A&H

Assessment basics

Essex ref

Hi all,

I have never been assessed before. I was just looking for some advice on nailing the basics and just what to to except really.Will the assessor let me know he is coming or can he be there without me knowing? Also can someone explain what is happening with the new promotion form and the new criteria for 7-6 please.

Thanks

The Referee Store
The assessor should make contact with you to say they will be at their game. They will want to observe your preparations such as carrying out a field of play and player equipment inspection. They will consider the level of the game, for example was it a challenging game with a lot for your to do in a maybe a local derby or a crunch cup tie. They will look at your performance against the expected level of competency for your new level. They will decide if you are below, at, above or significantly above the standard expected. They will give an overview of your performance and offer some general advice to help with any areas for development.. They should not talk to you at half time, but should spend around 10 minutes de-briefing you after the game talking through your strengths and development areas. They should also clarify anything which wasn't clear from their position. You should receive your report within 3-4 days of the game being played.

My experience of the Essex FA process is that they will invariably call you either Friday evening or early Saturday to let you know you are being assessed (assuming this is a Saturday afternoon fixture) and to confirm the location/time. The instruction is very clear from the county, all assessors are to call the referee before the game and let him/her know.

You won't be assessed unless you put the fixture on the online notification system, which needs to be done by Weds evening (I think).

In Middlesex for 7-6 and 6-5 we do not contact the referee before the game, but for 5-4 then we do and confirm the time to meet for pre match briefing for neutral assistants.

In Middlesex for 7-6 and 6-5 we do not contact the referee before the game, but for 5-4 then we do and confirm the time to meet for pre match briefing for neutral assistants.

Does the 7-6 and 6-5 referee know that you will be coming though?

Does the 7-6 and 6-5 referee know that you will be coming though?
No they do not, the belief bring that some referees may try and change their style if they know they are being assessed. This can work for or against the referee and so it is better they are not informed. In saying that once I arrive I observe from a reasonable distance, but once the game kicks off I move to a nearer vantage point or next to the pitch and do not hide in the bushes as some have been know to do in the past. They submit all their games on a monthly basis and then amend and send updates to the assessing co-ordinator as necessary. For Middlesex they need to include all their qualifying matches. E.g. Competive under 18 and OA football and not just 'cherry pick' what games they think they might want to be assessed on or omit those they do not want to be assessed on.

Rgds,
Kevin

No they do not, the belief bring that some referees may try and change their style if they know they are being assessed. This can work for or against the referee and so it is better they are not informed. In saying that once I arrive I observe from a reasonable distance, but once the game kicks off I move to a nearer vantage point or next to the pitch and do not hide in the bushes as some have been know to do in the past. They submit all their games on a monthly basis and then amend and send updates to the assessing co-ordinator as necessary. For Middlesex they need to include all their qualifying matches. E.g. Competive under 18 and OA football and not just 'cherry pick' what games they think they might want to be assessed on or omit those they do not want to be assessed on.

Rgds,
Kevin

Seems a bit old school and not striking up the best relationship between referee's and assessors.

I thought the assessment process is designed to develop referee's? Not to hide and try to catch them out.

Seems a bit old school and not striking up the best relationship between referee's and assessors.

I thought the assessment process is designed to develop referee's? Not to hide and try to catch them out.

The development comes from the post match debrief and the written assessment, which should offer honest critique and where necessary a way to improve a referee's performance to help them achieve their current promotion and beyond. If a referee were to change their style as it was assessment day and then return to bad habits for games they knew they would not be assessed, is that really doing them or their colleagues any favours in the long run?

The development comes from the post match debrief and the written assessment, which should offer honest critique and where necessary a way to improve a referee's performance to help them achieve their current promotion and beyond. If a referee were to change their style as it was assessment day and then return to bad habits for games they knew they would not be assessed, is that really doing them or their colleagues any favours in the long run?

I thought the role of the assessor at 7-6 and 6-5 was more to coach and provide that guidance, hence the reason going to a tick box style rather than a lengthy written report?

It's not about returning to bad habits as a good assessment will provide real value to the referee's performance to improve. The silly things like not briefing every single CAR even if one is changed in the last few mins of the game who you know has done it before fine for you. And not doing every single substitution on a parks pitch off the pitch at the half way line etc (As you're the only referee who will be doing it because you know you're getting assessed).

You'll be foolish if you think referee's don't do things slightly different at all levels of the game when they know they're being assessed.

I thought the role of the assessor at 7-6 and 6-5 was more to coach and provide that guidance, hence the reason going to a tick box style rather than a lengthy written report?

It's not about returning to bad habits as a good assessment will provide real value to the referee's performance to improve. The silly things like not briefing every single CAR even if one is changed in the last few mins of the game who you know has done it before fine for you. And not doing every single substitution on a parks pitch off the pitch at the half way line etc (As you're the only referee who will be doing it because you know you're getting assessed).

You'll be foolish if you think referee's don't do things slightly different at all levels of the game when they know they're being assessed.

I'm not going to drag this out anymore as we are all entitled to our opinions, but my final words to your comments are, I always coach the 7-6 and 6-5 candidates and although the tick boxes work well a few words to reinforce the post match debrief offering the referee a way out to the next level is also of use and necessary.
During my promotion seasons, which were not very long ago I always told the two teams that I was on promotion and I had no idea if an assessor was turning up or not, so I'll be doing things as per the book as much as possible, I trust you understand. Subs etc will all be at halfway and will have to wait for me to come over. I'll be doing a prematch kit check so all jewellery off etc...granted it was not always welcomed, but it did help at times when the card comes out for the first reckless tackle or obvious dissent that others not in promotion maybe inclined to not caution for. I have even heard comments of 'he warned you he was going to be by the book', from the sidelines. As for parks football then if you cannot apply the law here then find a league where you can.
Of course people will change slightly when they know they are being assessed, many of the refs I assess actually know me, so no point in hiding. I was very active until a long term illness cut short my 5-4 promotion and then all refereeing, but I do find the best referees on the promotion scheme are the ones who referee consistently the same way week in week out. I often go and watch games for fun and to see my mates, as well as to assess so see it first hand. Luckily I became an assessor soon after becoming a level 6 and so it has enabled me to stay involved, albeit in a different, but still rewarding way.

