A&H

Assistant referee etiquette

Gaz

Level 7 Referee
Hi all,

As it says on the tin really, I'm a newly qualified ref a couple of games in who has just been appointed to my first Assistant Ref game. Just wondering how I would go about it in terms of contacting the referee before (never met previously), if I need to just turn up on the day or should I get in touch beforehand?

Any pointers for what I should expect during and after the game welcome also :)

Cheers

The Referee Store
your ref should contact you, if not give the person who appointed you a ring and ask them to give you the refs number or something along those lines.
Suit, tie etc.either the ref will pick you up or meet you there. if your meeting the ref there then be there at least an hour before k/o.
your ref will explain all that is needed for during the match. apart from that the ref will deal with everything caution reports etc and if any other info is needed you will be told before the game.

try do everything the ref says to you in pre match and dont worry about the mistakes, it happens to everyone although minimise them if you can.

apart from that enjoy it! not many level 9's who get to assistant referee, what league is it?

thanks arran- and a swift response if I may say so myself ;)

its the manchester football league, the premier division is a is the one that has the 3 match officials. the two other appointments I've had- my first game and the one on saturday- were middles in the 3rd tier of the comp. loving every minute, the missus laughs at me but I've definitely caught the bug. can't wait for saturdays at the mo!
thanks for your advice, il give him a few days and then get in touch.

cheers
(edited)

no worries,

its great once you get the bug! its the best think building up a week to the next game.

if the games this weekend he should have contacted you by today at least. I'd have a look in the handbook for his number and just pop him a quick call over.
Its getting silly now the amount of times i've passed a ref on a multi pitch and said to them "oh im on your line next week" and they've responded "i've got a game next weekend? i haven't checked the website i normally just wait for a call off the club secretary"

anyway good luck!

sorry no, told a lie (i.e. got my terminology mixed up!). contrib league would be unbelievable but it most certainly isn't one!
its Level 11 on the football pyramid so thats the one below a supply league is it? apologies for exciting all the Level 3s and 4s, still learning the terminology myself... :S

was going to say :D yes its step 11, unsure about what is supply league and what is not.

Just pulling your leg Gaz, couldn't help myself! I hope it goes great tomorrow.

Remember, you're a ref assisting the guy in the middle, not a club lino or a timekeeper for the crowd (!) And don't turn around, keep facing the FOP. And NEVER fetch the ball for a player (unless it's right by you or coming towards you so you can stop it, common sense prevails!)

also don't engage with the crowd! had a game between bradford city u18 v notts county u18 and the other liner told the away manager that 44 mins had been played and they were losing 2-1, needless to say the away team manager stormed on the pitch to berate the ref! if anyone asks from the crowd just don't reply, if its an official just say something along the lines of "he/she will let you know when its time"

Back