A&H

Australian A-League to host global trial of cards for coaches

CapnBloodbeard

RefChat Addict
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/8b897eae0f99cc65d401d7cf722b4013

I'm not opposed to it. US High School soccer uses this system. It's probably the sort of thing that would have more use at grassroots level, I would think.
At this level? It's a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist. The problem exists because referees don't take action on abuse as it is. Or they do but they're highly selective about it. Muscat or Arnold could set fire to an orphan on the sideline and the refs won't do anything about it. Okon so much as burps and he'll get a warning.
Use the existing tools and FFS be consistent, and start being tougher, and the problem will fix itself.
But by allowing such incredibly extreme amounts of abuse on the field by players, of course the coaches will follow suit.
They also need to do something about the constant yelling at the 4th official. Constant appealing is also dissent and must be addressed.
HAL referees let down football in the entire country through their 'it's all good' approach to constant abuse and dissent

The Referee Store
:)Hi the link you have posted is on a subscription website so unless we subscribe we wont be sure what you are refereing to

A-League will trial use of yellow and red cards for misbehaving coaches in world-first football experiment
Tom Smithies, The Daily Telegraph
October 4, 2017 10:54pm
Subscriber only
IT promises to bring a new element of theatre to the A-League, in a world-first experiment to improve coaches behaviour.

Football’s international rule makers have given A-League bosses permission to trial coaches being given yellow and red cards for dissent and abuse of match officials or opposition players, in a very public attempt to reduce such behaviour.

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) only confirmed its agreement to the trial in the past few days, and its introduction will be delayed by several weeks as the detail is worked out - such as what penalty, if any, will be invoked for the accrual of several yellows.

2c16137c4b6a0ddf5b921904d7186636

Victory coach Kevin Muscat exchanges words with the sideline official.
But as part of a global attempt to reduce public displays of dissent towards match officials, Australian referees may show yellow and then red cards to coaches as soon as round four of the new season.

Competition chiefs believe that being explicitly warned via a yellow card will act as a deterrent, though A-League referees boss Ben Wilson emphasised that a warning system has been used for some time, but without the public codification of using cards.

CIVIL WAR: FIFA takeover would be embarrassing

ARNIE: Best is yet to come for Sydney FC

“IFAB has been looking at ways to increase respect for officials, and in the past in an Australian context there has been criticism of some behaviour in the technical areas in the A-League,” Wilson said. “IFAB has agreed that using yellow and red cards could be a way of affecting behaviour like that, and they want to see how it plays out.

“We’ve only just got permission to trial it, and we need to have quite a bit of discussion with referees, players and of course coaches about how it will work, and the detail of it. There’s some administrative and technical issues to consider, and we have to get everyone’s point of view.

“We already do a system called Ask, Tell, Remove, which we think has been effective, but certainly from a crowd point of view this would make explicit the warnings and consequences for coaches’ behaviour.”

ae33a9a04bb6d6c1cadb2a303f735c0e

Kenny Lowe lets a referee know how he feels about a decision.
Fans and viewers can also expect to see the ball in play during games for longer, with A-League referees being encouraged to add more time on for stoppages, and reduce the number of times the game is stopped for minor infringements.

Already in the FFA Cup this season there has been more minutes added in each half, and referees have sought to halt the game less.

“We want the A-League to be as entertaining as possible, and that includes letting the game flow,” said Wilson. “We’ve asked the referees not to penalise small fouls like a push for example where a team retains possession, and also to capture the time lost to stoppages more accurately.

“For some reason it seems to be accepted that there’s a minute or so added in the first half then three or four minutes in the second half. We want substitutions, goals, injuries all to be accounted for - if there are five or six minutes of stoppages, add that on.

Everything is worth a trial... There does seem a ridiculous amount of managers in stands in UK football for sometimes very trivial things... Some do deserve it so maybe its a good idea to trial.....and Muscat.... he's a complete and utter ****!!! Disgrace of a player back in the day...

Showing cards to coaches isn't necessary and feels a bit gimmicky. I've no need for cards to warn or dismiss a coach.

The cards are there to communicate with every one to show easily what decision has been made. I think it is a good idea espeicially where there are bigger crowds and it is more of a stepped approach. A manager might wind his neck in if he is on a yellow.

It's only going to work if a RC or accumulation of yellows means at least touchline ban. Would they consider stadium ban?

Could also be handy at grassroots, especially with referees who find it difficult to confront a manager.
I'm not opposed to it - but I can't see how this is going to fix anything when referees a) already don't use the tools available and b) treat different managers differently

Everything is worth a trial... There does seem a ridiculous amount of managers in stands in UK football for sometimes very trivial things... Some do deserve it so maybe its a good idea to trial.....and Muscat.... he's a complete and utter ****!!! Disgrace of a player back in the day...
He was no different in the a-league. And he was a protected species too, he could basically say or do whatever he wants and referees wouldn't do a thing about it. Not sure if they were terrified of him or what the deal is.

As a manager he's no different, an absolute disgrace to the game. Basically spends 90 minutes in the face of the 4th official abusing him. And of course, absolutely nothing happens. Different standards being applied to different teams. So sick of seeing it.

Could also be handy at grassroots, especially with referees who find it difficult to confront a manager.
I'm not opposed to it - but I can't see how this is going to fix anything when referees a) already don't use the tools available and b) treat different managers differently
Surely the message this sends out is that managers shouldn't be treated differently? I know as a referee what I feel counts as dissent and earns a yellow card for a player - what this move does is reinforce that the same standards should be applied to managers/coaches as well.

Back