All the best,
Kevin

Sorry @Kevnot but this simply cannot be correct. The FA guidance now clearly states that the referee should be informed of the assessment and pre-match contact should take place before the day of the game too. The approach you mention is incredibly old fashioned and, IMO, counter productive.

Any referee who wishes to progress up the refereeing ladder needs to get used to the presence of scrutiny as it only increases the higher up you go. Better to learn the lesson to just be yourself and referee your normal way in the presence of an assessor/coach/observer at a low level than one where the level of expectation and scrutiny is already naturally higher.

Sorry @Kevnot but this simply cannot be correct. The FA guidance now clearly states that the referee should be informed of the assessment and pre-match contact should take place before the day of the game too. The approach you mention is incredibly old fashioned and, IMO, counter productive.

Any referee who wishes to progress up the refereeing ladder needs to get used to the presence of scrutiny as it only increases the higher up you go. Better to learn the lesson to just be yourself and referee your normal way in the presence of an assessor/coach/observer at a low level than one where the level of expectation and scrutiny is already naturally higher.

I'm only going on the guidance from my county and until they tell me otherwise then I must follow their instructions. I have attended their latest assessor training and so far their stance has not changed. In saying that though if a referee doesn't spot me wandering around the touch line with notebook in hand, knowing they could be assessed then they need to work on their observational skills.

I have seen the new FA guidelines which also include making comments on a 'referee's physique'. Now their is no way I'm going to do that directly. I may mention fitness to improve positioning if necessary but there is no way I'm telling them to alter their physique to enhance their bid for promotion. There are some other wordings that are not great in the new assessor guidelines but cannot remember them off hand.

Like all big changes it will take tine for everyone to adapt and some assessors like myself may find it easier than others that have used the old way for so long. But as you know being a level 3 and having had many assessments over the years, some you will like and some you will not, but as long as they offer you fair opinion and a way to improve then you may choose to try it and see if it works for you. I had a not very helpful assessment going 6-5 but after re-reading it several times I did find some positives and also some things to try, a couple of which I did adopt and it improved me. This also gave me the idea to become an assessor so I got a better understanding of what is required and then I found I quite enjoyed coaching new referees and offering advice where possible.

All the best for your season
Kevin

Hi @Kevnot It's in the level 6-5 under fitness - Demonstrates the physique, fitness and healthy 'perception' that is required to referee football at this level. I disagree with that too, providing they are fit if they are naturally stocky then to referee at level 5 then who is anyone to comment on their physique.

I do agree that it is old school and pretty poor in my opinion that your county take this approach. I think it's great that you're assessing.

Have a good season too.

Hi @Kevnot It's in the level 6-5 under fitness - Demonstrates the physique, fitness and healthy 'perception' that is required to referee football at this level. I disagree with that too, providing they are fit if they are naturally stocky then to referee at level 5 then who is anyone to comment on their physique.

I do agree that it is old school and pretty poor in my opinion that your county take this approach. I think it's great that you're assessing.

Have a good season too.
Out of curiosity (as it won't apply to me for a few years) do they provide guidance on what an assessor should look for when deciding whether a referee demonstrates the appropriate "physique"?

For example, would a ref that is more than capable with keeping up with the game but might be a bit on the large side be acceptable, or, do they want everyone going from 6-5 to be a flat bellied steely eyed dealer of cards?

Out of curiosity (as it won't apply to me for a few years) do they provide guidance on what an assessor should look for when deciding whether a referee demonstrates the appropriate "physique"?

For example, would a ref that is more than capable with keeping up with the game but might be a bit on the large side be acceptable, or, do they want everyone going from 6-5 to be a flat bellied steely eyed dealer of cards?
More to do with round shoulders, lack of eye contact with players and looking at the ground just after making key decisions.

Performance Competency 4 – Fitness

· Demonstrates the physique, fitness and healthy ‘perception’ that is required to Referee football at this level.

· Shows a degree of stamina and is not seen to be tiring as the game progresses

· Possesses the ability to change their running pace and is seen to sprint and manoeuvre quickly into position where and when the game dictates.

Demonstrates the physique, fitness and healthy ‘perception’ that is required to Referee football at this level - Thats me f****d then!!

A tad frustrating as i'm a bloody good but am fat

Is that an Essex FA system because I've not heard of anything like that up here in South Yorkshire?

Yes, getting back to the OP who mentioned Essex FA in his question - this is only the way Essex do it (using an online Google Form), and no updated form = no assessment = no promotion. The guidance is also that any referee who does not fill the form in quickly enough or on time (e.g. fills all of the fixtures in retrospectively) is guilty of poor admin and will also fail.

At the end of the season, the county use the form to see how many games the referee has done, so no getting away with not filling it in.

I personally believe it is far, far better to be told you are being assessed. No, I don't necessarily behave any differently when not being assessed, but as ASM says it is just a prelude to the increasing levels of scrutiny you get put under as you up the ladder. It is natural to do things a little differently when being assessed, but you have to get used to it.

Back