a win, it was first v second in the league. The ball goes out for a throw in and travels maybe 20 metres from the pitch. The away coach then throws another ball to one of his players so the throw in could be taken quickly. Before it is taken I tell the player not to take it and get the ball. It was not miles away stuck in a tree or behind a hedge. Away coach not happy but I stood my ground. In my opinion thats trying to gain an unfair advantage, and the most important consideration I did not know what this new ball was like, it might have been unsafe, flat too hard. Coaches were not happy and said they just wanted to keep thing going. I am sure I was in my right to do this until the original ball had been retreived. I also had a spare match ball which had been checked by me before KO.

The Referee Store
What are the league rules? Most leagues have home team must have two match balls and away team one and the referee needs to inspect these prior to the match? Assessors will pick up on you delaying restarts (for use of one match ball). Just be careful and you could have easily said let me see the ball quickly and give it a quick check.

If that's all the coach is moaning about then you've had a good game. There are a lot worse things you can get wrong than that, and if it really is only 20m away then go and get it and play on with the correct ball.

If it is delaying the game going to get the original ball, ask to check the new ball first and provided it meets the requirements then carry on.

I will check the league rules on that one. I still think that if there has been three match balls inspected, 2 at the beggining and one after 5 mins there is no reason for a fourth ball to be used, especially as the first ball change was provided by the away team. Only found that out at the end, so the two coaches must have discussed the ball change. On a seperate note if a coach approaches you in a civil manner and asks for an explaination of a decision, would you answer, I did and the coach was fine and there were no problems, and was happy with the explanation. Or would it depend on the atmosphere of the match?

I On a seperate note if a coach approaches you in a civil manner and asks for an explaination of a decision, would you answer, I did and the coach was fine and there were no problems, and was happy with the explanation.

If it's genuinely civil and there's a natural break in play (eg. fetching a ball) and the explanation is brief, then yes. I would avoid getting into an argument. If necessary I'll offer to discuss it after the match, or at half time. I would never refuse to discuss a decision on principle but I might refuse to do so for practical reasons (eg. it would delay the game or likely cause an argument).

Some competitions have rules about whether multi-ball is allowed or not. For example the FA Cup rules say that multi-ball isn't allowed before the semi-finals - that doesn't mean that you have to wait after the ball has been hoofed out of the ground for someone to go and get it back, but rather any change of ball has to be initiated by the 4th official. At lower levels the referee would need to authorise the new ball before it was used.

The problem with someone changing the ball is you will often find that a team losing or drawing will be very keen to use a spare ball rather than get the one that was kicked out, but once they go in front that spare ball will mysteriously disappear so that there is a delay while the ball is fetched. I remember doing lots of step 2 games at a particular ground with an athletics track around it, and the kit man would try to chuck a ball on as soon the first one went onto the track. As soon as they went in front the aforementioned kit man would disappear along with his bag of balls. Used to cause all sorts of rows as multi-ball isn't allowed, but with no 4th official it was difficult for the assistant to stop as he may be miles away from the benches.

You should only play with balls you have checked. And only change the one you start with when it becomes defective or gets lost. If they moan about the ball, ask to check it before you change.

If they try to chuck a new one in, ask to check it before you restart. Then make a meal if it before rolling it back. This will negate any benefit of trying to switch balls to gain an advantage. Oh, and observers like it- it shows you are in control

If it's genuinely civil and there's a natural break in play (eg. fetching a ball) and the explanation is brief, then yes. I would avoid getting into an argument. If necessary I'll offer to discuss it after the match, or at half time. I would never refuse to discuss a decision on principle but I might refuse to do so for practical reasons (eg. it would delay the game or likely cause an argument).
The question was asked after the handshake after ft

multi ball is more and more widely stopped ...

I remember the old days of premier league seeing about 5/6 ball bags FULL to the brim of Nike footballs, and they'd just chuck a new one on each time!

ive always seen and done myself ... check 3/4 balls before the game, I give 2-3 back to the teams and take one myself ... if another ball gets used then I usually allow it unless someone complains - assessor doesn't know what balls you have or haven't checked, and if the players don't moan about it (trust one team at least will within seconds!) then carry on ... if they do then ill stop play there and then, check it and swap if required - restart with a drop ball situation

job jobbed

It's pretty common to "only" be given 2 balls to check around here - and if the first ball gets booted out for a throw, it's not uncommon for the same defensive approach to be rapidly applied to the replacement either.

Generally speaking, if the ball can be seen, I'd expect someone to fetch and continue with that one, but if it's lost in some hedges, I'll allow a replacement. And as long as it's inflated properly, I'm not too bothered if it's one I've checked before or not. I have stopped a team multi-balling once before, but mainly because they were clearly doing it to give their side an advantage over the other side, and it seemed fairest to just stop it completely. But if I can't detect either side abusing it for their own gain, I'm easy going.

The law states that the balls should be under the referees control and can only be changed with his/her permission.

We have no choice but to follow the law.

The law states that the balls should be under the referees control and can only be changed with his/her permission.

We have no choice but to follow the law.
What makes a ball under my control? I can give permission to use any old ball if I want - all it sounds like that says is that I have to know about it?

It's only law 2.
Go on.....

I see the bit stating it "must be under my control" and I see the bit stating "the ball may not be changed without the referees permission". I see nothing stating what "referees control" actually is, nothing limiting how many balls I may allow to be used in the course of a match, and nothing guiding me on when I should or shouldn't allow an out of play ball to be swapped.

I don't think law 2 helps this discussion in any way to be honest?

"Under the referee's control" sounds like it's more geared to the level where you have NARs or a fourth official.

On Saturday IF I get two suitable match balls then I'll check them and keep one for the kick off and leave the other with the home team for safe keeping.

The second one can't really be classed as being "under" my control, can it?

the law about the ball has nothing to do with a discussion about the ball and who is in control of it and it's replacement- sorry me bad

"Under the referee's control" sounds like it's more geared to the level where you have NARs or a fourth official.

On Saturday IF I get two suitable match balls then I'll check them and keep one for the kick off and leave the other with the home team for safe keeping.

The second one can't really be classed as being "under" my control, can it?
I will always ask for the replacement ball to be thrown to me before I allow it to be used. That is taking control in my book. If you are lucky enough to have a couple of balls to check before KO then great.

I will always ask for the replacement ball to be thrown to me before I allow it to be used. That is taking control in my book. If you are lucky enough to have a couple of balls to check before KO then great.
As I have stated the competition rules here usually specify how many match balls each team must have..two home team and one away team...they are all checked pre match and if required during play i.e. lost or defective another ball can be introduced provided it is one I have checked. original match ball reinstated as soon as it is available again! Paul absolutely correct any new balls being introduced are checked by you, that is taking control.

Back