A&H

Assisting and educating youth clubs

Andrew.Rainsbury

Rainbow74
Observer/Tutor
Hi all,
First post - so apologies if this is in the wrong area!

Recently qualified and enjoying u7's to u13's East Kent Youth League... done seniors and sadly too much respect has been lost.
So prefer to educate where it's appreciated.
So on that subject...
I referee myself sons teams u8's & u10's - I'd like to offer the coaches some assistance on certain laws and acceptable behaviour - all is fine at both clubs but feel that as I have bothered to get involved - rather than educating on Saturdays it would be a good idea to pass on knowledge picked up recently.
Thoughts? ... ideas of format?
Many thanks.

The Referee Store
Get involved with the committee at your sons' club - get them to add LotG updates to newsletters they send out. Perhaps, if you have the experience yourself, run some sessions for parents / coaches on running the line...

Oh, and try not to referee your sons' teams once they get to U11 and upwards. It's a lose lose route to mental torture, because you will never feel as if you get the "bias balance" right.

Oh, and try not to referee your sons' teams once they get to U11 and upwards. It's a lose lose route to mental torture, because you will never feel as if you get the "bias balance" right.
A couple of years back now, I reffed my son's team fairly regularly up to U13. Understand where you're coming from re the 'bias balance', but genuinely think it is possible if you simply treat it as any other game. Certainly my cub marks those seasons (with all the usual caveats that go with them!) were in a very good place .... only regret is that I never managed to nail my lad with a yellow ;):devil:

i do my lads games fairly regularly... (U16's now) if i'm going to be at the games anyways i always volunteer as that means theres a referee free to do another game somewhere

Hi All... and thanks for the responses...
I guess what I was trying to elude to was: What content would do you feel would be of benefit to youths u8-u10's for a breakout session alongside the coaches?
for example - too much TV... recently I pulled a player up as he thought he kept getting fouled... I ran alongside and said "listen 'x' it's my job to decide when you've been fouled - so leave it to me please!"
I think leaning in - and arms raised is a worthy point, throw ins etc... ? all thoughts welcomed - Thanks in advance,

@Russell Jones / @richard ramjane - I try and ensure that I come across as independent, and that my son's team don't know me, and that nobody knows my son is in the squad. Harder now (they are now U16) as you get to know the other teams involved. It's those 50/50 calls though that cause post-match reflection; you have to be careful not to "side" with the other team. Whilst I'm happy to do my son's matches (otherwise invariably they won't have a referee, particularly at home, and witnessing the team's manager referee a game without even a whistle on one occasion...), I don't enjoy them as much as other games. I'm also club sec, and prefer not to referee any match involving a team from my club. Just saves the grief!

Back