A&H

ATM v LFC

GraemeS

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
A few incidents in last night's match have sparked some discussion on twitter, but I think I'm with the officials on all of them.

1st ATM goal - 2:41 - Long VAR delay around this, I presume asking the question if #11 interfered with the defender on the line from an offside position. Again I think this is one of those where there is maybe a case that this feels like he's affected the defender and should therefore be offside, but no chance of it being given under current laws

Griezmann Red Card - 6:00 - this seems to be the most controversial, but no idea why! He's put his studs into the side of Firmino's head - force has to be incredibly minimal for this to not be red, and I don't think that's the case here.

LFC Penalty - 7:00 - Clear penalty for me, very weird decision by the defender to try and challenge in that way. But I think this is more controversial because there are some similarities to...

ATM Penalty overturned - 8:18 - It's very soft, but I didn't expect VAR to get involved and overturn. Similar to the LFC penalty, the defender does lean into the attacker from a bit of a distance and there is a bit of contact, which is usually enough for an on-field decision to be upheld. At the end of the day though, it's not enough for a penalty, so I think the right decision was reached despite the procedure taken to get there.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I'm surprised it has taken so long for a thread to start on this match. I'd agree with you on 3, perhaps 3.5, or the 4 incidents.

1st ATM Goal - This is the one I'm not quite in agreement with. It's a tight call but my instinct is that no 11 is just close enough and doin enough to be interfering.

Griezmann Red Card - I've said it before in these forums but so many people, some referees included, have a relaxed attitude to head high, studs up challenges. If the same action had happened knee high almost everyone would call that a red card. At head height it's arguably worse.

LFC Penalty - I see challenges like that, somewhere on the pitch, in many of my matches and the offending team just can't understand why it is a foul! Crazy challenge for a professional player which ultimately cost his team the game.

ATM Penalty - Contact itself does not signify a foul. Attacker went down far too easily. Well done to the referee and VAR team on this one.

I think it's offside for "making an obvious action", but can also accept the VAR not getting involved as a clear error. It's a really close VAR decision though.

Personally I thought it was a pretty obvious offside, the player in the offside position stopped Matip from making any attempt to clear the goal bound shot.

Red card and the penalty given were very obvious for me. I was surprised the Athletico one was overturned, he did go down very easily but it didn't strike me as a clear and obvious error.

Back