A&H

Assistant Flag Styles?

Harey

Hi,

Apologies for a daft question. Why is there different styles of flag for Assistant Referees (Yellow, Red/Yellow Squares, Red/Yellow Diamonds) and what is the choice and history?

Thanks
Chris

The Referee Store
Traditionally it is to identify which assistant is which and it would be listed in the match day program (e.g. Mr Fred Smith (Red & Yellow flag), Mr Joe Bloggs (Yellow flag)). Not so much the case anymore, but the senior assistant referee who is going bench side will always take the quartered flag when different styles are being used.

Thanks @RustyRef, excellent response. I noticed these days the Premier League uses squares, and UEFA diamonds?
Again, not much more than tradition - I have seen diamonds here in the UK, but they are rare. You can tell the senior assistant with those flags still, they will tend to have orange borders where the junior flag will have yellow sides.

When I first got my level 4 having differentiated flags was mandatory on supply and contrib games, don't think it is any more but most officials still work that way.

Isn’t this an English thing, using 2 diff patterns?

I was hoping the thread was going to be about flagging styles: plenty of Germans flag while moving, Finns can be almost horizontal for throws sometimes and are always 15 degrees lower than the EPL... drives me nuts when I see a flag pointing almost horizontal at the corner flag... how TF am is anyone supposed to know if that’s a goal kick, throw or corner you lemon!

Isn’t this an English thing, using 2 diff patterns?

I was hoping the thread was going to be about flagging styles: plenty of Germans flag while moving, Finns can be almost horizontal for throws sometimes and are always 15 degrees lower than the EPL... drives me nuts when I see a flag pointing almost horizontal at the corner flag... how TF am is anyone supposed to know if that’s a goal kick, throw or corner you lemon!
It's a guide used by spectators to determine which side the benches are on

... drives me nuts when I see a flag pointing almost horizontal at the corner flag... how TF am is anyone supposed to know if that’s a goal kick, throw or corner you lemon!

I agree entirely. I find it particularly difficult at night, under lights.

(Note to self - next time I work with NARs, include it in my brief to really exaggerate the downward pointing of a flag when indicating a corner)

Back